Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlerop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are there any real differences in terms of mitigating damage and agrobility?
Just wondering
not really
Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Kobold

I played a paladin for 400 days /played on live. But here I'm not going to do that again, they were pretty weak during the Kunark era.

To be honest, it really comes down to play style as both are great tanks. Do you want to pull dungeons with feign death or stay back with the group while the monk/SK pulls it? Do you want to be able to solo with fear kiting or is your only chance rooting and backup to heal, which isn't efficient. For duoing with a cleric there's nothing that you bring that the cleric can't do.

SK gear is a little more expensive than paladin gear comparing Deepwater to Blood Ember. As an SK you probably won't complete your epic whereas the Fiery Defender is easily doable.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phased [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But here I'm not going to do that again, they were pretty weak during the Kunark era. For duoing with a cleric there's nothing that you bring that the cleric can't do.
He has a VERY good point about the Cleric Paladin duo. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Shadow Knights not only get like the coolest Sky gear ( its also stupid common ) but they get super nice BP and earring as a epic side reward

Paladins get shit on in Skyplane ( 3 weapons WTF ) and we have no epic side rewards to use

Plus the SK epic > Paly epic in terms of utility....would rather have a DOT heal than a 155 damage/stun proc

HOWEVER, being that I have a lvl 60 paly....he is way more useful in every non-pulling non-solo situation than a SK and much more noble

the 300 hp heal from the DW BP is nothing to sneeze at nor is the free helmet heal
Old 11-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
According to the wiki, Paladins can obtain the same Defense skill as Warriors, SK's however only go up to 240 (unless this information is false).

I was under the impression that on some level your AC is dictated by your Defense and Agility stats, assuming the same AC/AGI gear do warriors and paladins not have the same AC? Maybe leaning towards the Paladin due to the shield?
Depending on the equipment, yes, Paladins can have higher AC, but AC is not the same as natural mitigation. Ever notice how some classes just get ripped apart in melee combat despite having really good armor or equipment that should keep them from getting shredded so quickly? That's mitigation. It's a hidden stat that determines how much damage from each attack gets through, and how much is shrugged off, or ignored. Warriors have the highest value of this invisible stat, more so than Paladins or SK's, and that is why they are the primary, secondary, and tertiary consideration for Raid tanking. Paladins and SK's make great off-tanks for their snap aggro, but no matter how good their equipment is, they simply cannot survive as long tanking a Raid boss as a Warrior can (they CAN do it, but it's more work on the heals and a bigger chance of wiping).

(also, Warriors have higher caps to Dodge, Parry, and Riposte, which further helps them avoid incoming damage)
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 11-03-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Old 11-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

The fuck kind of discussion is this. Warriors are god tier alpha males of tanking and pretty okay dps. More utility than a paladin with clickies. Sk is puller without void dance disc but with CoS. Good for monks who can't bother to get their rings recharged.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Sarnak

So if i may steal my own thread a little here, what 1hander would you chose for under 2k for a pally? Jade mace or go with something less ratio more procc?

Also have a question regarding flash of light. It seems its a big nono to cast when mobs are running towards me as they run mental all over the place, but will stand still while blinded in melee range. Is this correct? I also get a lot of interrupts when trying to peel mobs off casters if many are hitting me, but i guess thats just life :-)
Old 11-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlerop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So if i may steal my own thread a little here, what 1hander would you chose for under 2k for a pally? Jade mace or go with something less ratio more procc?

Also have a question regarding flash of light. It seems its a big nono to cast when mobs are running towards me as they run mental all over the place, but will stand still while blinded in melee range. Is this correct? I also get a lot of interrupts when trying to peel mobs off casters if many are hitting me, but i guess thats just life :-)
Sword of the Morning.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sword of the Morning.
The paladin hate on this server is so immensely amazingly idiot strong that I saw an SotM for 400p in EC over the weekend. If the Paladin 41% haste Sky belt was tradeable it'd probably sell for about the same as an FBSS. Mention the word paladin to a crowd of p99ers and the collective idiocy meter instantly pegs with a reading of OVER 9000!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
I also get a lot of interrupts when trying to peel mobs off casters if many are hitting me, but i guess thats just life :-)
That'll happen regularly until your channeling skill goes up significantly. Although you shouldn't be tanking too many things at a time since you should be root parking them anyhow.

As far as weapons go you want to use 2Handers unless you're going up against casters. People don't like paladins due to their low DPS (at least with SKs, they can use spells to increase theirs). So get yourself an Axe of Lost Souls and have at it.