Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-14-2022, 12:02 AM
Skeleton

Ok so the issue is even stranger than just strictly underclocking.

I have been testing with over/underclocking with 1) Mobo settings 2) Ryzen Master (AMD) and 3) Gigabyte Windows software.

In default, CPU boost mode operation (out of the box, basically), EQ didn't work and got this 1017 error.

If I went into mobo BIOS and underclocked to 3.8 Ghz (NO boost, so constant frequency), EQ worked.

I then went into windows, and changed the fixed clock speed with Gigabyte software. EQ worked all the way from 3.8 Ghz up to 5.2 Ghz!

Then, to even further complicate matters, I closed Gigabyte's software, opened Ryzen Master, set CPU clocks back to "out of the box functionality" default mode (sets clock speed based on cpu load), and EQ STILL LAUNCHES NOW!

Color me very confused, but at least this strange work around gives maximum flexibility for getting EQ to work without compromising other performance (or without having to reboot a bunch).
Old 01-04-2023, 11:23 AM
Aviak

I just had this very same error, and I was able to fix it. Basically I had my cell phone plugged into my desktop to charge it. My cellphone had hotspot turned on (I work out of airports often), but my computer was not connected to it (still Ethernet connection).

Once I unplugged my phone, I was able to connect to P99 right away. If I left my phone plugged in with hotspot turned off, I was also able to connect right away.

That was an odd solution for me but it worked.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:40 AM
Sarnak

I am having this same problem while connected to my work wifi. Last night I played all night at home. I can connect to any server besides the P99 servers.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:02 PM
Sarnak

I also am having this problem with a new computer i just assembled witha ryzen 7700x thats stock 4.5ghz. I need to lower it to 4ghz in the bios to fix it?
Old 04-07-2023, 11:12 AM
Sarnak

Just installed p99 for the first time in a few years and on my new pc.... with a 7600x. Bummer. Really don't want to downclock.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:09 PM
Skeleton

There is a workaround such that you don't have to downclock.

1) Set all core CCX manual clock to 4 or 4.2 Ghz in BIOS

2) Install AMD Ryzen Master software

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

3) Every time you boot up PC or wake up from sleep - open Ryzen Master, set ECO or DEFAULT profile. This returns CPU clock/boost to normal out of box behavior and overrides BIOS manual setting.

4) Play EQ, or do whatever!

Step 3 is indeed annoying, but this is what I have been doing to get full CPU performance while being able to play P99.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:24 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A similar 32-bit overflow exists in the game where after ~ 4.2 billion milliseconds of uptime other things stop working, like mouseover text, or holding alt to see your spell gem names, etc.
They did fix this on live IIRC, I reported that issue back in WinXP days suggesting that this was the issue and to use the absolute value for how long the mouse had hovered... If you don't reboot, I believe the issues autocorrects ~49 days after it first appears, then breaks again after another ~49 days.

This is definitely the same type of issue, 4.2 GHz clock speed works as one would expect due to the nature of the issue.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:29 AM
Sarnak

You know whats even stranger? I didn't change anything in my set up and I cant log into EQ at all. Nothing new, nothing at all changed, no Bio's changes, software, nothing, and I cant log in to P99 servers (mostly) anymore. ANy ideas? im not using AMD Im using Intel, a 6600K..very odd, but i am using a Gigabyte mobo
Old 06-17-2023, 03:34 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by botrainer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know whats even stranger? I didn't change anything in my set up and I cant log into EQ at all. Nothing new, nothing at all changed, no Bio's changes, software, nothing, and I cant log in to P99 servers (mostly) anymore. ANy ideas? im not using AMD Im using Intel, a 6600K..very odd, but i am using a Gigabyte mobo
When you open Task Manager and go to Performance tab and click CPU, what does base speed say? If it's over 4.2 GHz then that's the problem. If it's not over 4.2 then you have something else causing your issue.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieDan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you open Task Manager and go to Performance tab and click CPU, what does base speed say? If it's over 4.2 GHz then that's the problem. If it's not over 4.2 then you have something else causing your issue.
Im running a INTEL Core I7 - 6700k @ 4.0 GHz and have been for nearly 8 years (coming this fall it would be 8 years on this system setup.). memory is DDR4 - 32GBs - 3000MHz which hasn't changed in nearly 8 years, the graphics card is the same one Ive been using for 4ish years, hard drive is the same, same internet company and speed. Nothing has changed. I can log into Grand Creation Server and serval others just not P99 ones. very odd.