Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How exactly did it help make the game feel more classic?
Because people actually had to do the quests and camp the mobs to get powerful magic items??

And it allowed rare items to stay rare instead of endlessly cloning them at the cost of some plat.

Everyone wants a "fresh start" free from mudflation, then they fight to keep item duplication cheese in the game. /boggle
Old 11-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palemoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone wants a "fresh start" free from mudflation, then they fight to keep item duplication cheese in the game. /boggle
I mean, the faster timeline here will have a big effect on this. But in general I think that a lot of people who complained about mudflation on blue won't mind it when they're in on the ground floor of green/teal. It's really is as much a part of MMOs as it is an annoyance.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

On blue Alligator skins were extremely common. I believe they classically fixed them to be a low drop rate here.

On blue Groi Guttblade was a static spawn that could be camped with no effort. I believe they classically fixed him to have a random spawn location and roam.

These are two variants from Blue which had Leatherfoot Caps and Rings of Shadows as probably the two most recharged items, which should make them much more difficult to obtain.

Recharging is a classic mechanic, knowledge of players is indeed making it far more prevalent however. Among this issues that “knowledge of players” causes for an unclassic experience, this isn’t in my top 3.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

How _do_ you turn in sarnak braids as a good race ? Asking for a friend.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnasP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How _do_ you turn in sarnak braids as a good race ? Asking for a friend.
Couldn't you enlist the help of a cleric or chanter or necro, pacify him so you can stand close enough to open trade window without aggroing, then IVU before completing the turnin? I think this mimics being indifferent for the turnin just like sneaking to do a quest does.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Faction_Tricks
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-19-2019 at 01:08 PM..
Old 11-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Beat me to it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Personally, I think recharging could go either way. It IS an exploit by some definition, and in some respect is no different from Whirl 'till You Hurl. But it's also an "exploit" that was never fixed on live, and that some players absolutely did know about back then.

Really, what bugs me about recharging is just the inconsistency. Recharging items is FAR more game-breaking than the SG "glitch through" bug. Like recharging, that bug was never fixed on live, and at least on my server (Bristlebane) the SG glitch was FAR more well known.

On live only rich players with expensive rechargeable items even had any reason to know about recharging (most didn't know about mallets and caps). But EVERYONE ON THE SERVER who wanted to go to WW, DN, or TOV had to get through SG, and EVERYONE knew that the way to do it was to glitch through (if you weren't in a guild and had guildmates to tell you, you'd inevitably see someone else doing it or read about it online).

Ban recharging or don't, but at least be consistent and apply the same logic/rationale to other stuff, like the SG glitch. If P99 is truly going to get unclassic and "ban exploits", then define what an exploit is (however that makes sense to the devs) and stick to that definition.

It's not my place to tell the devs that recharging or the SG glitch is/isn't an exploit: it's their server, their call. But without a clear exploit definition, it all just feels incredibly subjective, because those two things seem like they should be in the category (or if anything recharging should be nerfed and SG not).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 11-19-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Old 11-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Sarnak

So why exactly did we keep item recharging in Green/Teal especially considering how we removed it from Red?

Why was it removed from Red anyway? PvP abuse?

If so, why does PvE abuse get a pass especially considering its impact as outlined in this thread?

There's a lot of stupid stuff you can do with clickies that would normally be balanced by the time it takes to acquire them, however item recharging removes that time and, in my opinion is against the spirit of the game and the spirit of classic in general. Yes, the cost of recharging can also be a limiting factor, but that can be offset by profits that can be generated through their usage.

Is this really just an executive decision made by the developers or is it a community decision?

I guess this really boils down to the question: Is the goal of this project to simply recreate the code of classic Everquest and let the game play itself out now that we have the foresight, or is the goal to recreate the experience of classic from many years ago?
Old 11-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why was it removed from Red anyway? PvP abuse?
Was actually removed for PVE abuse, which is ironic. People were leveling fast recharging the red wood wands.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palemoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was actually removed for PVE abuse, which is ironic. People were leveling fast recharging the red wood wands.
And people are doing this on Green now too.

I think it's time we had it removed from Green/Teal too.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Interesting... Very interesting.
Closed Thread