Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aggro a mob / run around with it and have DPS kill it. Will be the most efficient way of levelling in classic given no gear.
It will also be way more fun than the normal infinite circle kite.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksinga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
#1. Thread was derailed as I was strictly referring to AOE kiting.

#2. Name one bard ability that generates enough threat to hold over any reliable DPS? The "real" aggro ability that every one in this thread is referring to is 50+. Something that won't be on Green until Kunark (years away?)

#3. What kind of group would even get a bard to tank, especially in classic? Sure, if you were in Kunark and beyond and desperate, go for it. A bard may be a plate class, but they are far from a tanking class.
Well this comment didn't age well
Old 10-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if he deserves it, but in his 'defense', if he matured as a bard only after Luclin came out, there was a massive nerf to bard aggro because of AE songs at the time, and any bard leveling after that era rightly believes bards have an incredibly hard time holding aggro.

Astuce
Pretty much spot on. I played in the trilogy while I was very young and didn’t get into the game fully as a Bard until a few expansions in. I haven’t played on P99 blue, just Red and many other servers and live, where keeping aggro as a bard was near impossible.

Still surprised to see many people that want bards to tank with their incredibly low STA and other melee stats.

One thing that didn’t change was how squishy bards were. Yes, we wear plate, but our melee stats are fairly low. I feel like people are bard tanking with fungis on Blue and translate that to wanting to MT on Green.
Last edited by Darksinga; 10-16-2019 at 06:41 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Fire Giant

I feel like you started off claiming that you knew I was wrong because you've been playing a bard since 99, now you're saying you didn't really get into playing a bard until after Luclin, so maybe you should stop assuming that you know more than people who have been playing bards for years on blue who are telling you that bards can be good tanks for group content, especially throughout classic and Kunark?
Old 10-16-2019, 07:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like you started off claiming that you knew I was wrong because you've been playing a bard since 99, now you're saying you didn't really get into playing a bard until after Luclin, so maybe you should stop assuming that you know more than people who have been playing bards for years on blue who are telling you that bards can be good tanks for group content, especially throughout classic and Kunark?
If you look back at page 1, you were on my nuts when this entire thread was about AOE kiting.

I did play a Bard since 99, but was young. Will gladly duel you on Green to test your pvp skills though !
Old 10-16-2019, 07:13 PM
Fire Giant

What do pvp skills have to do with you being wrong about bards ability to hold agro and tank in classic era?

This thread is about whether bards are worth playing with the 4 mob cap. Of course they are, because they are amazing utility and can be great group tanks.

You maybe shouldn't play a bard though.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:47 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksinga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thoughts if bard is worth considering I’ll be limited to swarming 4 mobs? The King of XP may be far from King in regards to solo XP.
So noone actually answered your question. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In classic Bards were the ultimate group booster but very weak solo, you can quad kite but it's not worth the effort.

Judging from the other posts in this thread we will have a great deal of bards ragequitting, deleting the character änd rolling druids instead when green goes live. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-17-2019, 05:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Pretty much spot on. I played in the trilogy while I was very young and didn’t get into the game fully as a Bard until a few expansions in. I haven’t played on P99 blue, just Red and many other servers and live, where keeping aggro as a bard was near impossible.

Still surprised to see many people that want bards to tank with their incredibly low STA and other melee stats.

One thing that didn’t change was how squishy bards were. Yes, we wear plate, but our melee stats are fairly low. I feel like people are bard tanking with fungis on Blue and translate that to wanting to MT on Green.
Bard defensive skills keep up with tank classes in Classic, and they also get some of the highest returns on stamina gear. The biggest threat to tanks in this era are casters, especially ones with wizard nukes, not the garden variety melee mobs. You could probably group tank all the way to 50 in banded armor without much difficulty in Classic.

If you don't know what you're talking about, it's probably best not to debate people about it in a public forum. Stop being so prideful, realize you're wrong, and try to learn.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Planar Protector

Even besides AE kiting, bard charm kiting is the most efficient out of any charms, in any era. Up to 20 ish, most melees will be doing similar damage due to lack of gearing. If anything, a bard meleeing + singing dmg song (maybe swapping out instrument on pulse) would outdamage normal melee at lower levels.

With 0 gear, bard also has the best sustain as they gear regen song so early.

So, even just solo, they would fare way better than basically all the other melee classes at lower levels. Once you get to 20's, just look forward to mana free charming to 50.

(Also, I tank HoT and planar stuff fine on bard, holding aggro ez pz from time 0. Did tank Vindi once from about 30% to dead. Still need bladestoppers cause I want to do VS.)
Old 10-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard defensive skills keep up with tank classes in Classic, and they also get some of the highest returns on stamina gear. The biggest threat to tanks in this era are casters, especially ones with wizard nukes, not the garden variety melee mobs. You could probably group tank all the way to 50 in banded armor without much difficulty in Classic.

If you don't know what you're talking about, it's probably best not to debate people about it in a public forum. Stop being so prideful, realize you're wrong, and try to learn.
Being so prideful? Lol. I never stated I knew everything about the Bard class. The creation of this thread in even asking the original question is evidence of this.

If you look at page one, Tenlaar was on my nuts the second I asked about AOE kiting, stating "Bards who AOE kite to max level are typically garbage."

Throughout the thread he's stated things such as "You shouldn't play a Bard," and other snippets of being a douchebag.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how many bards are tanking Lower Guk, Sol B Fire Giants, Efreeti, and other camps once Green goes live.
Last edited by Darksinga; 10-17-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Closed Thread