Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 03-25-2022, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Tradesonred - yeah it is fun to try to kill twinks. Bagging isn't a problem tho if twinks start bagging everyone can start laughing. The most important subforum of this board doesn't exist which is "shameful pvp" which should be lots of screen shots of ogre PK's becoming progressively more naked as they flee through faydark.

Regarding melee armor on NPC's - a full set of banded is about 100pp to craft, and to get to banded skill it is about 100pp. Banded armor will be dropping from grinding noobs like flies. You start looting ringmail at like level 20 so its not difficult to be equipped with some armor. Possibly make sure the price for second hand banded at vendors is super cheap so after PK's offload it, normal players can re-buy from vendors at 1pp / AC or less which is typical price of crafting it.

The most common loot for a PK killing people during their EXP grind is a 4/45, 5/55 or 6/65 ring, which failed to act as a suicide device probably because of a server tick. 7mr bracers were also very common as well as the cheapo crafted MR neck piece.

Banded is lighter weight and higher AC than all the other default armors besides bronze which is super heavy. It really isn't hard to get armor in P99. On rallos zek people knew less and more people never made it out of the lowest levels so there was a market for what we consider vendor fodder items. That stuff will all be dirt cheap on red 2.

You are 100% correct about the Red 1.0 ruleset. It was the worst imaginable ruleset for PVP. The only benefit it brings to the server (still to this day) is to dispute camps in a manly fashion rather than having account sharing pharmers poopsock infinitely all the easy high platinum value camps.

But it made the EXP grinding experience more cumbersome for not much more fun, sadly.

I too was and remain surprised at the poor ruleset choice and moreso that it was on Beta and never got tinkered with or corrected before the server launched, and has been quiet as a cricket ever since. The ruleset is not classic, and seems contrived by people that never played an EQ pvp server, or had any interest in what could and does make one fun. Or all of the above + only considering everquest at level 60 which is not where most EQ players actually played the game.

Trying and failing is fine, but trying once and never doing anything else is supremely disappointing because we're staring a really great server in the face and yet seemingly little attempt has been made to achieve it.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 03-25-2022 at 02:37 PM..
Old 03-25-2022, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Another thing to add is that when item loot is enabled, twink PK's also have more interesting things to do than just cause grief. Grief for sport will always exist but they too will be seeking targets that look valuable.

Thats why reputation of being a PK vs Anti PK mattered on rallos zek and never happened on Red 1.0. It isn't just because the "meta" is different now. It is because on rallos zek you wanted to know who you could trust to wear decent armor around, and you always kept track of the people who you couldn't, forever.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:45 PM
Kobold

Red 99 rule set was fine sorry you didn't have fun playing

Reset and we are good to go or stay for ever dead
Old 03-25-2022, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Red 99 rule set was fine sorry you didn't have fun playing

Reset and we are good to go or stay for ever dead
It was not fine. Im guessing you didnt start playing before late Kunark so you dont know the rule set was changed, drastically, mid-Kunark. I had to scream and shout on the forums for like 1.5 years before they changed it and by then pop had dropped from 600 at launch to single digit at nite.

I agree that just a simple reset would probably bring back something like 300+ players (probably more, at least for the first launch weeks) and if we are lucky like what happened to a camelot server and a popular streamer brought in 1k+ who knows what kind of pop it could bring.

Unless you can define what you are talking about i might add you to ignore as to not waste time on reading that kind of lazy drive-by ill-tought posts instead of fine walls of text like Gustoo just provided the forums with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tradesonred - yeah it is fun to try to kill twinks. Bagging isn't a problem tho if twinks start bagging everyone can start laughing. The most important subforum of this board doesn't exist which is "shameful pvp" which should be lots of screen shots of ogre PK's becoming progressively more naked as they flee through faydark.
I dunno, for me i dont care. I would probably have fun trying to recreate a bad martigan type SK. Shiiiiit were old i cant even link an article about who bad martigan is, disappeared off the internet. SK troll on Sullon or Rallos who would run around butt naked and rack up kills. I bet half the forums dont know who Mad Martigan is either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats why reputation of being a PK vs Anti PK mattered on rallos zek and never happened on Red 1.0. It isn't just because the "meta" is different now. It is because on rallos zek you wanted to know who you could trust to wear decent armor around, and you always kept track of the people who you couldn't, forever.
Id totally main an anti-pk on an anti-pk guild on 2.0 with item loot, helping newbs etc... and yeah i had a pen and piece of paper next to me so i could write down the name of guilds and players who engaged me. I fell in quite easily within the anti-pk style of play because i like to pvp and after a week you had a list long like your arm of guilds and players you could KoS so youd never run out of pvp targets.

Its also why i like FFA more than teams, its organic. Guilds can be shuffled, alliances made etc... on teams if a team starts getting overwhelming advantage, server is done, unless you theorycraft the shit out of how youre going to prevent that prior to lauching the server.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 03-25-2022 at 03:22 PM..
Old 03-25-2022, 03:21 PM
Kobold

Uhhh i played since classic? Xp loss on pvp death wasn't great but it made for fun memories deleveling AFK players or killing nakeds on CR
Old 03-25-2022, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uhhh i played since classic? Xp loss on pvp death wasn't great but it made for fun memories deleveling AFK players or killing nakeds on CR
Ok thats your precision on what you meant. So you saw how the server was getting depopulated with that and in retrospect still dont understand why it was a bad ruleset.

See thats the part where i think the devs failed and their part of fault in fostering a toxic community. They should have seen the server slowly filtering out the casuals/non-toxics and starting to get progressively heavy on people like Reebz. Me and a few others warned them repeatedly on the forums this was happening and players like reebz and kimm barely were constantly bragging on the forums this is exactly what they were doing. If they had acted sooner red would have been a different server.

Im not saying this to bitch on what was done but in hoping if another server ever gets launched, those lessons arent lost, like tears in rain.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 03-25-2022 at 03:35 PM..
Old 03-25-2022, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

There is a lot of tunnel vision about the level 60 portion of the game, which ignores the fact that most human players of everquest never made it to level 60.

Even if EXP loss was never in place, no item loot pvp meant that at best, pvp was a nuisance. It had no consequence for the PK since he risked zero, and it had an annoying time consequence for the victim, because his EXP grind was interrupted and slowed and maybe he only had an hour to play that day.

As an EXP grinder you are looking at how much time you spend to achieve a level. Are you going to spend any time fighting a PK in unrest who will be back 10 minutes later ready to disrupt your grind again? Or are you going to leave, log an alt, whatever.

So it turns PVP into a nuisance, with no benefit outside of handling camp disputes.

It's fine if you consider level 1-59 just a thing to blast through and never look back at, but that is the part of the game I like better, because I don't like grinding, and the great disparity of strength that gear makes when worn by low level characters means a lot of interesting things can happen.

Epics, Thurg, SS, KD, VP, Planar all this stuff was an extreme rarity until very late in EQ PVP timeline, and would be excluded from low level pvp encounters by simple level requirements being added (on P99) because its a no brainer.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 03-25-2022 at 03:46 PM..
Old 03-25-2022, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

So it turns PVP into a nuisance, with no benefit outside of handling camp disputes.

It's fine if you consider level 1-59 just a thing to blast through and never look back at, but that is the part of the game I like better, because I don't like grinding, and the great disparity of strength that gear makes when worn by low level characters means a lot of interesting things can happen.
Yeah that was pretty much it, Rogean at the time just didnt get why Rallos worked and where the fun was.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:27 PM
Banned

Violating my posting limit to say this:

A rulset where once you hit 60 a timer starts ticking down and there's 1 week left to pvp and raid on that toon b4 it gets reset to 1 would be neat to me. Disable exp loss entirely so its impossible to lose exp and double leveling speed. Make every mob give a small amount of exp.

Randomly delete 1 item that character had equipped in the last week every cycle. Or delete all items except one random one on the deleveling character on said characters login. Skills are capped at 1 lvl higher and aren't lost. Basically 1 toon per login account.

Enable itemloot. Remove no drop. Make training legal. Force every one to bind in cities. Add a few more city bindable zones. Put in nexus only and turn on spires.

Increase pvp level spread +/- 10 and cap resists and defense at -5 levels in pvp. Decrease hitbox. Let people bind anywhere in TD. Forever. Without need for locket. Or ring.

Ppl could still park at 50... idk.

Limited lifespan and items with easeier ways to travel and engage in pvp would be pretty fun.

Discord server!
Last edited by starkind; 03-25-2022 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-25-2022, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

^ that hyper ruleset with item loot would be the most fun ever, people blasting up to 60 and back to 1 constantly would mean there would be population all over all levels of the game, at all times.

It's like the reincarnation server where the effectiveness of your past life is reflected in how much you manage to carry through haha.

Not classic enough starkind :P

I only wish that Verant / Sony experimented with rulesets more during EQ's golden years when any new server would have had decent population.
Lost but not forgotten.