Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 11-06-2022, 05:11 PM
Banned

An alternative to permadeath would be my idea for a tweaked out server. Regular or 2X xp, the custom pvp damage, 1 item loot per death. You get one set of no-drop gear per 10 level brackets added to trash mobs' loot table or maybe certain pieces on some rarer or more difficult mobs. Say like if you start at 30 with dwarves, then in the yard of butcherblock you can easily collect pieces of the first no-drop set on trash mobs. This is your gear set you can always fall back on and an informal quest to get all the pieces while you level. As a gauge, you take similar items from that level range and nerf them a bit. You have the choice to either risk the better stats and be looted, or lesser stats and being unlootable. So you get item loot as an economy mechanic, fun pvp mechanic without the brutality of classic. Modified loot tables so gear is really not hard to get but still keeping the best gear gated with the harder mobs.

The only problem with this is bank space. Like in albion online, a full loot server, you have alot of space and can have stacks of items. Maybe flag all items as stackable lol? Say like you can have 8 ruby breastplates, stacked like potion components.

Then you add "junction events". Event mobs that pop in a zone in-between the 2 factions that players fight over.

Some sort of zone holding mechanic at the junction zones, with a commander thats somewhat hard to flip. Just like eve online. With an advantage to holding a zone. Nothing too crazy just something worth fighting over. Maybe a slight xp gain, better drop chances, slight coin drop boost, special mobs popping in your dungeons, off the top of my head.

I remember a horde quest in Wow classic where you accumulated items as a faction quest and then an elemental would spawn near that alliance city near tarren mills. Again off the top of my head. Some sort of collective quest that once people collect enough of X items, an event spawns.

Your server is fine as-is though, this might be alot of work, just this post getting my brain to fire off because i always thought it was a shame there wasnt this kind of modding scene with EQ. At least a substancial amount of it, to the point where theres always a couple of servers to play on with a playerbase.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 11-06-2022 at 05:31 PM..
Old 11-06-2022, 05:39 PM
Banned

Another alternative ruleset: Tweak to the permadeath ruleset would be a universal bank for your characters. So your character dies but you still got access to all the loot you accumulated, minus the gear you had on when you croaked. With the stacked armor/weapons tweak. Sort of like hardcore path of exile. Or some sort of modded bank system like this. Im not sure how hard this is to code within EQ.

Basically my only gripe when i think about your server is im rusty from years of not playing and it would be hard to catch up in skill level with vets that never stopped playing. Maybe a single arena zone when permadeath is off so players can practice.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 11-06-2022 at 05:58 PM..
Old 11-06-2022, 06:18 PM
Banned

Was in the shower thinking and in fact 2 more things popped into my mind: My major thing with teams is how do you balance the pops? Make sure that one team doesnt start losing, some people stop logging in starting a downward spiral. The other one is preventing people from camping entrances of starting areas. On rallos i remember always tracking where sergeant jackson was or whatever his name was (edit: Slate) so that if i got attacked by a DE i could bait him to die on his sword. Maybe some protecting NPCs like this in the starting zones.

Sorry about all the posts id put them in one if there wasnt a 30minutes timer on edits.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:50 PM
Fire Giant

Put together a quick site with forum. I'll generally move to posting stuff there leading up to a larger announcement of launch in other places.

https://pvpeq.com/
Old 11-06-2022, 08:03 PM
Large Rat

This sounds awesome! Count me in. I was hoping for a server like this to come out... Ultimately was thinking good vs evil races but haven't really thought deep into what the balancing would be like for those. This sounds fun would def try it out.
Last edited by icosta27; 11-06-2022 at 08:05 PM..
Old 11-06-2022, 08:44 PM
Banned

Id definitely play some of this as seasons, till the ideas pile up and are refined to something better, this could be fun.

I'll drop a mention of this in the goon forums as we lead up to launch, a potential pool of players where theres still interest for emulated EQ.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Id definitely play some of this as seasons, till the ideas pile up and are refined to something better, this could be fun.

I'll drop a mention of this in the goon forums as we lead up to launch, a potential pool of players where theres still interest for emulated EQ.
Thanks I plan to do a bit of a marketing push I'll definitely reach out.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could possibly add Befallen as an extension to Unrest basement. Then maybe The Hole which extends even further down. It could be one big structure of undead nasties with lvls / toughness adjusted to appropriate levels. Unrest could be low - mid lvl, Befallen would be mid-high level and The Hole could be raid appropriate, or multi-grouped.

Or... The Hole could be an extension of Paw. The lore fits with gnolls worshipping Brell.

completely new supreme ultimate idea is a super custom zone connection tower / dungeon server where all the dungeons in the game are connected and are fought through progressively. Also make it do mobs never stop aggroing (treat you like you’re sitting) when you’re way higher level so to get back from the max level basement you gotta fight through the whole damn tower again. No gating out it’s a hell crawl.

So you just keep delving deeper or climbing higher however you’d have it.

So many fun ideas.

I think without real incentive to pvp besides zone control a hot zone with super drops enabled would be the best way to get people to concentrate into open world pvp madness

On this server my plan would be to avoid pvp as much as possible until I hit max level. Just like all the inherently inferior no item loot wide level range servers where pvp serves minimum purpose at low levels except added nuisance.

I don’t mind since you’re planning on making it fast leveling so it kinda nukes out the low level range game which is a shame but I understand why people wanna just be max level already.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 11-07-2022 at 01:48 AM..
Old 11-07-2022, 04:17 AM
Fire Giant

I'm leaning towards damage scaling rather than super fast leveling. Still fast but not like one kill gets you a level fast. This retains the enjoyment of PvE for longer while still making PvP viable. Going back to my original idea of a 1% penalty/bonus per level difference. A level 10 hits a level 50 for 30 damage it becomes 30 + 40% = 42. A level 50 hits a level 10 for 100 damage it becomes 100 - 40% = 60. I think the sweet spot is actually 1.5%. In this way a level 10 and 50 can actually fight each other. The higher level still has a big advantage but it fades quickly especially in group fights. Any resist, damage mitigation, etc from level is turned off for PvP so your resist checks are purely gear based.

The default EQEmu code doesn't actually support coin loot. It has a weird half assed loot system but what it can do is allow you to assign an item for players to drop when killed. In this way it allows you to loot coin. I could fix that to just loot coin but I like this mechanic.

I'm thinking of making players drop a Joker card which is turned in for rewards like items including legacy items. They could also just randomly drop gear and another idea I have is we can randomly select a piece of the gear they are wearing and just duplicate it as a drop. In this way the player doesn't lose the item but you still get nice rewards for kills. This allows a balance mechanism as well where lets say one guild is dominating the server and raids if you kill their members they have a chance of dropping their raid gear if they're wearing it. This brings back the old Rallos item bagging strats in a softer but relevant way.

I want to have a live beta on eqemulator loginserver by next weekend. Once these issues are worked out it will be ready for beta. Really I just need to get this beta going and have people test some variations. I'm thinking I'll just make everyone a guide at login and give them a command set that makes testing easy.

https://pvpeq.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3
Last edited by azxten; 11-07-2022 at 04:30 AM..
Old 11-07-2022, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
another idea I have is we can randomly select a piece of the gear they are wearing and just duplicate it as a drop. In this way the player doesn't lose the item but you still get nice rewards for kills. This allows a balance mechanism as well where lets say one guild is dominating the server and raids if you kill their members they have a chance of dropping their raid gear if they're wearing it. This brings back the old Rallos item bagging strats in a softer but relevant way.
fuk yes