Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 09:23 PM
Orc

ZEMs should fluctuate every week to balance dungeon populations. They were briefly used that way on live, but there aren't good records of how or when that happened. So we're stuck with a situation that makes zero sense when you factor in an extremely knowledgeable player base.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Planar Protector

Befallen has one of the highest ZEMs in the game. It has been busy enough on green but the huge ZEM doesn't exactly draw a lot of people there on blue.

Its a cool zone too.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Planar Protector

Well sir actually you can lvl 18-50 in Highkeep faster than upper/lower Guk and make more plat plus vendor/bank in zone. But I see your point would be fun to see people going to obscure zones chasing the weekly zem.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Sarnak

I was in Befallen earlier tonight and the XP was awesome. When we could even zone in, because a wandering Ghoul was completely preventing anyone from moving past the first room.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Banned

I think an EQ server with drops shuffled around and ZEM based on difficulty would be a lot of fun if you could get a population around it.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgo86 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was in Befallen earlier tonight and the XP was awesome. When we could even zone in, because a wandering Ghoul was completely preventing anyone from moving past the first room.
I think that one ghoul spawn is something that if removed would actually make the game a lot better.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 11-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I am someone that has always wanted to go off the beaten path, but I've had a reality check the last couple days that made me realize what the core problems are.

-guk has an insane zem for no reason. Compare to cazicthule's zem of 85 and there is literally no reason to go to cazicthule over guk.

-guk has lower hp mobs. I don't know why this is, but in general it's just way easier to kill frogs. I brought a group to runnyeye and for some reason everything had insane hp.

-All the other dungeons have tons of healers, casters, or punishing mechanics. guk has this but not to the same degree.

So basically, if you actually try some of these unpopular zones, you'll realize really quick that there is just no reason to not go to guk. Honestly the original dev's just did a terrible job balancing the zones and since we're using all those values there's no way to fix it. There is just no good place to level other than guk 18+ on antonica if you actually want good exp, period.

edit: I forgot to add sol a/sol b and najena are fine as well. But your options are limited.
Back in the day they used to rotate ZEMs, so CT had it at some point and people went there. Just not on P99 anymore
Old 11-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Befallen has one of the highest ZEMs in the game. It has been busy enough on green but the huge ZEM doesn't exactly draw a lot of people there on blue.

Its a cool zone too.
Because Befallen's mobs are so sparse and the respawn so long, it's hard to support more than one group per floor... and even that's kind of tedious. There's also no real "wow" factor in the rare mobs or their drops.

Befallen feels like a dungeon that was designed by someone who wants their dungeons to be "realistic" - a dank hole in the ground that you don't enjoy, risk life and limb in, and come out with 12 silver and a rat ear.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:02 PM
Large Bat

Agree. Please change the experience players get for going to random zones on random weeks and balance out Norrath !!
Don't even tell people which zone has the increased exp, just make players adventure worldwide and kill stuff to find out hahaha
Decrease exp in overpopulated zones pleaseeee
Old 11-05-2019, 11:13 PM
Sarnak

Sadly we've known forever that it's like this. I've always believed that ZEMs need a good revamp. Should they be removed entirely? Most people will say dungeons are harder so they deserve a higher EXP bonus. But dungeons are also where most of the loot comes from, so is that bonus enough? IMO the ZEMs should be going to the dungeons no one goes to because the loot is crap.

But another major problem is the amount of the ZEMs. Why on earth would certain zones give like DOUBLE EXP? That's a bit too steep. The EXP bonuses should be nowhere near that high.

I have to ponder what SOE was thinking with the zones they chose to give EXP bonuses. Guk and Solusek make you think they gave it to the biggest most twisting and confusing dungeons. But then they go and give it to Unrest, one of the smallest zones in the game and simplest dungeon layout - and it's outdoor anyway. ;\

TLDR: ZEM is one of EQ's largest failures.