Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 11:00 PM
Sarnak

Question necro charm training

so i know enchanters have -mr tricks.
what can a necro do? only get greens (charmed) to kill blues?
im not aware of any debuffs besides muscles disease dots that reduce melee slightly.
what change can be done to reduce xp targets from ripping up a green or lower level charmed pet?
Old 08-07-2020, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

I'm not sure what "- mr tricks" is nor what it has to do with your post so maybe I'm not sure what you are asking here.

If you are charming for exp you do generally want to charm the lower level of 2 different mobs, but usually not "green versus blue", but more "low blue versus high blue".

Lower level will mean charm holds more reliably. Lower level also usually means you will have to do some significant damage to the higher(non charm) mob. But that's easy for a necro to do especially if its damage over time, so you can use your highly mana efficient dots at the start of the fight and by time the fight is getting close to over the dot will have mostly run its course. And lets not forget that green mob will yield much less exp than a blue.

As far as keep your green charm alive versus a significantly stronger blue con your choices are:
Fear(usually paired with drkness)
Just doing more DPS with nukes/dots, a mob that dies faster does less damage
Drain tanking(usings your life taps while "splitting" some of te damage between you and your pet. Not the best idea to be doing this when charming but it is what it is.
Healing your pet (variety of ways to accomplish this).
Giving your charm pet various proc weapons that will either do more DPS or reduce incoming damage, like a slow proc.

If it's just the case you want to keep the green charm alive so you can continue to use it, you can always just FD and wipes it aggro s it starts to turbo heal and then recharm when its life is back up.

You are really not clear in your post at all what you are talking about so I think I covered pretty the majority of stuff you *might* be talking about.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:04 AM
Sarnak

magical resist debuff = -mr aka https://wiki.project1999.com/Tashani
I'm talking about a low or no mana approach
casting a muscle disease dot that affects -str -ac

using a magic resist debuff to ensure long charm
using some type of debuff to reduce high blue dps (asystole)
more than likely rooting both targets with a long root
and positioning so that pulled high blue runs into low blue range
Last edited by xaix1999; 08-08-2020 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: \_0_/
Old 08-08-2020, 12:41 AM
Sarnak

also necro can haste undead pet

for enchanter I'm sure charming is great, i don't see the point with necromancer
i just root rot
Old 08-08-2020, 03:13 AM
Planar Protector

Just because enchanters get some things necros don't in the charming toolkit, that doesn't mean it's not worth it. Necromancer have some very big advantages that enchanters do not have (and vice versa) when it relates to charming.

1. you can almost always keep your health up quickly and efficiently after you get a bad round of RNG and take a bunch of damage. This is actually a huge deal, much bigger than it appears n paper. All the little bumps and scratches for enchanters when charming will pile up and then they have to try to fight with 50% or less of their HP. It means one more bad RNG break or minor screw up/error and you are dead.

2. Feign death, I could go into a million reasons why and how many uses it has but I really hope I don't have to.

3. Harm shield. There are tons of uses for this spell and one of the reasons i was actually the one of the main pullers for my uber guild way back in the day for most o four time in fear/hate. But you could just ignore all the rest of that and change the spell to, "automatically resets your FD to recast again" and it would still be ridiculously awesome because FD is that awesome.
Last edited by DMN; 08-08-2020 at 03:19 AM..
Old 08-08-2020, 04:03 AM
Planar Protector

I clipped number 4 off above to reword it a bit and it was getting too long.

4. Snare. This is a trickier one to explain how good it is for charming. But because you can snare things with powerful movement debuffs it means you can actually fear things once they get down to a certain amount of life even in the middle of a dungeon with other mobs relatively close because they will move so slow at low life. several fears have short durations too, and you can always root to stop the fleeing mob Alternatively if you clear yourself a "runway" you can even start off the fight until the very end by fear kiting the entire time -- this can potentially even set you up to beat summoning mobs and/or nasty spell casters who when feared are zero threat but when rooted stlll pose a huge threat.

Getting to more explicit uses for charming and snare, consider this: You are charming a difficult and geared up mob( haste item.- mr items, weaponized, hasted, etc) and you are getting ready to kill a really difficult enemy(maybe a named you are camping). you usually will have a bit of room enough to dothis, but before the fight starts pre-snare your soon-to-be charm pet. Now what this means is that for the duration of snare this highly dangerous wrecking ball of destruction that could theoretically kill you in a couple seconds should be much easier to deal with if/when you get a charm break, significantly reducing the chance of negative outcome in the fight. And since this might be a long fight, you might even get 2 or 3 breaks before its over but dooming itself lasts close to two minutes or something like that.

Enchanter has no sort of "pre-fight" safety net like that. It's like 100 mana for a very useful insurance policy in the fight.. What's more is you can often re-establish the charm without resorting to screaming terror or spending any more mana if you can get just enough distance between you. Then you don't have to wait so long to get your pet back into doing DPS instead of farting around with ST.
Last edited by DMN; 08-08-2020 at 04:09 AM..
Old 08-08-2020, 07:57 AM
Sarnak

With necromancer charming for pure xp, you're mostly looking to have you charmed pet take as much damage as possible, break charm, and kill it with 1 cast of say, deflux to get xp. So you send your pet against 2-3+ other mobs if possible (1v1 is a must in some scenarios). And you cycle rooting those mobs on top of each other. Once your mobs low you use clicky invis (normally pre-nerf Circlet of Shadows), and break your pet low, and deflux. Rinse and repeat. You don't really care much about -MR at all cause if charm is breaking frequently you're probably attempting too high lvl of mobs for your lvl, and your pet should die fast to the other mobs.

It's a mix of charming and root rotting to help keep mobs around the same amounts of health if they vary in level. You're not charm xping solo the most effective way as a necro if you're trying to keep 1 mob charmed the entire time to beat down another, that's not nearly as effective, let NPCs be your DPS, not your charmed pet.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:15 AM
Sarnak

Also since I don't know what levels you're talking about, necro charm gets better at higher levels when you have more spells in your toolkit, and the range for blue con mobs gets larger. It's a little more difficult but still doable at lower levels the way I discussed.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:14 AM
Banned

i undead root the target mob often in the event of breaks for undead nuke/charm method
Old 08-08-2020, 02:41 PM
Sarnak

if you are talking about using -mr items on pets, that's not exclusive to enchanters, as others have pointed out.

Haven't seen anyone mention charming in a duo setting, which imo Necros really excel at. It’s a lot easier for a Druid to keep your pet snared than it is to worry about dooming darkness. Or have a mage or shaman lower your pets MR. this also negates the need to out damage the pet anyway.

Depending on what you’re fighting, necros also have the advantage of being much more mana efficient. Usually spells like fear / slow undead are less costly to cast than the non specific versions.
Closed Thread