Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Bard: Will I be despised if I Swarm Kite?

I'm considering coming back to EQ after a 16 year absence and love the Project_1999 concept. I used to be a Bard, and I'd really like to try it again.

However, I've been researching online regarding various Pros and Cons of Project_1999, and I was quite surprised to see how many times I ran across comments like "I hate Bards who Swarm Kite".

Why is that?

I honestly don't remember that being a problem with other players back in the day. Maybe I was oblivious at the time? But I have no recollection of people being pissed-off when I would swarm-kite with my Bard back in 2001.

Have perceptions changed for some reason? Maybe there aren't as many mobs in Project_1999 compared with the original EQ, and as a result the players don't like Bards "hogging" all the mobs for themselves?

I don't know. It just seemed like Swarm-Kiting was a legitimate strategy for the Bard, but if everyone is going to be pissed-off all the time, perhaps I should consider a different class instead?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by Benjord; 03-15-2018 at 12:49 PM..
Old 03-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Fire Giant

Short answer no...don't be a dick and you won't be despised.

Long answer, no...don't be dick
Old 03-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Kobold

If you are courteous and don't take every single mob from other players, people won't hate you. I do generally roll my eyes when I see a bard rounding up all available mobs from a spot I'm hunting, but the 25 mob PBAoE cap has definitely helped curb douchey behavior. It's not nearly as taboo as a few years ago.

Also since the Guides/community determined it was kosher to just pull single mobs off a bard's kite, I would just pull singles off a massive train to keep my flow of xp uninterrupted.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Kobold

Also worth mentioning that Swarm Kiting is a super specific skill, so make sure you keep up to date with your songs/combat skills/abilties/etc by grouping or soloing 1v1. Make sure you aren't that lvl 38 bard without any 1hs skill, and no grouping appropriate songs. Make sure you know how to charm, mez, pull and twist in a group or solo setting. Many bards quit by the time they are about 40ish, as swarming becomes boring and they have no skillset outside of it.

Bard charming is some of the most unique solo xp methods I've ever experienced, and I encourage others do try it! Bard Fear Kiting is also really fun.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are courteous and don't take every single mob from other players, people won't hate you. I do generally roll my eyes when I see a bard rounding up all available mobs from a spot I'm hunting, but the 25 mob PBAoE cap has definitely helped curb douchey behavior. It's not nearly as taboo as a few years ago.

Also since the Guides/community determined it was kosher to just pull single mobs off a bard's kite, I would just pull singles off a massive train to keep my flow of xp uninterrupted.
This. But, don't let people take advantage of you when swarming. I don't think people are allowed to peal them off if they have been damaged... only agro. (at least that is what ive heard)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Ah, that makes sense. Having a 25 mob cap per train, and allowing others to single pull a mob here and there from the train seems perfectly reasonable.

This may be a dumb question (I feel like I'm almost a noob all over again), but how long does it take at lower levels (20 and under) for the more basic mobs to re-spawn after being killed?

Thanks again for the input.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah, that makes sense. Having a 25 mob cap per train, and allowing others to single pull a mob here and there from the train seems perfectly reasonable.

This may be a dumb question (I feel like I'm almost a noob all over again), but how long does it take at lower levels (20 and under) for the more basic mobs to re-spawn after being killed?

Thanks again for the input.
6 Minutes for the lower level ones, so just be courteous to other players, as if you have 25 mobs running around for 15mins, that effectively stops anything from spawning in that area. Also the 25 mob cap is hard coded, so your PBAoE songs won't hit more than 25 targets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMindAmok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. But, don't let people take advantage of you when swarming. I don't think people are allowed to peal them off if they have been damaged... only agro. (at least that is what ive heard)
Yeah this is correct, I wouldn't ever recommend pulling a mob that is less that 100% hp, opens up new KS avenues no one wants to go down.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Since swarm kiting doesnt work on p99, no one will get mad at ya.

AE kites though....
Old 03-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Server GM

My advice is, don't swarm kite in any dungeons if other players are there. Also be aware if you swarm kite and have to zone or die, your mobs will path back and most likely kill someone. That's on you.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Banned

make sure you spam your favorite song lyrics in oOC and only speak in poetic verse
Closed Thread