Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Enchanter's power level? Multiple choice allowed.
Non-classically overpowered and needs nerf 66 33.33%
Non-classically overpowered and does not need nerf 19 9.60%
Classically overpowered and needs nerf (Bard, Nec, etc examples) 23 11.62%
Classically overpowered and does not need nerf 88 44.44%
Trivializes content and needs nerf 42 21.21%
Trivializes content and does not need nerf 16 8.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 02:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The humans 20+ years ago are no differnt than the humans today.
Citation needed.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't need "proof": basic logic dictates that if you have many thousands of Enchanter players, and a good chunk are communicating on a forum, that they're going to share useful information with each other and make that information widely known (eg. the information that you can earn XP a whole lot faster by soloing than you can in a group).
Unless you have patch notes or statements from devs (or data mining that indicates something is broken as in the case of channeling) then it’s not relevant to discuss changing something. For every player post saying X from 21 years ago you could find a post saying the exact opposite.

Find real evidence or stop spamming the forums with posts about enchanters and your whining about them (OP).
Old 03-22-2021, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I disagree: MMOG players are MMOG players, and humans are humans. The humans 20+ years ago are no different than the humans today.

Yes, we have more game knowledge today then we had back then: that is true and valid. But no, it does not explain why it was possible for Enchanters do vastly better soloing than grouping back then ... yet very few chose to do so ... and none of those few were wiling to communicate as much on the forums of the time.

Occam's razor: either only a few secretive uber players knew how to play the game, out of the thousands that played, and they didn't share that super l33t knowledge .. or the game was different back then, and what we have currently isn't classic.
But enchanters weren't 25% of the server population back then, closer 2-3%. You've already read comments posted in this very thred of contemporary enchanters that were soloing fire gaint and ghoul lord camp. Hence, at this juncture Occam's Razor clearly suggests it was happening, you just simply never observed it.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

I remember soloing nagafin with my enchanter back in 99 and you cant prove me wrong, idk what you guys are on about
Old 03-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I disagree: MMOG players are MMOG players, and humans are humans. The humans 20+ years ago are no different than the humans today.

Yes, we have more game knowledge today then we had back then: that is true and valid. But no, it does not explain why it was possible for Enchanters do vastly better soloing than grouping back then ... yet very few chose to do so ... and none of those few were wiling to communicate as much on the forums of the time.

Occam's razor: either only a few secretive uber players knew how to play the game, out of the thousands that played, and they didn't share that super l33t knowledge .. or the game was different back then, and what we have currently isn't classic.
Lets be a little realistic, nobody did anything with enchanters until triangle and tecmos made how to videos back in 2012-14. And even then it wasn't until around 2016 that "everyone" started doing the same tricks.

I played p99 where chanters were soloing everything and people were ranking themselves on the solo artist challenge, while 99% of P99 still had no idea how to even group as one let alone solo everything.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

A contemporary "elite" enchanter from FoH:

Vanilla:
"Before any expansions were released, enchanters were soloing the ghoul lord and fire giants area with charmed pets."

Kunark:
"When kunark was released, we kept pets in groups in Sebilis that doubled the entire groups experience over a 4 or 5 hour experience grind. "

Velious:
"During Velious, we could charm giants in Kael that easily netted twice the exp normally recieved in an experience group. Velious is where the environments started to change and become much more favorable to charming. Once equipment and player stats started reaching the proportions they did in velious, the risk of charm became trivial. "

Any questions from the peanut gallery?
Old 03-22-2021, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

If we want to fix the game, here's how we do it: nuke the wiki and ban anyone who posts links on how to do stuff.

Make the power secret.

Make the magic magic again.

Let the freaks hang out in a secret corner of the internet mastering everything and dominating all the content like this game is meant to be played.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
As a side note; ever have any luck in getting that classic research holy grail site back up?
Yes I've finished indexing with Open Semantic Search. It is not nearly as clean as Azure was, it thinks dates are phone numbers and all sorts of silliness, but the contextual search works great.

I need to clean it up a bit and at that point I'll see about making it publicly accessible.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure what you mean by projecting. Anyway, it's an interesting rabbit hole to climb down.

Perhaps we also need:
artificially 1 minute minimum zoning tim.
artificially giving everyone a ping in the 300s.
10-20% chance whenever you try to zone, you actually get spit back in the zone you came from even after having to wait that minute
Heavily restrict resolution and UI manipulation.
Removal of the "wow " camera mode.
Every zone with more than 30 people in randomly crashes at least twice a day.

I could go on.
sign me the fuck up
Old 03-22-2021, 03:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A contemporary "elite" enchanter from FoH:

Vanilla:
"Before any expansions were released, enchanters were soloing the ghoul lord and fire giants area with charmed pets."

Kunark:
"When kunark was released, we kept pets in groups in Sebilis that doubled the entire groups experience over a 4 or 5 hour experience grind. "

Velious:
"During Velious, we could charm giants in Kael that easily netted twice the exp normally recieved in an experience group. Velious is where the environments started to change and become much more favorable to charming. Once equipment and player stats started reaching the proportions they did in velious, the risk of charm became trivial. "

Any questions from the peanut gallery?
They’re just going to tell you that those quotes don’t matter because they have quotes showing the exact opposite. Only things that they can use to try and make their whiney demands are things that they’ll consider valid
Closed Thread