Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 05-25-2022, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
all having no problem whatsoever.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-25-2022, 06:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's very, very simple: box and risk getting banned. Don't box, and play with 100% peace and security, with no fear of losing your account (unless you break another rule, like say using a keypress program).
Well, it's not that simple. Your advice, though well-meaning, might be unintentionally bad. I've been here a lot longer than you have and my wife and I have to think, "Might this look like boxing to someone else?" pretty much every time we log on. We don't feel free to use auto-follow. We couldn't even let our daughter on here for a number of years out of concern she was (then) too young to read and follow GM instructions, if needed. Truth be told, if we played normally we'd probably have earned a ban years ago because certain classes (hello Cleric!), played normally, can be hard to distinguish from boxing. On such classes the wife has to go out of her way doing stuff like getting up and melee'ing specifically so an invisible third-party observer can see that, yes, there's a human there. I advise anyone else to do the same.

Granted, doing the above we've never had any trouble with the staff here, and indeed in the case described earlier in the thread the individual players *weren't* taking such measures. Also granted EQ-EMU has a well-deserved reputation for harboring a large proportion of cheaters who care nothing for rules or server health, hence enforcement has to be strict because the honor system doesn't work for people who have none. There's no easy answer to that problem.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 05-25-2022 at 06:29 PM..
Old 05-25-2022, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, it's not that simple. Your advice, though well-meaning, might be unintentionally bad. I've been here a lot longer than you have and my wife and I have to think, "Might this look like boxing to someone else?" pretty much every time we log on. We don't feel free to use auto-follow. We couldn't even let our daughter on here for a number of years out of concern she was (then) too young to read and follow GM instructions, if needed. Truth be told, if we played normally we'd probably have earned a ban years ago because certain classes (hello Cleric!), played normally, can be hard to distinguish from boxing. On such classes the wife has to go out of her way doing stuff like getting up and melee'ing specifically so an invisible third-party observer can see that, yes, there's a human there. I advise anyone else to do the same.

Granted, doing the above we've never had any trouble with the staff here, and indeed in the case described earlier in the thread the individual players *weren't* taking such measures. Also granted EQ-EMU has a well-deserved reputation for harboring a large proportion of cheaters who care nothing for rules or server health, hence enforcement has to be strict because the honor system doesn't work for people who have none. There's no easy answer to that problem.

Danth
No no no. P99 staff is omnipresent and has never made a mistake and no sane human being could ever question that they might at some point make an error and punish someone unfairly. Don't be a silly goose!

Sarcasm obviously. Loramin didn't just sip the kool-aid he shotgunned the pitcher.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:11 AM
Sarnak

I still remember a long time ago when, after a wipe in Unrest, a guy in the group offered me to get on his other character to SoW me. I assumed he was going to log off his current character to do so so I said okay, fine (but that I could just run without it as I was bound just in Dagnor's) and this cheeky mofo had the audacity to straight box in his "brother's" druid without logging out his other character. I regret not reporting him right then and there even if nothing would've come out of it, but I was new to P99.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:16 AM
Planar Protector

VPN or Mobile hotspot should let you guys both play until exemption. FYI the staff can see if you are on one computer so dont even try it. I believe it insta flags your account
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 05-26-2022, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Danth
Danth, don't feed the trolls. You know perfectly well that your wife could have passed the boxing test, whether she played a Cleric or any other class [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

No, I can't make that assumption. I wish I could. You're talking to two middle aged people who have frequent afk for various reasons and in her case joint trouble too--severe enough these days she can barely play her shaman anymore. So we make it as obvious as we can when we're on that we're separate players and hope that's good enough, so far it has been, but we're never at ease about it. At any rate I don't think it's ever a bad idea to try to make the staff's job as easy as possible.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, I can't make that assumption. I wish I could. You're talking to two middle aged people who have frequent afk for various reasons and in her case joint trouble too--severe enough these days she can barely play her shaman anymore. So we make it as obvious as we can when we're on that we're separate players and hope that's good enough, so far it has been, but we're never at ease about it. At any rate I don't think it's ever a bad idea to try to make the staff's job as easy as possible.
At least there's one other sane person in this thread. It's a legitimate concern and you have to base your play on the assumption that you may be box tested at any time if you even sort of look like you might be boxing. Whether you have an IP exemption or not.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Danth
I wouldn't worry about the Cleric looking like you're boxing. The GMs will watch for awhile and look for things like your character stopping mid-run to be healed or like running into a wall while chasing a mob and being healed, stuff like that. They won't just instantly go "Oh your cleric stood up and healed you while you were stationary and fighting a mob! You must be boxing!"

They're not mean about it like that. They will watch carefully for the way the characters move and act while both or one are moving etc. I'd say the staff are very good at distinguishing when something is boxing and when it's not (although every now and then they might have two people do the test because they weren't able to distinguish - but usually if you're not boxing you don't have anything to worry about).
Old 05-31-2022, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You're being overly paranoid. Unless you are boxing your wife's character, she will be at the keyboard when they ask her to do a box test. If she's an able-bodied human at the keyboard, she can pass the test.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.