Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 11:42 AM
Large Rat

Default Total Newbie Question About Tipping for Binds

Hey guys - complete newbie to both p1999 and EQ here. I was wondering if there's a custom regarding tipping people for binding you to a location. I ask because (A) I'm only level 4 and dead broke with 2 gold, but don't want people to feel like I've gypped them if I ask for a bind and don't top and (B) when I hit level 12 and am able to bind, I don't want to expect tips if it's not customary.

Thanks in advance, dudes.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

I would never expect a tip for binding someone, unless they went far out of their way to do so. Generally you are asking someone who is already nearby.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Even if you're talking about tipping for ports, people tend to do a sliding scale. If you send a tell to a random Dial A Porter, and you flat out tell them "I'm a broke newbie, but I started on Odus and it sucks, can you please come port me out of Toxx Forest even though I can't pay you a cent" ... I'd predict 9 out of 10 will come get you (possibly after taking any paying customers they have lined up first).

With binds it's even more so. I don't think I've ever tipped anyone, or been tipped, for binding/being bound.

It really only takes a few seconds anyway, so it's not like it's a big deal that really deserves a tip. More on the order of getting a SoW, but just a bit harder because you have to group.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Fire Giant

I've never accepted a tip for a bind, and while I always offer tips on my characters needing a bind, I find it is usually declined.

Binding is an unfortunate necessity that some classes/levels simply cannot do by themselves. Compared to porting, for example, binding yourself is all but impossible (leveling up if a Caster/Priest, Locket of Escape being the other all but impossible option). Porting, however, is purely a convenience measure as it IS possible to travel anywhere in Norrath without a port (Plane of Hate and Plane of Sky excepted) so a tip seems expected.
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Last edited by Droxx; 07-17-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the responses guys. Good to know.

Related to this, is it okay to specifically message level 12+/14+ casters in the city I'm in (Qeynos for now) to ask for a bind, or is it more customary to ask in OOC? Sorry for all the questions; just want to make sure I dont step on any toes.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

I remember on live bonds being 10-20pp as they really did save a lot of inconvenience, and as such were well worth the investment.

On p1999 people tend to do them gratis, I suspect because ports and rezzes are so easily available; mobility is far less an issue here.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

usually what i do is bind people for free............... and then port them to EJ or Skyfire
Old 07-18-2019, 01:19 AM
Kobold

I will not accept a tip from a low level obvious new toon even if they tried. That being said I was in Neriak on a 50 something shaman and a 50 something monk gave me a peridot after I asking for a bind. I took it. If on a melee I will tip but only if its a high level toon getting a bind from a low level toon. So the long winded answer is no don't tip but tell em you broke first.

oh and i tip 50pp per port period.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:23 PM
Planar Protector

I usually toss people 5-10p for a bind if I have it, but I've also not tipped. I've bound many people for free too.

Think of it as, money isn't necessary but may get you one faster than without money.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Fire Giant

I usually stick a bit of cash in the trade window. Even if its just 5 gold or something. They usually cancel the trade.

I always offer some of what i have.
Closed Thread