Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 04:42 AM
Kobold

The license doesn't stop the code authors from waiving the requirement to share derivative code in the first place even if it applied in this case. (although with so many authors in this case, that could be hard to get consensus but I doubt they care)

The codebases have diverged so much by now that it's often hard to impossible to merge stuff anyway. You'd usually be better off writing from scratch after being given the mechanics details or it would have to be heavily modified at least. They also emulate different eras and clients, so many of the changes are not relevant to EQEmu's main fork anyway. On top of that, coders often like to do things 'their way' and wouldn't want to merge and would rather write it themselves. It's not a simple matter of P99 giving code over and EQEmu suddenly being better. Different projects have different priorities.

TAKP was open source for a year after we launched and it caused serious problems which would have resulted in developers leaving had we remained open. Trust me, be glad P99 is closed for the time being.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The license doesn't stop the code authors from waiving the requirement to share derivative code in the first place even if it applied in this case. (although with so many authors in this case, that could be hard to get consensus but I doubt they care)

The codebases have diverged so much by now that it's often hard to impossible to merge stuff anyway. You'd usually be better off writing from scratch after being given the mechanics details or it would have to be heavily modified at least. They also emulate different eras and clients, so many of the changes are not relevant to EQEmu's main fork anyway. On top of that, coders often like to do things 'their way' and wouldn't want to merge and would rather write it themselves. It's not a simple matter of P99 giving code over and EQEmu suddenly being better. Different projects have different priorities.

TAKP was open source for a year after we launched and it caused serious problems which would have resulted in developers leaving had we remained open. Trust me, be glad P99 is closed for the time being.
This. Sadly code is not as portable as most people think. The EQEMU is built to operate for a specific Everquest era, which isn't P99's eras. P99 is also built to cater to P99, which has it's own custom ideas that are not classic. This means a lot of the custom code in P99 isn't directly relevant to the EQEMU anyway, because it is doing things like modifying how spell interrupts work. The spell interrupt code already exists in the EQEMU, so unless the original authors REALLY want Kunark/Velious style spell interrupts with P99 flavor in EQEMU, the code isn't useful.

If there are some general bug fixes/improvements in P99 that could be applied to EQEMU, who is to say the devs of P99 haven't shared that already with the EQEMU devs?
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-13-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Old 12-13-2021, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i bet loramin feels pretty silly right now
For once ... I truly do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I made a mistake, or actually two. The minor one was misunderstanding a software license, and the much bigger one was making a big clickbaity thread about it instead of trying to discuss it without all the drama.

Again, I sincerely apologize for both. All I can hope is that the people I besmirched got some amusement out of laughing at this thread.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Don't worry about apologizing we're all just people, just take this as a learning experience next time everyone is yelling at you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

JFK ended the federal support of mental hospitals and started the epidemic we live in today.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't worry about apologizing we're all just people, just take this as a learning experience next time everyone is yelling at you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

JFK ended the federal support of mental hospitals and started the epidemic we live in today.
Thank you Jib, that post made me me smile.

But I still feel bad, and will for awhile ... as I should. R&N certainly didn't deserve this thread.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

You should feel bad JFK was playing us all for fools! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 12-13-2021 at 01:25 PM..
Old 12-13-2021, 01:34 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-13-2021, 02:11 PM
Banned

sips a $50 coffee in ur direction
Old 12-13-2021, 02:17 PM
Sarnak

pity reply
Last edited by Chloroform; 12-13-2021 at 02:20 PM..
Old 12-13-2021, 02:42 PM
Aviak

This thread confirms what I already knew. Loramin genuinely cares about this project enough to put himself out there, open to scrutiny. Also willing to admit when he is wrong. No respect lost.

GG, Loramin
Closed Thread