Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 02-16-2024, 11:30 AM
Kobold

Default Why did I die?

I was on my 18 Necro in Unrest MR when things went south from a bad pull. The group decided to flee so I took off towards the zone. I left my summoned pet there to fight so I could get some distance between me and the mobs. I got far enough away to cast FD which succeeded (no fail message.) A few seconds later, I was attacked and promptly killed by those same mobs.

Why did I die when FD worked? I'm guessing it had to do with my pet but I'm hoping to understand the mechanics of how this works. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2024, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

There is no fail message for FD. You need to /con the mobs to check if your FD succeded or failed. They should con indifferent if it worked. It sounds like FD simply failed and you didn't know.

This doesn't apply to your situation, but if you are actively autoattacking a mob when you FD, that can cause FD to fail as well. You need to turn autoattack off before attenpting to FD.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no fail message for FD. You need to /con the mobs to check if your FD succeded or failed. They should con indifferent if it worked. It sounds like FD simply failed and you didn't know.

This doesn't apply to your situation, but if you are actively autoattacking a mob when you FD, that can cause FD to fail as well. You need to turn autoattack off before attenpting to FD.
The fail message I'm referring to is, "you have fallen to the ground" which means FD failed, no? I did not get that message.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

You had auto attack turned off?

No spells landed on you after you FDed?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-16-2024, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven1313 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was on my 18 Necro in Unrest MR when things went south from a bad pull. The group decided to flee so I took off towards the zone. I left my summoned pet there to fight so I could get some distance between me and the mobs. I got far enough away to cast FD which succeeded (no fail message.) A few seconds later, I was attacked and promptly killed by those same mobs.

Why did I die when FD worked? I'm guessing it had to do with my pet but I'm hoping to understand the mechanics of how this works. Thanks!
If you stood up while ur pet was still aggrod then you get the aggro right back
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 02-16-2024, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven1313 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fail message I'm referring to is, "you have fallen to the ground" which means FD failed, no? I did not get that message.
Interesting! I never noticed that actually. Looking over a few years worth of logs going back to 2019, I've only gotten this message 69 times on my SK. They all indeed seem to occur during a failed FD. I am a bit surprised if I have only failed FD 69 times in 4 years worth of logs.

I need to look deeper into my logs and see if there are any failed FD's without that message. Perhaps the message only shows up if you are close to other mobs? It's just a wild guess though.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You had auto attack turned off?

No spells landed on you after you FDed?
Correct
Old 02-16-2024, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Correct
Yeah I would advise to always /con mobs after FD, regardless of whether you get the "fallen to the ground" message or not. That is a guaranteed way to know if FD worked or not.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you stood up while ur pet was still aggrod then you get the aggro right back
Hmm.. this seems the most likely cause thus far. I'm not sure if I stood up or not and it's not seen in the logs. Just to confirm though, if you have a pet engaged and you FD, it should clear aggro even though pet is still fighting and dies, correct?
Old 02-16-2024, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Hmm.. this seems the most likely cause thus far. I'm not sure if I stood up or not and it's not seen in the logs. Just to confirm though, if you have a pet engaged and you FD, it should clear aggro even though pet is still fighting and dies, correct?
Oh actually what it probably was is the mobs haven't reset to their original spawn points yet. If you FD successfully but then get up while the mobs are still pathing back, they will re-agro often times. You normally need to wait until they path back fully.