Half and Half 20 12.58%
Mostly Third person but switch depending on the situation 55 34.59%
Mostly First person but switch depending on the situation 43 27.04%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Kobold

Default First or Third Person View

Thought about this after seeing someone play this game in first person and just could not fathom why people play in first person. Not that its bad, just wanted to see what people use and the reason why

I'm always third person and never seen a reason why to be first person ever.
As a monk with third person I feel like I can use the camera angles to help with pulling and see around corners. Never had a reason to use first person for anything besides being drunk and forced to use it haha.

I'd love to hear from people who played first person and reasons why you do.
Last edited by Dreads; 01-19-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

I change up camera angles like a madman:

I pull in 1st and 3rd person. I need 3rd person views to see around corners for lull and I need 1st person views to keep the camera from going nuts as I turn corners in dungeons.

I usually melee (in group) in "behind the back" 3rd person, but I will swap up to "random locked side view" 3rd person depending on what view I need to be able to watch my character swing his weapons and where mobs are positioned for refreshing CC.

I do not like meleeing in first person because my character bobs his head with every swing and I do not know how or if it is possible to disable that "feature".

Basically, I am mostly in 3rd person, behind the back view, but I occasionally use random side 3rd person for targeting and aesthetic reasons. I will use 1st person view in tight quarters to keep the camera from going crazy.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically, I am mostly in 3rd person, behind the back view, but I occasionally use random side 3rd person for targeting and aesthetic reasons. I will use 1st person view in tight quarters to keep the camera from going crazy.
Pretty much the same as this
Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

I do first person, because I always have. When FD pulling (on live when I was a sk) I'd use F9 to look around, but back to 1st person before I stood up. Is 1st person default? I probably didnt learn how to change views back in 1999 and just got hooked.

Played a bunch of stuff thats 3rd person (everything else?), but still go back to 1st in EQ. Just call it habit I guess.

[Edit] Oh, and I switch to 3rd person when quad kiting to see if the group is tight, but switch right back.
Last edited by Raavak; 01-19-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Wow, I'm surprised most people play in third person. I've tried it, but I simply have a hard time running around in it, especially dungeons. Another thing is I just feel more immersed in first person. Sounds silly I know.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Sarnak

I switch around a lot, but prefer first person. A lot of EQ is designed to be first-person, especially in towns and crawling certain areas of dungeons. Raids, where you have a lot more people, are typically more designed to be more third person - hence why they're much larger areas.

As a monk, I usually need to be first person to duck into hallways and tunnels and doors or whatever, then use third person to see around corners for splitting casters, checking what's coming, etc.

Newer MMOs design exclusively for the third person, and that's why you so many things are sized wrong. WoW is the prime example - everything there is huge. Steps are like half your toon's height. That's so it looks better when you're zoomed out and far away.

EQ is scaled to actually match your toon, and looks best when in first person (again, until you start getting into some larger raid zones later in the game, but I still think they look good in first person).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Leapfrogging is a dick move. It's not about "rules" or "ZOMG IT HAPPENED ON MY SERVER ITS FAIR".
Truth.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Fire Giant

Other games have made me way too used to mouse look, which you can't do in EQ unless you switch to that camera mode via F9. That's just a pain in the ass.

I hate it, but I accept it since I was used to playing the game that way for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Sarnak

If there is danger about always 3rd person. But there is something about being in 1st person that pulls me into the "world" a little bit more.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Fire Giant

Mostly first person, and third person for pull situations or safer medding to see if something comes up from behind.
Reason for first person: Movement is intuitive, mouselook, strafing (afaik) only works in first person, because the other perspectives have no keybinds for it.

Also, I am used to being quite good at navigating around ego-shooter-levels in first person, so I feel it gives me a bit of an edge in messy add-situations.

And finally - I feel more immersed indeed.

Couple of reasons that add up, I suppose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Slozem
Old 01-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maahes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If there is danger about always 3rd person. But there is something about being in 1st person that pulls me into the "world" a little bit more.
Agreed. It's interesting though. EQ is the only MMO I've played first person.
Closed Thread