Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Sarnak

Question Is there a good reason for a raiding MNK to have a 2hb?

The dmg issue has been beaten to death, and I know that DWing is going to be more DPS, more consistently. I have No 2hb atm, tho, and am wondering if I should buy one for DS mobs, or for any other reason a 2hander would be preferable to DWing. My budget right now allows me to buy ONE of the folowing: a pb (no 2hb weapon), an ada club for MH (have jade mace + SoS, atm), or a 2nd tink bag (have one already, plus a large soiled). I'm leaning more toward either a pb or another tink bag. What do you guys think?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

It's always nice to not kill yourself in sky or plane of hate on damage shields.
I admittedly know nothing about monk weaponry though. Is a T-Staff proc too much agro for raiding?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Fire Giant

At least on live, when monks started getting riposte AA and the fact most mobs were doing Rampages.. using a 2HB was beneficial for a few reasons.. Primarily that when you are using 2HB you are less likely to be riposted by the mobs, and when you riposte yourself you would do more damage then when using 1hander. Your mention of the DS is also valid as, especially later (maybe not classic so much) a lot of raid mobs have crazy high dmg ds.

IMO - if you are tanking as a monk, or happen to eat rampage, 2HB will allow you to live longer.

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Fire Giant

Peacebringer for DS mobs would be best. Unless you carry lots of clickies and extras the tink bag probably won't be worth it. You didn't specify level but you really won't see the benefit of the ada club till it procs 50+ with the stun damage mitigation, same with t-staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is a T-Staff proc too much agro for raiding?
I tend to think so. Also most monks tend to shy away from the front of a mob and think they are a rogue who needs to be in the back. This can cause mobs to turn and just lead to poor agro control.
Last edited by evilkorn; 02-22-2015 at 11:50 AM..
Old 02-23-2015, 02:27 AM
Fire Giant

Tstaff is good for pvp!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

Monk dps is largely independent from position, so the real answer is monk's are idiots when their choice of position causes problems with push or agro (blowing rogue stabs).
Old 02-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you don't, you're an idiot, hypothetically.

And as a dps monk, which you would be, as an idiot, your job is DPS. And you do significantly more dps from behind than in front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monk dps is largely independent from position, so the real answer is monk's are idiots when their choice of position causes problems with push or agro (blowing rogue stabs).
Um... My understanding is that attacks from behind remove the mobs chance at dodge/parry/riposte. It also negates the avoidance AC (agil + defense modifiers) so you hit more more dmg more often.

That's for ALL melee...

Krey
Old 02-23-2015, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Um... My understanding is that attacks from behind remove the mobs chance at dodge/parry/riposte. It also negates the avoidance AC (agil + defense modifiers) so you hit more more dmg more often.

That's for ALL melee...

Krey
It is my understanding when all melee are on a single side of the mob the mob will get pushed out of melee range of several who aren't moving with the mob.

It is my contention that the loss of these Autoattack swings, backstab and flying kicks which miss due to be out of range, total more damage than the damage gained by monks hitting for a bit more in the back arc.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

It's more important to balance push for group / raid sanity. Also important to know when to not balance push. Seems like the only time most players actually do manage to balance it is when the mob is casting CH or gate, which is bad btw.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Skeleton

tstaff for no ripostes
twig and epic fist for push
good luck my brother
Closed Thread