Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 PM
Banned

Default Wizard woes

I've been stuck at lvl 35ish on all caster classes, Mage, necro, ench, and several melee classes as well.

I decided it would be a great change to try something off the wall and chose to play a wizard. I also sunk my life savings into Jboots for some reason around lvl 10.

I am stuck at lvl 21 with the endless cycle of nuke until no mana, hide, then come back and repeat with some icy wanding in between.

Does wizard get more fun or did I make a terrible mistake? I am kind of stuck with it because of the Jboots, and would feel terrible to sulk away to another char.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:57 PM
Kobold

You should be able to quad-kite at this level, though it's easier when you get snare.

Quad-kiting is a little bit more involved than single-target nuking, however you're still going to have the the same pattern of nuking a few mobs quickly, then medding several minutes.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:09 PM
Aviak

Worst mistake of your life
Old 03-31-2019, 11:48 PM
Planar Protector

Wizard was terrible until about 29. Luckily I had the bread quest to do to get to 29 but I think even that is gone now with the plague being removed last patch.

I would just stick it out as much as possible for now. Use your ports to go around and try to get groups if you can. 29 is a game changer for quadding with AOE snare, but 34 is when it really takes off. At that point, I never felt so powerful from a solo perspective. Using flux staff, porting to WC to get potg, and quadding was just a total breeze. My wizard was 57 before I knew it with one of the easiest level experiences I've had. I never enjoyed quadding as much because I had always played a druid and wizard's are just that much better at it. The combination of Evo spec, flux staff for fast pulls, aoe snare, and better quads, druids can't really compare until 58.

Don't expect to get invited to many groups, but if you make friends and join a guild you can always find something. You can always form groups too and assemble them in a flash with ports. I found raiding more enjoyable as well, something about being really good at one thing was extremely satisfying to me. And the wizard epic isn't terribly hard to get, with a great effect.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:50 PM
Fire Giant

Wizzies get AoE snare at 29 where quadding begins. 21 to 29 is not that hard, its just a few hours per level right?

Also change your mindset around medding, its a great time to catch up on netflix, clean, or alt tab to something interesting. don't just stare at an empty screen.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Banned

As poster above said, use your med times to do other things. It'll feel less bad when your house is cleaned, laundry is done, etc on top of making a couple levels.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

If you didn't enjoy all those other classes, I'm gonna say dumping your life savings into non refundable jboots on a wizard was a pretty stupid decision.

At least suck it up until you can quad. Join a group until then if you have to, low level groups probably won't care that you picked literally the worst class for grouping.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never enjoyed quadding as much because I had always played a druid and wizard's are just that much better at it. The combination of Evo spec, flux staff for fast pulls, aoe snare, and better quads, druids can't really compare until 58.
That’s debatable.

-Druids have a more reliable and long lasting snare.
-Druids can respec evocation easily if they plan on lots of quadding (I did this a few times on my Druid)
-46+ druids have lumi staff free quads which is huge 46-52 and still helpful thereafter
-druids can sow themselves (faster than boots) and regen themselves if they get whacked accidentally

Prior to 46 (and after lv 52ish when lumi staff potency really drops off) wizards do have exceptionally more potent and efficient quad nukes. 58 Druid spell is much competitive but still not quite as good.

From a snare standpoint alone druids have some very obvious advantages. 46-52 they’re just better. 52-57 wizards are objectively better assuming they are proficient and it doesn’t take them too long to get them clumped and snared.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 04-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Snare duration is extremely overrated thanks to slot 1 trick and a gcd resetter. I use the lvl 29 snare still to save some mana at lvl 57 and have no duration problems. Can basically chain quads with no wait in slot 1.

I probably had one situation where I really needed to regen health. Knowing how to round up mobs combined with wizard runes/epic click pretty much negates any health concerns.

Sow is nice for select situations but jboots do the job just fine. I’ll agree with you on the short lumi window but otherwise wizards are just better in every way quadding(except othmirs due to harmony). Judging by your sig you’ve never played a wizard. Flux staff pulling is extremely satisfying. I can literally round up a quad in less than 20 seconds depending on the zone.

Also to keep in mind if you plan to raid wizards are just a better raid class overall whereas druids raid role is left to the imagination.

Don’t get me wrong I like druids, wizard was just a more enjoyable solo leveling experience.
Last edited by Crede; 04-01-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Old 04-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Are you getting a clarity? I haven't played a wiz but if you are on a razors edge of kill vs be killed I wouldn't start a battle without it. In a few levels you can port to WC which should be much easier to find one at the druid rings.

I would prob bind in EC at the tunnel and go blast things in north karana (beetles, lowbie griffs, etc). Gate back and bum another C. Rinse and repeat.

That or find a place with a high zem and kill very low blues that give about as much xp as a higher level mob in a low zem zone.

EDIT: Re-read and realized it's a downtime issue more than a capability one. There is still some valid feedback in the post I guess. Clarity = good. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Snaggles; 04-01-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Closed Thread