Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Aviak

I think paladins are underrated soloers. They do suffer from low dps, but their survivability is almost unmatched. They've got a lot of tools to be successful in a lot of zones. Lulls and roots are great for camp splitting and crowd control. Stuns and bash make short work of caster mobs. IVU makes travel through otherwise deadly areas like LGuk a breeze. They can wear the best armor and stack hp and AC buffs as well. And obviously heals reduce downtime considerably.

They're not top tier soloers by any means, but they are definitely capable. And they bring tremendous value to groups as one of the top 2 group tanks in the game, so it's not like soloing is all you'll do.

Blue Server
Aegnor Eldruin - 60 High Elf Wizard <Dial a Port>
Vizeryn_D'Raethe - 60 Erudite Paladin
Formerly of <Azure Guard>
Old 11-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

My vote is for cleric.

Higher in demand, especially end game.
solo via-undead camps

..Paladin = flash of light, lay on hands, Divine Strength.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 11-08-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Banned

So far my experience on Teal so far is that 75% of people are playing Priests. Use that knowledge to your own liking.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:31 AM
Sarnak

As a former Paladin on live during Kunark/Velious era, I second the affirmation that paladins are capable of soloing. When Kunark comes out and you have Deepwater Helm it gets much easier, but it's still quite doable. Just grab your 2hs and nuke undead between swings.

Obviously, as a PAL or CLR, though, you are pretty firmly locked into undead-only zones. So newbie zones, then Unrest, then Lguk, and you will essentially LIVE in Lguk 30-50. That, I would say, is the worst part. I used to joke that my pally got his mail delivered to Lguk because he spent so much time there. And it can be a frustrating experience, where you're soloing and you get the itch to try another zone, spend the time journeying there, pop your LFG tag, get nothing, and eventually give up and have to go back to Lguk.

Also, you don't have runspeed OR invis vs live. Getting around is a huge pain.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:55 AM
Fire Giant

there is nothing more sad than a paladin soloing. Remember auto attacking that first decaying skeleton after you made your character? Thats about it. Throw in some Yaulp casts and maybe root jousting if you're feeling spicy. Deepwater helm won't be in your inventory for like two years and 3 years for the natures defender.

imho paladin is a really dope class in the LONG run, as in you want to play and gear one into Velious but imho you got to be really into it the idea of playing a paladin. its a lot of effort for not as much return as you'd get from other classes. its my favorite class but its not for the lukewarm.

A cleric is going to be more useful overall and more capable of soloing undead plus just being able to bind/gate is so huge for limited play time. Paladins are the least mobile class in the game.

Anyone unironically telling you to bow solo shit as a ranger in classic should be ignored.
Last edited by Danger; 11-09-2019 at 04:59 AM..
Closed Thread