Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Fire Giant

Default 50% of the Time I log in, I crash every time.

Ever since the most recent patch, here is what my EQ experience is like.

1) I log into EQEMU server select
2) I select P1999: RoK Blue
3) I go to character select screen
4) I 'enter world'
5) CRASH (without seeing the world, or character at all)
6) Load back up EQ
7) Select P1999: RoK Blue
8) "You currently have an active character...."
9) Two-minutes or so of waiting
10) Log into character select
11) Log into character - play all day.

Anytime I switch characters, the FIRST TIME i log-in, I crash and have to wait. I'm a patient man so I just have to log-in twice, which sucks, but whatever.

Known issue? I never once had my client 'crash' on me before this patch. Now it happens every time I try to log in, the first time, that is.

What do you need from me? I am computer literate, I have tried most things that are suggested outside of reinstalling. I use no additional UI (just the client UI).
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Fire Giant

Have you read the FAQ? http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Try this one:
Quote:
Go to your EQ folder. Find the file eqclient.ini and open it in a text editor (i use notepad, its the simplest to use)

hit ctrl+f, type windowedwidth, you should see something like this:

WindowedWidth=1280
WindowedHeight=768
Width=1280
Height=768
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1280
HeightWindowed=768

change it to this:

WindowedWidth=800
WindowedHeight=600
Width=800
Height=600
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=800
HeightWindowed=600

I'm using 800 x 600 here, but you may need to fiddle with that a bit. If 800 x 600 isnt working, try using your monitors native resolution instead. Eventually, you will get a combination that works, just keep trying.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you read the FAQ? http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Try this one:
Yes I've read the FAQ. I don't see how this would pertain to my windowed dimensions (and why this patch would have caused something that has worked for me for the past 2 years to stop working).

I run my EQ in a 1920 x 1200 window or some such.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 07-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

Just sounds like the typical sort of stuff I've had to deal with since the day I joined.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Fire Giant

This is getting worse.

I completely uninstalled EQ and reinstalled - deleted the required files, and patched the server files.

Tried to log in 5x in a row last night and crashed upon loading into world every time. Game is unplayable for me at the moment.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Banned

reformat
Old 07-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey VII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
reformat
Game applications go on a completely separate drive from my main OS. My installation folder is P:\Everquest.

If you are suggesting that it is the actual physical location of the EQ directory, that won't work - I switched installation directories before/after the install.

If it's not that, then it's in a config file or something to do with my computer registry, or perhaps a graphics driver, etc. I'm open to non-blanket suggestions. My main OS drive is not getting formatted.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 07-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just sounds like the typical sort of stuff I've had to deal with since the day I joined.
what a nice and insightful post, by yours truly, dickhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey VII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
reformat
more sarcastic insight by the average p99 user, yours truly, dickhead.

I experience this crash every day. Anywhere from four to ten times in a row! I try to hit 'Enter World' after selecting a character, then I get a SOE crash error report after it seems to be almost finished loading ....:

"EverQuest has detected that your client may have crashed.
It is often possible to determine where and why the crash occurred.
Click Yes to send this data back to the developers in an effort to help the stability of the game.
The only personal information that will be sent with the data is the character logged in, the server they were on and the zone they were in at the time.
"

I can't find the cause, only some trends... When I successfully log in I can log out and enter world with any other characters at a 100% success rate. The crash occurs while I am trying to enter the world for the first time. I run windows7 64-bit, winEQ v2.15 lite, etc. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

My post is a continuation from this technical discussion (the same thing basically): http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=155740
Last edited by Wonton; 07-15-2014 at 06:26 PM..
Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Sarnak

First: "Yours truly" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means, Wonton.

That said, does this apply to any character in any zone? What about P99 red? What if you try to launch from a normal shortcut instead of winEQ - any change at all? Anything, including a different sort of problem, might be a clue.

For the record, it could be something as simple as a driver or seemingly unrelated graphics issue (such as window dimensions). I frequently crash when going from windowed to fullscreen and vice versa, or when running in certain resolutions.

Also, a dude.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First: "Yours truly" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

That said, does this apply to any character in any zone? What about P99 red? What if you try to launch from a normal shortcut instead of winEQ - any change at all? Anything, including a different sort of problem, might be a clue.

For the record, it could be something as simple as a driver or seemingly unrelated graphics issue (such as window dimensions). I frequently crash when going from windowed to fullscreen and vice versa, or when running in certain resolutions.
I don't play on red.

It happens on every character I try to log into - it does not seem specific to any zone or character file.

As far as drivers, I updated my graphics driver to the latest when this first happened - no solution there.

Quite frankly, it happened directly after the patch hit (I literally unzipped the file into my EQ directory, logged in right away, and crashed - and thought, hrm, that's odd, i've honestly never crashed in my life). It has just persisted and intensified since then.

Almost certainly has to do with the new patch files and it's interactions - maybe dsetup.dll is trying to grab something it shouldn't - some sort of access violation?

It happens when nothing is running but EQ - it happens when I have a MTGO client, a WoW client, and EQ up. It happens when I have video running. It happens, without fail, everytime I log in, no matter what the circumstances.

I have tried changing my resolution - 800 x 600, 1900 x 1200, 1440 x 900 - it happens.

I try launching without WinEQ2 - it happens.
Scientist - 37 ROG