Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

Question Coffee Enthusiasts

I'm doing some Christmas shopping later and I wanted to ask some questions of any hardcore coffee drinkers out there to help me decide on a present for a guy who's notoriously hard to buy gifts for. I'm thinking he'd like some coffee accessories -- a coffee grinder, to be more specific. He's a relatively new daily coffee drinker, so I thought this would be a good idea since he needs some accessories. All he has right now is the coffee maker.
  • What's your favorite brand of coffee and where do you buy it from?
  • Do you buy it already ground or do you grind your own coffee beans? (It makes sense to me that grinding them oneself would be the best way but is there really a noticeable difference in flavor?)
  • If you grind your own, do you prefer an electric grinder or a hand grinder?
  • Which grinder(s) would you recommend? (Feel free to post any links.)
I did a bit of reading about grinders the other day. I read that electric grinders can possibly make your coffee taste burnt. Is that true?

Anyways, thanks coffee drinkers. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I appreciate any advice given here.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.coffeeforless.com/green-m...-2oz-bags.html
Old 12-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Banned

https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/ is the best coffee in the universe!

A hand grinder is fun and something he likely wont buy himself but may enjoy. Thats the definition of a great gift!

An electric grinder he could just get on his own.

Also a something like this is good to get a single cup kinda guy and would be a great pairing with a neet little hand grinder http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/pro...dripper-white/
Last edited by iruinedyourday; 12-09-2015 at 01:04 PM..
Old 12-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

Starbucks will grind beans for you for free if you bring them a bag of Starbucks whole bean coffee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

tbh though I heard good things about French presses, had a cup of coffee from one only once but a couple people I knew bought them and used them frequently.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Fire Giant

In addition to the bean (whole bean, fresh roasted, NOT mail order) the coffee pot, then the water are the most important. What does he have now? How much are you willing to spend?

I researched extensively (I LOVE MY COFFEE) and ended up with this http://www.cnet.com/products/bonavita-bv-1900ts/

If you're set on a grinder as a gift, go with a burr grinder. It allows for a more consistent grind and there's really no heat to affect the taste. Find one within your pricepoint and read the reviews.

I couldn't find mine online to link (it's older) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Developer

Grinding fresh beans right before you brew is the best experience. I recommend a bunn for drip coffee. I also recommend a coffee maker that does not use a burner and instead has an insulated carafe. It keeps it tasting fresh much longer.

I've only used two grinders. One was Mr coffee and it was loud and hard to clean. The GE one was very quiet and was automatic and easy to clean.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Electric coffee grinder is my favorite way to be woken up in the morning. It can be loud as fuck and sounds like a C-130 taking off in my kitchen, but it's okay because I know I'm about to get some freshly ground coffee.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

While some coffee's are of higher quality and standards then others I have no specific brand I stand by when it comes to coffee. I buy my coffee from the grocery store.
I buy whole beans and grind it at home with an electric grinder that I keep clean so to not cross contaminate the coffee flavors.

There is this flavor named salted caramel that I mix with a mocha java it create a really nice but strong blend of sweet caramel and the rich flavor of the mocha java.

Also I'd like to also add that I use a french press to make my coffee, I have a thermometer on my kettle that when it reaches ~200F I turn it off wait a minute and pour it into the french press filled with my desired strength of coffee. Then I stir it and let it set for 2-5 minutes and push the press down. ready to pour after that.
Coffee filters, filter out tasty oils that reside in the coffee bean after its been roasted. This is why sometimes when you look at the top of your coffee in your cup it has that oily look to the surface.

I prefer my coffee black with no sweets or creamers.
Last edited by Baler; 12-09-2015 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM
VIP / Contributor

nothing beats a nice french press
Old 12-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Banned

something something french press volatile oils dangerous for people with heart problems
Closed Thread