Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppkins_Wytchfinder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is how clerics are made.

I started a cleric because i heard they were what got groups. I wasn't wrong. I ended up raiding past planes of power with a cleric from Kunark. I ended up being utterly bored with it. Facing walls in raids casting complete heal.
I made a cleric on p99 because I like to rotate roles when switching between MMOs and I was due up to be a healer again.

I also figured they would be desirable in groups and remembered the pain of trying to get groups on live vanilla wow.

I can say that from my experience in p99, being a cleric didn't inherently make it easier to get a group. Groups only need 1, and there are a pile of other people making them for the same "it will be easy to get groups" reason.

So I agree, play what you want to play. Except rangers. Nobody ever needs a ranger. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Sarnak

When I discovered Project 1999 three to five years ago, basically I copied my Live characters verbatim. I have added a few more since then, but since I am still adventuring on Blue - highest character only level 29, no real point to jump to Green. By the time I "catch up" to where I am on Blue, Green will be recycled!
Old 09-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Fire Giant

I will give green a shot, my friend who I originally played eq with in 1999 is starting there too. We'll duo and see how it goes. I will plan to remain raiding here though.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I strongly suspect most people will try Green. I also strongly suspect that many of the people who do think they're going to stick with Green, but won't, because they'll realize how much better of a game Blue is.
That's interesting. Obviously people have characters they are attached to, but I don't really see how blue is a better game to roll a new character on unless what you value is being able to easily twink a melee class and solo your way to the upper levels. For me, I am looking for a classic experience / nostalgia. Otherwise, there are simply better games to play.

There is really not a ton of changes to the game between start and end of timeline, mostly content. Sure you get 4 more hotbar buttons and a pet window on blue. It's not game changing for most. So really it's all about the itemization / economy / mmo dynamic (having people to play with)

Leveling on blue is made trivial by velious twink gear
Leveling on blue feels empty because you don't loot anything that matters (because you're twinked, even if it's your first char, you'll aquire high level gear gear quickly)
Leveling on blue is often solo, or in 1 area per level range. (if you can even find a group at your level range, there are some dead spots)
Traveling on blue is trivial. So many druids, so much plat. blows my mind to see all the level 10s in my casual guild begging for ports every 30 minutes to go try a new place. We just ran everywhere on live. Ports were a luxury.
Being on blue as a relatively new player surrounded by people that have been there forever.... meh.

As someone who really has just been on blue for the last month, the experience is a bit hollow. Will green be everything people hope it is? Probably not, but hopefully closer. I am looking forward to starting from scratch and slowly building up a character or two at launch. Anticipating then doing Temple of Solusek Ro quests at a point in the timeline when that gear is relevant. Experiencing as many dungeons as i can in a level / gear appropriate group setting.
Last edited by soronil; 09-16-2019 at 04:39 PM..
Old 09-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Sarnak

Pretty much there with Soronil. Blue may be the better game mechanically, but it's also packed full of twinks, the progression is completely buggered, and 90% of the quests and content are wasted as suboptimal or pointless. It definitely makes for a more empty feeling world. Players in Green are going to have to use the whole buffalo due to gear/money scarcity, mob scarcity and camp competition. It will be interesting to see if it pans out. Maybe it won't, maybe it will. Hard to say.

Perhaps what I'm interested in even more than pure classic however, is Kunark and Velious launches with timeline appropriate resources. That's going to be a pretty different ballgame for most people than how it was on Blue. I'm hoping we'll actually see the lesser traveled Kunark dungeons get packed full of people, major activity in LOIO, the boats through TD being populated, people actually doing all the assorted quests etc.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

I have had characters that have had the best items in the game.

And I have had characters that have the worst items in the game.

The latter is way more fun and just as much of a pointless waste of time as the former! 8)
Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Orc

End game on green will hopefully be better than blue due to accurate timeline and not having BiS gear in every slot on every raid character when the next expansion hits and not having dozens of mage alts to park at every raid target
Old 09-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Skeleton

Staying on blue here. I would love to play Green for the fun of it but I already know what a shit show it's going to be with all the farmers. Green will be fun for a small group of people that dominate all the fun things.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Orc

I'm still gonna keep playing blue for some casual raiding & such. I don't see any need to 'quit' it.

But I'm honestly kind of stoked for green because I never really got to experience the true classic dungeons when they were hopping. Cazic Thule, SolB, Lower Guk, all are kind of ghost towns these days and bring your own group.

I started EQ in October '99 and was a n00b so I didn't hit 40's and 50's until Velious was out and by then nobody was going to those zones. And I missed it on this server, joining after Kunark was out.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Kobold

Everyone in this thread saying they won't play green will definitely end up playing green when their guild/online friends all start on green.
Closed Thread