Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Aviak

Default VGOEmulator Updates

Greeting's since it's time for a update figured I would give you some stats this time instead
of commit logs. Our content team has been kicking butt so this one is for them and all the
hard work they have been doing.

Following adventuring quests have been scripted per chunk
(Only Adventuring has been touched and some quest rewards still need to be added)

Bordinars Cleft - 67
Caial Brael - 29
Cliffs of Ghelgad - 23
Dahknarg - 73
Grimsea Watch - 6
Halgarad - 5
Hathor Zhi - 13
Isle of Dawn - 37
Khal - 70
Leth Nurae - 70
Lomshir - 41
Martok - 30
Shang Village - 12
Tursh Village - 44

Total - 520

Spawn scripts which include hailing, Quest dialog, Quest drops etc etc

Bordinars Cleft - 152
Caial Brael - 285
Cliffs of Ghelgad - 70
Dahknarg - 178
Grimsea Watch - 8
Halgarad - 12
Hathor Zhi - 17
Isle of Dawn - 39
Khal - 379
Leth Nurae - 99
Lomshir - 182
Martok - 405
Ocean Watch - 10
ShangVillage - 13
Tanvu - 335
Three Rivers Village - 8
TurshVillage - 335

Total - 2527

Spell scripts we just started working on not that long ago but they are coming along nicely.

I would like to personally thank everyone on the team for dedicating their free time to help bring
Vanguard alive again. Thank you
Old 05-09-2016, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Does this mean combat/spells is complete or is content being developed in parallel? I've not checked it out in quite a while.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Kobold

you should get started on emulating pantheon. smed can't bail out brad this time so the code needs to be salvaged immediately.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does this mean combat/spells is complete or is content being developed in parallel? I've not checked it out in quite a while.
They are both being worked on at the same time.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Fire Giant

nice
Old 05-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Very concerned about combat and spells as you guys have EXTREMELY limited data.

Reverse engineering EQ1 is one thing.

Recreating VG combat, spells, and classes is entirely another.

I have to say I don't have much hope for this project to be anything outside of an "emulator" something where you can sort of feel Vanguard again, do some quests, kill some mobs, maybe crawl a dungeon. But without the real VG live combat, VG live mob values, and complete VG live itemization etc.

I appreciate you guys creating what you are, and its come a long way. But this is a huge undertaking with a lack of data. I just don't see how you get spells and combat emulated properly here. Now on to a possibility that has been mentioned by some (VGemu staff is not involved in this in any way)...

I realize it would be "illegal" for a sys admin to dig a Vanguard build up from the vault and leak it. But that's what this project needs, is real help from an angel. It is entirely possible to do this and not get caught, and keep it entirely anonymous. Rerolled still has a few daybreak employees posting/lurking (rarely), maybe I'll write a plea and call to action there in that thread....

I'd imagine since the move from SOE to Daybreak offices its possible that not even 1 build is available and that its been moved off the network since nobody needs access to it. Which makes one of us rich guys hiring a hacker completely worthless (just kidding I'm not suggesting that....hehe) waste of money. You could still hire someone to investigate, would it be against the law to point people towards resources that specialize in "data recovery"?

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 05-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Recreating VG combat, spells, and classes is entirely another.
Yes it is and I completely agree with you we probably never will get it exactly like live was and probably never will which i hate to admit but it is the truth. All we can go on is the data we have collected and the players input. The combat/class system is and will be the most difficult part of this project. There is so many little details that will have to be accounted for which we will try our best to replicate to the best of our abilities.

Our plan for a base line is to give NPC's access to the same spells PC's have (On top of any custom spells we create from log data) they will also have access to the same stats strength, intelligence, resists etc etc. We also are planning on adding the feature where if a mob is extremely resistance to one type of spell say fire and you hit it with a fire spell it could/will heal the mob instead. That is just one of the many vanguard features that we plan on implementing to bring the live feel back that people remember.

There is way to much on our road map to go over everything but I hope when everything is said and done it will be a game people will enjoy playing again.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Kobold

I remember preordering the Collectors Edition of this game over 9 years ago when I was 17 and oh my god it was the most disappointing thing ever. I mean I had grave concerns months before when MS dropped it, but just looking at the animation in the trailers spelt a bad omen. It was just a poorly optimized mess and even when I came back to it a few years later it kept being at the level of mediocre constantly hiccuping. I remember hearing how it didn't use some of the features of the Unreal 2.5 engine including the script feature ect.

I mean good luck to you and I understand there was a small yet dedicated fanbase for the game. If you can make a better product where the game doesn't run like utter shit then I might give it a try, but I just don't see this happening.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

It ran well enough by sunset ^^ I honestly never understood all the rage about performance, but then I'm extraordinarily easygoing.

On the mechanics, I don't think exact formulae are needed either. Things changed so much from launch to sunset that as long as the basic mechanics are there, it will have the VG feel. I don't care if Razor Parts Silk VI does a few hundred less or more damage as long as the line is a dot that applies an armor chink that I can exploit. I don't think SoE ever mastered balance, so tweaks to the formulae are fine by me ^^
Old 05-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It ran well enough by sunset ^^ I honestly never understood all the rage about performance, but then I'm extraordinarily easygoing.

On the mechanics, I don't think exact formulae are needed either. Things changed so much from launch to sunset that as long as the basic mechanics are there, it will have the VG feel. I don't care if Razor Parts Silk VI does a few hundred less or more damage as long as the line is a dot that applies an armor chink that I can exploit. I don't think SoE ever mastered balance, so tweaks to the formulae are fine by me ^^
I never crashed once. Played from launch for about 1 year until Ebonlore moved on.

VG gameplay, the immersion, the world size, was one of a kind. So many "damn this is fucking epic" areas. I am glad I was there and didn't have the "issues" the vocal minority of people had.

Pantheon will absolutely not hold a candle to it, and that's one reason I will not be checking Pantheon out. I played a better version of Pantheon called Vanguard. I prefer Vanguard combat any day over EQ1 inspired combat. VG had the right balance of WoW and EQ.

"Animation". lol, the game was designed in early 2000, released in 2006-2007ish. It was amazing for its time.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Last edited by AzzarTheGod; 05-10-2016 at 06:09 PM..
Closed Thread