Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-27-2021, 03:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsnowls [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. I'm running BigSur 11.1, still having a miserable time trying to get P99 working w/ Wine. No clue what engine im supposed to use. Any thoughts?
if you're on an intel mac you could try running windows in virtualbox, boot camp, parallels, or vmware workstation

for m1 macs your only option is parallels currently

wine's support for 32bit binaries is shaky at the moment, but this might help: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_do_I..._bit_system.3F
Old 05-29-2021, 08:30 PM
Large Rat

Hey everyone, thanks for the info.

I've set up Parallels 16 (free trial) on my Macbook Pro (2016) running Big Sur. Things look ok until I get to my character screen, where my character models are invisible! Weapons and items render, just not the models. I logged in to test things out, and no NPC models or player models showed in game either.

I'm also experiencing some slowness when I'm running the VM. This is my first round - no prior experience with wine, etc.

I'm running the setup I had going on BootCamp, figure I just need some tweaks.

Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2021, 01:50 AM
Orc

Hello P99ers~
I just bought a M1 Macbook pro last week, and started to install P99 last night... i spend about 1 hour from download to login
https://bl6pap003files.storage.live....&cropmode=none

What i'm using:
Macbook 13' M1
Parallel Desktop 16 (Trail) with "games only" setting
ARM-based Windows as recommend
New install EQ with patch v54

I think the most important step is run in 640 x 480 resolution at the "first time"
then i just login as usual, then i change setting to other resolution and 32 bit color
Old 06-04-2021, 04:34 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harabec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
VMWare Fusion is free for home use and works great with EQ. Just make sure under the settings - keyboard and mouse profile - general | that you have Gaming set to "Always optimize mouse for games". Otherwise mouselook will be crazy fast.
Hey thanks for this tip! I just got p99 working and am stoked to have found this free way to do it.

My frame rate seems to be kinda low though, more like 15fps which can be a little tricky playing. Any tips?
Old 06-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogundordor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello P99ers~
I just bought a M1 Macbook pro last week, and started to install P99 last night... i spend about 1 hour from download to login
https://bl6pap003files.storage.live....&cropmode=none

What i'm using:
Macbook 13' M1
Parallel Desktop 16 (Trail) with "games only" setting
ARM-based Windows as recommend
New install EQ with patch v54

I think the most important step is run in 640 x 480 resolution at the "first time"
then i just login as usual, then i change setting to other resolution and 32 bit color
Hey I think this is my issue but I'm having trouble resolving it. In game if i look anywhere other then a wall in front of me it starts slowing down to an unplayble level. if I switch the option in the windows preference menu to run in 640 x 480 and re log in, it seems better, but its a tiny window. in display preferences i have no other options other then that. How do you change your resolution back in game and keep the issue fixed?
Old 06-08-2021, 08:43 PM
Orc

Its weird, it run smooth on my m1 pro, let me think about the step of install..
1. install parallel desktop 16
2. install arm-base windows (games only mode, i try productivity mode later seems no difference)
3. install everquest
4. patch v54
5. change the setting of eqgame.exe (right click, run in win xp sp2, reduce color, run in 640x480, run as admin, change emulation setting to safe emulation)
6. run launch titanium.bat
7. eq started with small windows 640x480, login run around should be smooth but some lighting effects color change from white to red (eg. at morning farclip, at night someone holding lightstone)
8. logout and close eq
9. uncheck reduce color and 640x480 mode in eqgame.exe
10. run launch titanium.bat, theres some error code as i remember
11. run launch titanium.bat again lol, no more error
12. login and change video setting in game (1440x9?? i can't remember, sharp and looks like full screen hehe)

13. i set mouselook to 0, still too fast =(

*Ahha~ i remember something!! whats your parallel desktop view setting? its coherence mode for me, i made a short cut on desktop so no one knows i'm using windows even me lol
Last edited by sogundordor; 06-08-2021 at 09:10 PM..
Old 06-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Large Rat

So I kept switching the properties setting for play in 600 x 400 or whatever and suddenly it started working! I'm not sure why it just took a bunch of going back and forth. It can still start stuttering badly if I resize my window but usually quiting out completely and logging back in seems to fix it. Thank you to everyone who has been posting your tips and progress. I'm stoked to have p99 back after a year since I upgraded to Catalina.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Strongly thinking about going back to Mac and picking up a new M1. Has playing P99 with Parallels been reliable enough? I would hate to lose out on P99. Happy to pay retail price for Parallels and Windows.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold16 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Strongly thinking about going back to Mac and picking up a new M1. Has playing P99 with Parallels been reliable enough? I would hate to lose out on P99. Happy to pay retail price for Parallels and Windows.
works great for me, only issue is that all in-game lighting has a red tint to it. ultravision makes it less noticeable, but it's there all the time regardless. reminds me of oldschool infravision or the lighting effects in pofear.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:59 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
works great for me, only issue is that all in-game lighting has a red tint to it. ultravision makes it less noticeable, but it's there all the time regardless. reminds me of oldschool infravision or the lighting effects in pofear.
Could you post a screenshot? Curious to see how different the tint looks?

Your results give me hope. Are you using a Macbook or a one of the desktops with the M1 chip? Wondering how hot a Macbook laptop would get.