Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 03:51 AM
Sarnak

Boxing is a hot topic on Emu servers and always will be. Allowing it can provide different play experiences and also allow server creators to tune their servers a certain way. I've played on boxing and non-boxing servers, and I can say boxing is USUALLY best used as a crutch to get people playing on a newer server, where they can experience the server's intended play experience without having to just hope that server pop increases to the level needed.

That said, with a server pop like p99, there's really no good reason to box. Especially with the intention of the server itself. Boxers DID exist in the 1999-2000 era, but they were both rare and not in the Vision of the game itself. Rogean and dadbod Thor and company have tasked themselves with keeping that vision intact.

There are several servers that allow boxing and provide that experience well, if that's what you're looking for. Somebody suggested TAKP, I have done runs on Visions of Grandeur and Casual Dreams, where I learned how to use MQ2, and had a decent time. There's also what I like to call "Manual Box" servers, which allow boxing but don't allow MQ2, and usually limit you to 2 toons at a time. This is a solid compromise IMO, and if that's what you're looking for I suggest Imperium. It's probably the second best play experience to be had in emu servers, with p99 being the first.

The rules are here for a reason- you can't have the legitimate social aspect, high server pop, and focused roleplaying that you have on p99 when players can run their own groups and monopolize content by themselves. I hope p99 offers what you're looking for- even if you think it doesn't I'd suggest giving it a try. If not, then that's cool too, and hopefully you find the server you are looking for [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a completely different game when people can box, and that game is not Classic EQ.
Wrong. I boxed in 2000
Old 01-15-2020, 10:45 AM
Banned

Exhibit A: Red Server
Old 01-15-2020, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wrong. I boxed in 2000
Cool, you had two computers or access to two comps back in 1999-2001. You could also load up UT99 or Quake Arena like that. Shoot yourself on one then run to the other and shoot back.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:46 PM
Large Rat

Boxing would kill the server. There isn't a ton of content in Classic EQ and boxing would make it trivial for a handful of people to monopolize that content. Plus it's nice to know when you do a /who of any given zone you know there is a real, unique person behind each name.

The Tak Project is a classic emulated server that allows boxing with an actual classic client, (dreaming of the day P99 switches out of Titanium for the glorious fixed screen UI). I suspect it would be a far more popular server if boxing weren't allowed.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wrong. I boxed in 2000
The exception that proves the rules. Only the crustiest of shut in neckbeards were boxing.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 01-16-2020, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The exception that proves the rules. Only the crustiest of shut in neckbeards were boxing.
lol
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's nice to know when you do a /who of any given zone you know there is a real, unique person behind each name
This is why, nothing else to be said hehe.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:56 PM
Planar Protector

The server would wither and die within a couple of months of boxing
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Closed Thread