Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Arrow Red99 Stimulus Plan (some constructive feedback)

I should preface with a few things: I'm not complaining, the server is going to be fine even if this thread goes completely ignored, there isn't going to be a wipe, I'm not telling anyone how to run their free server (that costs them money), and I love all of you.

Cool? Cul. All that being said, I do have some constructive feedback. Take it however you like, because this is just one nerd's opinion.

I'm coming with the perspective of a player, but also someone who staffed VZTZ for a while. I know.... "LOL SEARYX WORST GM OF 2009 AWARD FAGGOT WAT DO U KNOW", right? Well, I wasn't a good GM, but I have always known how to get people playing. My failures (notably, releasing content too soon and caving in to the most-hardcore contingent of players) served as learning experiences.

I'll quit beating around the bush now. Here's what I think would make Red99 a better server than it already is:

THE EXP GRIND

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Oh, the exp rate. The grind. The epic journey (tm Rexx). The current exp rate is a 200 hour minimum grind from 1 to 50. Not all that crazy by Korean MMO standards, FFXI, or even WoW.

There are two major problems.

One, the early grind is simply too slow. You mean level three takes me more than an hour to get through? Yes, it does! And yes, I'm wearing a raincoat, Paul! I've seen many potential players check out of the server after hitting that level 3 sweet spot. My haul of TZT players this go-around was substantially less because so many people hit that level 3-5 wall and refused to play. MMORPGs in general are designed around hooking players and attaching them to their character. When you slow things down that much before they even any armor, spells, abilities, pvp hitlist, guild, or anything else - it's a lot easier for a player to just say "no thanks" and never log in again. Because you haven't hooked them yet, and you scared them off.

Two, the average player level range will trend upwards the longer the server exists. What I'm saying here is that if right now there's a fairly even distribution of players across the level 1 to level 50 spectrum, it's not going to stay that way. Eventually, most of the players on the server will be 50. This goes along with the first point I outlined in that the early leveling experience will suffer because of it. You can get a blackburrow group now, but new players may not have that luxury in a few months.

So what is the solution? MAEK EXP RAET FASTER? No. I realize that won't work. There would be a collective whine from much of the current playerbase, who would cry out that it isn't fair that newer players get an easier ride to endgame.

This is my solution: Substantially increase the exp rate from 1-25'ish, but keep the total amount of exp required to go from 1 to 50 as is by dumping the excess experience across 26-50. In short: make the early game faster, and make the late game slightly slower to compensate. Give several weeks advance notice of when this adjusted exp curve will take effect.

The primary goal is that new players would have a much easier introduction to the server, and a higher chance of becoming invested and thus actually staying to play here. Instead of having to endure 70+ hours of auto attacking orcs/gnolls to get to "the fun part" of the game. If I'm someone that's trying to market or sell this server, this is what I want to see happen - because it's a lot easier to convince someone to try a server when they don't have to spend 8 hours in the North Qeynos newbie area.

edit: trimmed to narrow focus / curb stupid ideas for item loot
Last edited by SearyxTZ; 12-31-2011 at 05:37 AM..
Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Aviak

My internets go to Searyx
Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearyxTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Item Loot: I love it, but not everyone does. From what I've seen in past pvp servers (live servers included), it will eventually drop the population rather than increase it. I would consider a less-punishing item loot option (random or restricted) if this ever gets put on the table for discussion.

PvP EXP Loss: Ultimately I feel like it's too minor / low priority to be worth arguing about. I don't think it will curb bind rushing at 50.

Kunark: I'd hope that it's a long ways off.
Item Loot: this is because of the extremely strange mechanics that heavily influence Item Loot. Traditionally, on item loot servers, the main focus began to revolve around No Drop equipment. This limits the game to less than half the items that could be earned. If we removed No Drop tags, as Fironia Vie did... how exciting would that be?! The main consensus around the PvP circles in modern gaming is for item loot. Look at the immense, nearly unfathomable hype surrounding the Darkfall release.

Kunark: I agree.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

somethin needs to b done box is dying fast classic everquest is simply to hard for folks these days for a pvp server. 20% experience bonus sullon zek style
Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Truth Send a message via AIM to Truth Send a message via MSN to Truth Send a message via Yahoo to Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloinz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
exxperience bonus sullon zek style
I agree sz was the only server where you lost exp on ir pvp kill so server had exp bonus
Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

I was in all the popular zones like Qeynos Catacombs, Gorge of King Xorbb, Kerra Island, and Runnyeye today, and NO ONE WAS THERE! Population is plummeting, guys.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look at the immense, nearly unfathomable hype surrounding the Darkfall release.
I looked for something to clearly mark this as sarcasm, but it was, right?

Item loot HEAVILY favors casters over melee. Casters, especially pet classes, lose very little by going naked in PvP. A naked melee stands 0 chance against a caster.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Truth Send a message via AIM to Truth Send a message via MSN to Truth Send a message via Yahoo to Truth

casters also have like 400hp naked at level 50 aka a flying kick and a half
Old 12-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

If there's one mistake i'm willing to admit to it's the fact that i supported this incredible slow exp.

I can deal with it, i'll be 50 eventually, but after seeing how the pop is dropping i think increasing the experience would have a good impact on the server.

It's very delicate though, it can't be to fast, no one want's to see "class of the month" just a little faster then it is right now.

I'd say 25% faster then now would suffice.

I hate to bitch so i never talked about this on the forum, but since you brought up the issue Searyx.
Videos
Wipe it clean.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

How about we keep the exp the same as classic, just like blue99 did. Agreed? Good.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Closed Thread