Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:00 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm asking anyway for those that will actually respond constructively.
For starters: The search feature is pretty amazing. Had you used it with just the word "hotbar" you probably would've come across this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there are some features that just make sense, are useful, and do not really effect gameplay or the feel of the play that much.
A prime example of this is the removal of Spell Sets. R.I.P. Spell Sets, we miss you. Even if it's only in a minor way, all 4 of the things you asked about "dumb down" the game. I'm sure a better case could be made for enabling chat channels. These have no actual affect on game play, other then player communication, which already goes thru Mumble, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, and Batphones, and would give a much needed boost to people LFG, seeking answers to small questions, trying to make pick up raids etc. If we had these, you probably wouldn't have made a post you thought was going to get flamed. But that's just me hijacking your thread.

You should consider improving the wiki or making an informative post, contributing source developement if you are familiar with code, or finding evidence and making a bug report for something that isn't correct for the time line.

After just a week of playing here, it's both short sighted and arrogant to think the small inconveniences you experience haven't been considered by the GMs, developers, programmers or 1,000+ daily player base.

Quote:
And my mistake, I thought the project was more about the original experience than an exact duplication
Consider donating 10 dollars a month. That is the be-all-end-all of the "Classic" argument.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm, I wonder if I could convince Rogean to limit each connection to a max of 9600 baud? Talk about bandwidth savings!

Making me think could have horrible impacts =D.
pls not 9600bps. holy lord that would be terrible. maybe 56k is tolerable..
Old 03-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm, I wonder if I could convince Rogean to limit each connection to a max of 9600 baud? Talk about bandwidth savings!

Making me think could have horrible impacts =D.
I had 14.4k and later 19.2k..

Just saying.

Anyway. I like the classic Everquest, but there are still some parts i just dont like.

I doubt i would play with the classic ui, i still have some screenshots. Some things - imho - dont need to be introduced into p1999.

P1999 is almost perfect how it is. I like the old gameplay, that you are not allowed to bot, that people group and alot more. I dont really need the 100% classic experience, just because *i* would not play the original everquest again. Some things can stay away [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Tubben; 03-20-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Sarnak

Honestly, if someone managed to upscale this UI here

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

to 1920 1080 and let us play like that, with the UI not overlapping with the actual graphics but the 3d graphics being just the visible window, I'd play like that.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Fire Giant

You can size the window with /viewport X Y W H (I may have the x/y and width/height mixed up) to do something like /viewport 660 0 600 400, which would give you a 600x400 graphical window top centered on a 1920x1080 monitor.

As long as a UI supports custom backgrounds for the windows, I'd think it would be doable (creating a "classic" UI with a smaller graphical window).
Old 03-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Most people don't understand the 'its classic' thing. The purpose of this server is not to be a fun server for most people who want a kind of classic experience. The purpose of this server is to be EXACTLY classic for the current timeline period, including annoying and stupid parts. An exact replica, as far as possible. Nobody cares ( in terms of changing the server ) if a certain classic feature is stupid or annoying, or even broken, or not. At least, this is my understanding of it.

There's some things that are really hard to get exactly classic, like hidden calcs about AC and various other things that were never obvious. Other things, such as how or if a particular slash command works, are easier to do.
Last edited by fadetree; 03-20-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Old 03-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Kobold

/viewport does not work on this server. I was not certain if it was intended or not so I never submitted a bug on it. That is certainly the first step into bringing back the old UI though.

Also, http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads...fo.php?id=4726

Pretty sure we can get that working on the server, but I have no idea how one would "force" everyone to use it. I should be able to make it widescreen friendly, probably by inserting a second or third chat window in the middle, because fuck you if you want everything in the same chat window on a widescreen monitor. =)
Last edited by Yonkec; 03-20-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Old 03-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The goal of this project isn't to cater to the individual and make life easier for you, it's to create a classic EverQuest. The abilities you listed are not classic, therefor will not exist, unless it existed between Vanilla and Velious.

If you think any of the abilities you listed were functioning between 1999 and 2001, create a bug report with evidence supporting your claims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most people don't understand the 'its classic' thing. The purpose of this server is not to be a fun server for most people who want a kind of classic experience. The purpose of this server is to be EXACTLY classic for the current timeline period, including annoying and stupid parts. An exact replica, as far as possible. Nobody cares ( in terms of changing the server ) if a certain classic feature is stupid or annoying, or even broken, or not. At least, this is my understanding of it.

There's some things that are really hard to get exactly classic, like hidden calcs about AC and various other things that were never obvious. Other things, such as how or if a particular slash command works, are easier to do.

Obviously, the server is not 100% classic in features or mechanics.

The frustrating part is that not all the features are benign (like item links in chat). There are some crucial aspects that are NOT classic, just look at the raid scene issues we've had for years...

Failing technical limitations, there's absolutely no reason that most of what he listed, could not be used.
Last edited by Hollywood; 03-20-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Old 03-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
There has been some talk on this. If the vein continues, the 'size' of the window for the stone UI won't be an issue.

The Velious UI was a full screen UI, so forcing it wouldn't be a 'bad' thing.
Velious UI wasn't made for wide screen monitors, and only having access to 1 chat window will probably free up a lot of camps as over half the population leaves.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Developer

Classic != Easy

Some UI changes are coming. Stand by. Don't expect a craptastic small viewport. Ever.

H
Closed Thread