Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your requirement is to "solo to some extent" and not "I just blew everything I had on this one mob and now I can look for a group while I heal/med up" then neither is a good option for you. I mean a paladin can solo easier I guess, not having played one, but if you played a wizard on live than soloing these two probably won't be like you remember, especially at higher levels.
Cleric will solo far better than Paladin purely by virtue of being a caster over melee
Old 11-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raclen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cleric nukes vs undead are as efficient as any other classes nukes in the game, plus they get buffs, heals, can melee okay, root, lull. They are pretty good solo actually.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Sarnak

If you decide to roll a cleric I recommend you roll it on Teal and not green. There is a heavy population of Druids and Clerics on green so getting groups there is harder. I sat on Green for two hours unable to group my cleric and did the /move to teal where I got a group in 15 minutes.

If you go Paladin however then I highly recommend Green because it has a high population of players but a shortage of tanks. You would be most sought after for grouping.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 11-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Large Rat

How does a ranger fare solo vs a paladin? I know they can fill in as a tank in a pinch in groups, but thought maybe they would have a bit easier of a time soloing when time is short.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Fire Giant

Rangers do have one option to solo very efficiently with animals. Snare it, panic it and whack it from behind. Rangers can also split camps when outside (harmony) and since they have sow, at least outside they are pretty safe.

As for being tanks, rangers obviously are less armoured than other melee classes. If healing is not an issue, rangers are (arguably) even better at generating aggro than SKs or pallies. Flame lick and snare are very good aggro spells, both very cheap. And rangers are the best at aggro kiting, if tanking is too dangerous (and enough space is available).

Even better at almost anything a ranger can do is a bard though.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame2719 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How does a ranger fare solo vs a paladin? I know they can fill in as a tank in a pinch in groups, but thought maybe they would have a bit easier of a time soloing when time is short.
Rangers are, BY FAR, the best soloers in the game in the 1-50 game.... No other class comes even remotely close.

At 50, fighting higher level things (especially casters), it evens out a bit more.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers are, BY FAR, the best soloers in the game in the 1-50 game.... No other class comes even remotely close.

At 50, fighting higher level things (especially casters), it evens out a bit more.
?
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
?
Archery!!! Rangers have high skill with it....great access to bows (early on trueshot is plenty, and later the upgraded version just gives them more luxury in range....allowing them to do stuff like solo level 50 casters outdoors).

They get root at 15, which lets them root rot stuff easily with archery indoors. (Flame lick + their DD line of spells + archery is fairly good damage).

They kill a little slower than other classes this way....BUT they make up for it with no downtime and the ability to kill FAR FAR over their level (for normal exp hunting, it can be worth it to take down +8 level targets....takes longer, but the exp is pretty good).

Basically, in classic world....archery rangers are BEASTS in terms of power. They can casually kill just about everything...and the ability to self-sow and invis and a range of other utility spells makes them just great all around.

Like my level 7 ranger was going through karanas the other day....saw the ghoul messenger up (deep red, level 28 i think).....and I just shrugged and started shooting. Ran into someone else soon after who helped melee, but it was agro on me most the time from the damage I'd been doing (once i get flame lick, they make GREAT duo partners with a pet class to arrow kite stuff with).

I've played a lot of things, and archery has always been the most crazy in terms of breaking the rules of the game. "Oh, was that red? I didn't notice" type of power. Even necromancers and shamans need to watch their targets...
Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

A ranger without items handed to him from higher dungeons is a sad state of humanity.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Banned

Kiting deep reds for 45 minutes isn't efficient, it sounds fun though.
Closed Thread