Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-25-2022, 11:47 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcea [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did somthing similar years ago but due to lack of interest I only did a few zones. The first zone I did was Ocean of Tears. I think I was the first person on twitch to steam the boat ride from Freeport to Butcher with working boat music.

I tried to revive what I was doing back in July 2020 but due to lack of interest moved onto other things.

You can find the post Here feel free to use the soundfont it's complete with the missing instruments.

Good luck with this, converting then editing the emt files can get laborious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I've seen several attempts at altering this over the years, all taking the same general approach (some files are lost to time).

It sounds like you took the same approach and filled in the missing instruments into the original synthusr.sf2. Sound quality is good. I'm actually happier with yours than where mine is at this stage.

But one thing that I've done this time around is start to really dig into the emt / eff files, figure out what some of the unknown values actually do, and discover some of the limitations of the emt filetype that the eff file doesn't have.

Currently working on a tool to edit the eff binaries directly, since they support about 4 more functions than the emt filetype does.

Feel free to chat me up in the discord about this.
Last edited by Uthgaard; 11-25-2022 at 12:14 PM..
Old 11-25-2022, 05:47 PM
Banned

This is awesome, I too am a huge nostalgia nerd for the original vanilla music. I was always disappointed that kunark and velious didn't have any music.

Only thing I've noticed on p99 is that music just randomly stops and starts over prematurely. Like running through west karana along the shoreline, that song (I think its also the toxx music) gets about 50 seconds through and just abruptly starts over. The music is the best part of making that horribly long run!
Old 11-25-2022, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

No music? Kunark had sea gulls, mate!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 11-25-2022, 07:00 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

edit: whoah 2:40 kicked in and im underwater immersed in super EQ n64 donkey kong country, and loving it.

Gimi a 10hr video of this track please? Not kidding [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 11-25-2022 at 07:04 PM..
Old 11-25-2022, 09:14 PM
Large Rat

I love the idea of this. Really interested in hearing the with fun instrumentation.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:43 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I've seen several attempts at altering this over the years, all taking the same general approach (some files are lost to time).

It sounds like you took the same approach and filled in the missing instruments into the original synthusr.sf2. Sound quality is good. I'm actually happier with yours than where mine is at this stage.

But one thing that I've done this time around is start to really dig into the emt / eff files, figure out what some of the unknown values actually do, and discover some of the limitations of the emt filetype that the eff file doesn't have.

Currently working on a tool to edit the eff binaries directly, since they support about 4 more functions than the emt filetype does.

Feel free to chat me up in the discord about this.
I originally did my sound font in 2013. I think it was around 2015 I started messing about with my own Everquest server. That's when I came across the utility on the EQEmu site for converting the sound files. I never really took it any further or dug any deeper into the sound files. As I said in my other post after lack of interest I stopped working on the emt files. I’m very interested to see what you do with your utility.

Do you plan on hosting it on Github or something similar?

I’m currently working on UI’s for P99, EQ Live and EQ2 at the moment. If your going to make the tool available I’d be more than happy to find time to try and do some zones.

As you mentioned Discord, If you have a Discord server for keeping track of your project I would be interested in joining would love to see this completed.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:46 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only thing I've noticed on p99 is that music just randomly stops and starts over prematurely. Like running through west karana along the shoreline, that song (I think its also the toxx music) gets about 50 seconds through and just abruptly starts over. The music is the best part of making that horribly long run!
Yeah so that is a problem with the emitter files. I've already sorted out that one currently "unknown" column is whether you should continue to hear a sound while indoors.

The current emitters operate via spheres of a set radius. If they overlap they restart the audio. So the only way for wk to have workd continuously without restarting, without also covering the entire zone with a massive radius, is for one of the unknown values to have extended the shape, or have flagged it not to restart the music if it's the same xmi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcea [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As you mentioned Discord, If you have a Discord server for keeping track of your project I would be interested in joining would love to see this completed.
https://discord.gg/p1999

I'm just on the p99 discord, I don't have a special one set up for this.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Thank you for your work on this! I know it's all popular domain and available and whatnot but experiencing it in-world like we did almost 25 years ago really does bring you back.

Thank you!

-Mcoy
Old 11-26-2022, 07:38 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The spotty music along the West Karana shoreline was the precise thing is that made me decide to start the overhaul.

The titanium client currently only supports spherical emitters of a given radius. So I came up with some fancy math in order to have music play constantly from from one end of the zone to the other, limited only to the shoreline, by basically making a massive sphere far outside of the zone itself, so that the sphere's edge blanketed the shoreline in exactly the right places.

This is demonstrated at the beginning of the video, followed by a stroll down the shoreline to show that the music successfully plays in all the right places - and nowhere else.

https://youtu.be/nHTw0BIBGvk

Enjoy
Old 11-28-2022, 04:40 PM
Orc

If your working with the emt files, do you think its possible to get the other 2 combat midis and the Bard instrument sounds to play as well?