Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 09:12 AM
Skeleton

Default Monk vs. Shammy Twinkage

If you had funds to fully kit (I do mean fully) one of the two classes going into Velious which would it be and why?
Old 05-24-2021, 09:23 AM
Orc

Shammy, because I have no friends.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:55 AM
Sarnak

depends on your style of play really - very different playstyles at 50+ shammy epic is much harder to come by.

for 1-50 - with a fungi and decent weap either class can efficiently solo
Old 05-24-2021, 11:14 AM
Skeleton

Why do you say Shammy epic is harder to come by? I am far from expert on either epic, but it looked like Shammy was pretty much faction grind and the tear? In my mind I actually had it reversed and viewed Shammy as easily obtainable.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

I would go with shaman. They are good in every scenario. Solo, Group, Raid. They can also generate money with very little effort through alchemy.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 05-24-2021, 11:36 AM
Fire Giant

Depends on what you want out of velious.

If you're raiding? Monk 100%. Velious geared monk is the best melee toon. Period.

Anything else... it's a toss up.

Both epics are very easy/can be MQ'd. Monk is probably easier to buy/get MQ'd as i'm sure on green there are still a lot of main shamans looking to get a tear.

Shamans certainly solo better......... but not until level 60. (A best in slot gharns/abashi monk can probably solo most things almost as good as a shaman, but that's not really feasible 6 months into velious unless you are a top DKP raider- Also gharns didn't drop on blue until like over a year after velious dropped so there's that)

Monks imo are a lot more fun to level. ESPECIALLY 1-45. An iksar monk with fungi/cof/t-staff is an absolute beast at soloing until the 50s. And even then, it's good, just not solo 4 blue guards in HHK at the same time good.

Good luck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-24-2021, 11:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do you say Shammy epic is harder to come by? I am far from expert on either epic, but it looked like Shammy was pretty much faction grind and the tear? In my mind I actually had it reversed and viewed Shammy as easily obtainable.
shammy epic is a faction grind but you need the iksar tear from the iksar child in plane of fear is a hotly contested guild item (usually goes dkp) and they MQ for far greater price than monk epic MQ

monk epic most pieces are 1 groupable really - last mob xeno is pretty much 1 groupable if you have good enough gear

again - play style is key. shamans are casters and buffers - monks are expected to pull so that can be a big pro or a big con
Old 05-25-2021, 10:55 PM
Fire Giant

Monk if you like raiding, play making or at the very least pulling.

Shaman if you like soloing, farming or dungeon crawling.

If you don't want to raid on the monk or you just want to show up and auto-attack, it's kind of a waste imho, but you will have a blast soloing 1-54 or so.

Meanwhile, Shaman won't really pick up until the later levels, but is super powerful once it does.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Shaman is going to cost twice if not three times the monk. This is not the right fantasy comparison.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:25 PM
Skeleton

a) it is not fantasy, either one of the classes could be decked out. Just asking which one people would do and why.

b) Understood shammy will be more expensive in long run.

Anything MAJOR outside of GFG, Fungi, JBB, Epic Tear, and Torp that I am missing?
Closed Thread