Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Aviak

Send a message via AIM to zschwarzmiller

I seem to be having two issues:

When I recreate the eqclient.ini file the original file is still in the folder as you can see via this screenshot:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...20521935_n.jpg

The issue I am having is when I attempt to launch "Project 1999" I am receiving an error message "The program eqgame.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Attached is a screenshot:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...05875981_n.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Aviak

I am unable to do this:

Under the Format menu, choose “Make Plain Text.” Save it to your P99 folder (easy way to avoid having to rifle through your system: in Finder, drag one of the files in the P99 folder to TextEdit’s Save As window), and save it as eqclient.ini. Make sure “hide extension” is unchecked.

When I uncheck "hide extension" it automatically adds .txt to it... Is there a way to prevent this?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zschwarzmiller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am unable to do this:

Under the Format menu, choose “Make Plain Text.” Save it to your P99 folder (easy way to avoid having to rifle through your system: in Finder, drag one of the files in the P99 folder to TextEdit’s Save As window), and save it as eqclient.ini. Make sure “hide extension” is unchecked.

When I uncheck "hide extension" it automatically adds .txt to it... Is there a way to prevent this?
You can just change the ".txt" part of the filename to ".ini". At least, I can. If you can't for some reason, save it as whatever and then just rename it in Finder. Make sure the file extension isn't hidden, though, or that will change what the actual filename is as far as EQ is concerned.

Once you have your eqclient.ini setup properly, the game should load. I think the reason it's crashing for you is that the file doesn't exist.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can just change the ".txt" part of the filename to ".ini". At least, I can. If you can't for some reason, save it as whatever and then just rename it in Finder. Make sure the file extension isn't hidden, though, or that will change what the actual filename is as far as EQ is concerned.

Once you have your eqclient.ini setup properly, the game should load. I think the reason it's crashing for you is that the file doesn't exist.
Should I delete the original eqclient.ini?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zschwarzmiller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should I delete the original eqclient.ini?
Sure, there's really no harm in that. All you should need to be able to run the game for the first time is an eqclient.ini with the barebones settings I listed in my post. Once the game runs for the first time, it'll write out its own version with its full list of settings.

The important thing is that the true filename is "eqclient.ini". If your OS thinks the file should have a .txt extension and is hiding that from you, you might think it's named eqclient.ini when in fact it's really eqclient.ini.txt, and the game won't see it. You can click on the file in Finder and use File -> Get Info to check on this. Look under "Name & Extension".
Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Aviak

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure, there's really no harm in that. All you should need to be able to run the game for the first time is an eqclient.ini with the barebones settings I listed in my post. Once the game runs for the first time, it'll write out its own version with its full list of settings.

The important thing is that the true filename is "eqclient.ini". If your OS thinks the file should have a .txt extension and is hiding that from you, you might think it's named eqclient.ini when in fact it's really eqclient.ini.txt, and the game won't see it. You can click on the file in Finder and use File -> Get Info to check on this. Look under "Name & Extension".
Flawless! Thank you so much! I AM IN!!!!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Aviak

My compass is all over the place... Has anyone had experience with this?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
My compass is all over the place... Has anyone had experience with this?
Crazycompass is probably due to your sense heading skill being very, very low. Mine doesn't dance around, but that may be the UI I'm using? Not sure. I think it's normal, though.

Fizzlelina Fizzlezalot <Castle> :: Gnome Necromancer :: Green
Welgrim Stoutslammer <Dawn Believers> :: Dwarf Cleric :: Blue
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Welgrim's Project 1999 files: https://p99.yourfirefly.com
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Fire Giant

Level your sense heading. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Once it's maxed, the compass will always be accurate. Until then, any time you're able to successfully sense your heading, your compass will work for a short time and then it'll start to go crazy again.

You can level it quickly by creating an extra hotbutton bar with a bunch of sense heading buttons. Then go into your key bindings in-game and add all your commonly-used keys (the ones bound for movement, auto-attack, etc) as bindings for those buttons. It'll warn you that the key is bound to more than one action, but that's what you want. Now whenever you hit one of those keys, you'll attempt to use sense heading (if it's not cooling down) as well as do the normal action for that key. Train a couple points to get started (those first 20 or so points take forever to get) and you'll have it maxed around level 10.
Last edited by phobus; 07-01-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Aviak

Great info! Thank's guys! Forgot you had to level basic skills like that!