Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Kobold

Default Legacy Items & Mosscovered Twig

Was just watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwiV6UNIkmk and I was thinking that I never had a chance to get a Mosscovered Twig before it was removed from EQ. Does this fall into the category of "legacy item"?
Old 10-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Fire Giant

MCT stopped dropping and then was retroactively nerfed, I would say it is a legacy item.

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 10-20-2019, 12:33 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Yes. Definitely falls into the category of legacy item as you can no longer get that item. There are a few Kunark items that are retroactively nerfed, and a few that are not. To this day it honestly felt like how they did item changes was dependent on the developer that was doing them.

Example:
- Runed Fighter's Staff was removed, and retroactively removed Warrior from the usable classes. I believe this was stated to be for balance reasons.
- Mosscovered Twig was removed, and retroactively changed it to secondary only. This was definitely for balance reasons.
- Fungus Covered Great Staff was removed, but never retroactively changed. It obviously introduces some balance issues. So why would it not just be retroactively changed to be clickable from inventory by only DRU and SHM? Clearly they had the ability to do that since Circlet of Shadow was clickable from inventory by only NEC and SHD. It would've been easy to just change it to be clickable by the correct classes only. Instead we end up with a post-nerf version that requires it to be equipped? Wut? Combine that with the fact that the pre-nerf just continues floating around with the ability to click from inventory by anyone and it is just confusing.

A lot of the things they did back in the day just made no sense given immediate examples already in the game.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes. Definitely falls into the category of legacy item as you can no longer get that item. There are a few Kunark items that are retroactively nerfed, and a few that are not. To this day it honestly felt like how they did item changes was dependent on the developer that was doing them.

Example:
- Runed Fighter's Staff was removed, and retroactively removed Warrior from the usable classes. I believe this was stated to be for balance reasons.
- Mosscovered Twig was removed, and retroactively changed it to secondary only. This was definitely for balance reasons.
- Fungus Covered Great Staff was removed, but never retroactively changed. It obviously introduces some balance issues. So why would it not just be retroactively changed to be clickable from inventory by only DRU and SHM? Clearly they had the ability to do that since Circlet of Shadow was clickable from inventory by only NEC and SHD. It would've been easy to just change it to be clickable by the correct classes only. Instead we end up with a post-nerf version that requires it to be equipped? Wut? Combine that with the fact that the pre-nerf just continues floating around with the ability to click from inventory by anyone and it is just confusing.

A lot of the things they did back in the day just made no sense given immediate examples already in the game.
I think that's what makes the Manastone the most interesting example. The item sort of doesn't actually get nerfed whatsoever technically outside of not dropping, but just doesn't come along to future content. Wonder if any other items got that treatment
Old 10-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Kobold

I would love to try out a prenerf Mosscovered Twig because the DPS rumors have always been legendary.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would love to try out a prenerf Mosscovered Twig because the DPS rumors have always been legendary.
i tried so hard to get my MCT before they nerfed thinking they wouldnt nerf all the OG ones, but alas they did. It was fun.

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 10-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

DPS on it was ok, but it allowed for you to solo push to break interrupts which was great, but doesn't matter anymore.
Closed Thread