Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 07:44 AM
Kobold

Hit the “chat” button it’ll refresh the server list.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The server list sends via UDP which is lossy - this happens a lot with p99 on GNU/Linux hosts over WiFi in particular (probably MTU rate or something)

This tool fixes it: https://github.com/Zaela/p99-login-middlemand by running on a localhost port that then filters out all non-p99 servers from the list, resulting in a much higher rate of success.
That tool used to fix it. Hasn't worked for me for over a year now (on Linux). I think Rogean is (semi-)constantly tweaking things, and a tweak he made awhile ago broke it (beyond the lossiness issue you're referring to).

It might still work for someone, but I haven't heard any reports of that.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

The tool works for me. Wouldn't be able to play without it half the time I'm on a wifi.

Dont forget to change eqhost.txt so you actually are utilizing the tool! Easy to forget.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Sarnak

Thank you everyone, you posted several fixes. Will try them all, something should help, thanks again! (in case I didn't mention in first post, yes running on Linux here also)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:47 PM
Fire Giant

I still hop on and play once in awhile and the tool (middlemand) is the only thing that lets me connect consistently on GNU/Linux + Wine (the eqhost.txt change is very forgettable - each time I apply a new p99 patch set I tend to forget and wonder if my internet is down).
Old 05-28-2020, 05:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This tool fixes it: https://github.com/Zaela/p99-login-middlemand by running on a localhost port that then filters out all non-p99 servers from the list, resulting in a much higher rate of success.
This did it, thank you very much, got list in first try! OK will keep in mind to edit that ini file after every new patch.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:44 AM
Planar Protector

Ah, that totally explains why it stopped working for me. Has that file change always been required? I feel like I used middleman for a long time without ever doing it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:39 AM
Aviak

any fixes for windows os? about 2 days ago my wifi was shot, called my isp and they had me enter the modem and, without editing anything, clicked save changes (even though i didn't change anything. This fixed the lack of internet (my modem was showing power, dns, wireless, but no internet connectivity), but also dropped any servers loading after login.

I've flipped modem off/on, unplugged for minutes, flipped off for minutes, restarted comp, wiped DNS, checked that no port issues (port 5558? i made sure it was correct, just cant think of it now), and checked that i don't have any firewall up, even went into windows defender and made exemption for my p99 folder.

I have seen someone suggest doing a traceroute on project1999.org (same as the server itself apparently? I can't interpret the results though:
Quote:
Hop Time 1 Time 2 Time 3 Host / IP Address
1 15.078ms 14.088ms 13.883ms 205.200.254.4
2 16.046ms 16.421ms N/A 142.161.194.97
3 16.758ms 16.25ms N/A 142.161.0.190
4 15.904ms 16.479ms 16.382ms 184.150.180.218
5 N/A N/A N/A N/A
6 N/A N/A N/A N/A
At this point I'm soldering a broken computer back together to see if another computer will have the same issues, but in the meantime, and if that doesn't work, anyone else have suggestions?

I will note that I tried tethering to my phone and had the server list generate at least twice, though my last attempt I couldn't login and received a timeout error immediately upon hitting enter.

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

It's a free game, eat a dick. The developeerrrsss allllllll haaaavvveeeee jooooobbbbbsssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri View Post
You're as charming as an ogre, you're as clever as a troll
eat a diiiiiiiiiick
Taku <Castle>
Old 05-29-2020, 09:49 AM
Aviak

I also just tried directly connecting to the modem with a cable and disconnecting from wifi and still no server list. I am out of ideas.

It's a free game, eat a dick. The developeerrrsss allllllll haaaavvveeeee jooooobbbbbsssss
Quote:
eat a diiiiiiiiiick
Taku <Castle>
Old 05-29-2020, 11:13 AM
Aviak

just tried a vpn connection and the servers populated. what does this mean?

Quote:
eat a diiiiiiiiiick
Taku <Castle>