Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a Shaman main, it's pretty great. Shamans have some of the best buffs in the game and are in my opinion the most aggressive Priest class. Druids and Clerics can pull their own in a fight but neither of them can top the Shammy's raw ability to kill (malo + dots). But on the other hand excelling with a Shaman takes colossal pp investments; if you want to graduate from "good solo class" to "soloing endgame velious dragon bosses" you need to get your hands on Torpor and Fungi and work on your Epic which can cost a combined total of a couple hundred thousand platinum. Also keep in mind that all Shaman races are either KoS from the rest or isolated from the rest so leaving your starting zone will take tons of effort.

Clerics are the best healing class in the game so if you're mostly thinking of being a support that's what you should pick. They can solo and are very effective against the undead but you'll mostly shine in a group where people need you.

I haven't played a Wizard before but at some point I heard a wiz in a raid can cast every nuke in his spellbook and then AFK for 30 minutes and no one will notice. If you have absolutely nothing on your mind other than pure, raw burst damage (portals to get around are useful but if I wanted a "taxi" class I'd pick Druid instead) then this class is for you. Don't expect to be invited to many leveling groups though.
Great points. I forget how difficult starting as a shaman will be. Either a evil race who can’t take advantage of CB or a barb who is in a isolated area that I know nothing about.

If I did go shaman is ogre the best choice followed by troll? I honestly lean toward barbarian just so I can do some of the noob quests.

I think I have narrowed it down between shaman and cleric now.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I did go shaman is ogre the best choice followed by troll? I honestly lean toward barbarian just so I can do some of the noob quests.
Ogre frontal stun immunity is life changing. When you solo and root breaks there's an average of 4-5 casts before your re-root actually lands from all the mob stuns. As an Ogre you don't have to worry about that. i.e. whether that unrest death beetle stun interrupts your heal or not can make the difference between life or death. Not to mention the melee stats on the Ogre are absolutely INSANE, making melee shaman very viable even in high levels. Instead of wasting mana root rotting or sending the pet you can just buff yourself and Hulk Smash your way to max level.

Trolls get regeneration, which is amazing, and their stats are pretty good too. Layer Chloroplast on top of their natural regen and lose yourself canni dancing your whole mana bar back. Their stats are very good too, and they're less mana-crippled than Ogres but also less effective in melee. Personally I tend to alt tab when regenning so I don't really feel the difference but if you're in a rush and want to move from pull to pull ASAP then definitely go for Troll.

Barbarians are pretty unique. They don't get an innate racial aside from their decent stats (decently more caster-oriented than Ogre or Troll making melee barb shammy not as viable late game) but the positive faction is a must have for a newbie. I traditionally do the bone chips quest then crushbone and HHK after Unrest so if you want to level as fast as possible and cheese your way through the early levels then Barb is the way to go. The run from Halas to North Karana however is absolutely agonizing. (unless you're on blue, you can just dial a Surefall port)

Can't speak for Cleric, the only one I have is a Dwarf I took to 20. But I hear they're very capable soloers if you know where to go and are much more straightforward than shammy. You can't afford to zone out when playing SHM since you have to multitask slowing mobs + tracking and refreshing long buffs + rebuffing haste + watch where your pet is going + canni dance constantly when not casting, whereas a cleric can just turn their brain off and fill the draining health bars like reverse whack-a-mole.

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 12-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Orc

Play a Dark Elf Cleric. You won't regret it.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Sarnak

Benanov, that was a good cleric description.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:43 PM
Fire Giant

Think I’m going to make a ogre shaman.

Only thing holding me back has been no ability to go to CB and do belts and pads. Is it possible to do that quest with wolf form?
Old 12-24-2019, 02:53 AM
Sarnak

I've been rocking barb shammy and love it. Having the Gnoll Fangs and Bandit Sash quests really helped catapult me through the 7-14 range. Remember you don't get invis till 29 either, so being good-aligned makes travel much easier.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:24 AM
Kobold

Yeah I was going to say if you don't know Everfrost/Permafrost/Halas then that's a good reason to start a barbarian, always been one of my favorite places and is way nicer and more interesting in general than ogre/troll. Its only disadvantage to me is its remoteness, have to admit you end up doing more running as a Barbarian than about any other race. Except Iksar maybe.

But I just plain like it, mammoths and frost giants and snow leopards and a snowy landscape, and at 20 you hop into Perma, the original Sol A except in teal blue <rimshot>.

If the stats are really what you want, then go Ogre, but I think you might have more fun being a Barb.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:38 AM
Planar Protector

Stats aren't going to make much difference. Troll is significantly better than ogre in this time period.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:51 AM
Planar Protector

Clerics don't have to be boring, in the absence of a bard/enchanter I've been the guy who will stun aggro adds and root them...you're an undead wizard if you want to solo (see the class guides section on the wiki), and eventually you'll have one of the most powerful/important epics in the game.

For bonus points, pick a dark elf... and try to purple line your tank before a CH lands, as Innoruuk wills it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-26-2019, 04:08 AM
Aviak

Cleric is in fact way better soloer than wizard 1-50, especially if you stick to undead. They can wear plate, take hits and heal themselves, and bash mobs at lower levels between nukes.
Human Inny cleric is also a good alternative to DE, same benefits minus ultravision, but not KoS everywhere, and a few unique quests/items.

Shamans begin to shine in Kunark, and after massive platinum investment, in classic they are nothing special. Also solo is very slow and boring 1-34, and 34+ not that much better still. Now with JBB, epic and later Torpor is when they become solo gods.
Closed Thread