Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Aviak

Default Not sure what class to play.

This toon will not be a twink. I am interested in either Shaman, Druid, Paladin, Shadow Knight or Cleric.

Druid is appealing, but I worry once I reach 50 I will h ave nothing to do.

Cleric I worry will be too group dependent.

I worry with the Shaman, Paladin and Shadow Knight I will still be too gear dependent.

In the end I want a class I will enjoy, be able to adventure in and out of dungeons, but at the same time I can make some money for alts. I would also like to be able to solo (even if it means killing single blues slowly) when I cannot get a group.

I have tried mage, necro and enchanter and currently want something other than these.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Best solo'ers : shaman / druid

You'll make the most plat and have the most solo capability with these 2 classes. Shamans arent super gear dependant but to really abuse the class you're going to need a 70k spell at 60 called torpor. Until then these classes arent all that different except shamans will tank better and druid is more conveniant via porting.

Dungeon crawlers: paladin / shadowknight / shaman

Paladins have an amazing toolset and really the only facet they truly lack is dps. But ignoring that you are a competant tank with your own good self buffs when a cleric isnt around. You also have lull, root, heal and stun. You also have some of the best on demand aggro in the game via flash of light. All of this makes you great at being flexible in a group and able to fill roles in a pinch (besides main healing). Having all of this also makes you able to do a fair amount solo / duoing that other classes wouldnt do as well.

Shadowknight is another class that can be pretty cool because of fear kite potential and feign death. You could easily be the puller in any group and can solo (albeit slowly) via fear kiting and lifetap tanking. Shadowknights also have high on demand aggro via disease cloud and shadow vortex. The flavor of the class is very cool and having feign death for bailing out on a bad situation and also sudden afks is really great Quality of Life.

Shamans are basically the ultimate duo partner for most camps in the game so you could grab almost any melee and the 2 of you are basically a full group. Shaman healing with out Torpor isnt the best but its doable with your slows.

And cleric ....
You're a good duo partner to charm classes and your hp buffs are the best. With high charisma you can do alot of what a paladin does via stun/root/lull. Cleric was my first class on p99 and I loved it initially but once you are introduced to the idea of a complete heal chain the shine fades away in my opinion. It can be fun I'm sure but I've abandoned the class personally.

As far as gear, the paladin , shadowknight and to a degree shaman are all gear dependant but if you are playing blue server , getting a set of decent gear isnt going to be as hard as you think. Hell you might get a free set of something in ec. Stick to classic zones for weaker enemies and you should be fine.

Hope this helps some.
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 02-05-2020, 05:36 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Best solo'ers : shaman / druid

You'll make the most plat and have the most solo capability with these 2 classes. Shamans arent super gear dependant but to really abuse the class you're going to need a 70k spell at 60 called torpor. Until then these classes arent all that different except shamans will tank better and druid is more conveniant via porting.

Dungeon crawlers: paladin / shadowknight / shaman

Paladins have an amazing toolset and really the only facet they truly lack is dps. But ignoring that you are a competant tank with your own good self buffs when a cleric isnt around. You also have lull, root, heal and stun. You also have some of the best on demand aggro in the game via flash of light. All of this makes you great at being flexible in a group and able to fill roles in a pinch (besides main healing). Having all of this also makes you able to do a fair amount solo / duoing that other classes wouldnt do as well.

Shadowknight is another class that can be pretty cool because of fear kite potential and feign death. You could easily be the puller in any group and can solo (albeit slowly) via fear kiting and lifetap tanking. Shadowknights also have high on demand aggro via disease cloud and shadow vortex. The flavor of the class is very cool and having feign death for bailing out on a bad situation and also sudden afks is really great Quality of Life.

Shamans are basically the ultimate duo partner for most camps in the game so you could grab almost any melee and the 2 of you are basically a full group. Shaman healing with out Torpor isnt the best but its doable with your slows.

And cleric ....
You're a good duo partner to charm classes and your hp buffs are the best. With high charisma you can do alot of what a paladin does via stun/root/lull. Cleric was my first class on p99 and I loved it initially but once you are introduced to the idea of a complete heal chain the shine fades away in my opinion. It can be fun I'm sure but I've abandoned the class personally.

As far as gear, the paladin , shadowknight and to a degree shaman are all gear dependant but if you are playing blue server , getting a set of decent gear isnt going to be as hard as you think. Hell you might get a free set of something in ec. Stick to classic zones for weaker enemies and you should be fine.

Hope this helps some.
It helps a lot, however I will be on Green, so I hope gear is not as much of an issue.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:41 PM
Planar Protector

Clerics can solo fine as long as you stick to undead. Shaman don't really need much gear. You could do 1-19 with a finesteel great staff and then switch over to almost exclusively kiting or root rotting while stacking disease.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:49 PM
Aviak

I guess the last question is either way whatever class I go with will there be more to do end game? Does that only matter to min/maxers? I hate groups that shun a class that is an ok healer because they will only take a cleric.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Planar Protector

Think what class you want to be. And do it.

If you want to farm stuff be the shaman or the druid though.

If you don't need to pharm for alts choose whatever makes you most happy.

All of these classes can get thru the game in full banded with whatever junk items you find along the way just fine. The game is super easy just takes a long time.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:56 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Think what class you want to be. And do it.

If you want to farm stuff be the shaman or the druid though.

If you don't need to pharm for alts choose whatever makes you most happy.

All of these classes can get thru the game in full banded with whatever junk items you find along the way just fine. The game is super easy just takes a long time.
Thanks for the tip Ill make my first toon a Druid then.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah if your goal is to eventually have a class that can farm some plat, Shamans can solo well later on (first like 30 levels can be a real slog though) and Druids can of course group port for tips starting at 29 (with more ports added as you hit the next couple spell tiers).

Necros and Enchanters are really the ultimate plat farming classes though (Shamans become that level once they get significantly higher level/geared up though).
Closed Thread