Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Planar Protector

I have a Paladin and a Shadow Knight as the two classes I've played to high levels on P1999. The Shadow Knight is my current P1999 main character. I have a couple other, lower-level Paladin alts (it's my favorite class, historically). Here are my feelings on the matter:

I duo'd with a Cleric (my wife played one) most the time on my Paladin. It's a serviceable duo for low-mid levels but it sort of runs out of steam past about 50 as monster hit point pools and damage output begin to scale much more rapidly than your own damage output. I consider Paladins a bit more specialized than Shadow Knights. Paladins make probably the best tank for experience groups in the game due to having massive tanking control, excellent ability to shut down casting monsters, and useful defensive healing ability. Beyond that, however, they're not in high demand for raids and aren't a stellar solo or duo class. If you want to tank for experience groups as your primary job in Norrath, it's a fine class and you'll like the cheap cost of equipment. Most players prefer something either more versatile or more focused on the end-game, hence the Paladin's lack of popularity.

Shadow Knights don't have as many defensive tanking tools as Paladins, but still perform the job adequately and either class tanks more easily than Warriors do for typical groups. In exchange for less control while tanking, Shadow Knights come with generally better versatility and more quality of life utility. They solo better than Paladins, make generally better duo partners (particularly at higher levels), get around more easily, and typically won't die as often. A Shadow Knight/Cleric duo would have an easier time duo'ing than a Paladin/Cleric duo past about level 50 or so, though it's still not an ideal duo.

The Cleric part of either duo forms a fine backbone for building larger groups and for getting guild invites, but as a pure duo partner it isn't so optimal a choice as a Shaman would've been. You probably already know that but I figured I'd mention it all the same.

Comparing the two classes in terms of relative power at various levels, I'd say the Paladin is at its best at mid levels, particularly the 30's and 40's. The Shadow Knight seems to come into its own at very high levels, 50+ and especially 55+. I enjoy Paladins as alts from 10 through to into the 40's, but I wouldn't care to level another Shadow Knight...just feels too weak until 50+. At 60 I consider the Shadow Knight generally the better class for typical conditions on P1999, but getting to 60 is a very long road, the majority of hybrids don't make it, and the Paladin feels stronger for much of the leveling process.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 11-03-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Shadow Knight seems to come into its own at very high levels, 50+ and especially 55+. ... but I wouldn't care to level another Shadow Knight...just feels too weak until 50+.
Truth.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a Paladin and a Shadow Knight as the two classes I've played to high levels on P1999. The Shadow Knight is my current P1999 main character. I have a couple other, lower-level Paladin alts (it's my favorite class, historically). Here are my feelings on the matter:
Danth
Thanks for sharing your wisdom on the matter.
I know the duo is not ideal, but we will mostly be making groups or just duo until we can find more people or join an excisting group.

We are only lvl 10, so im using 1h a little longer. Was thinking about getting a ghoulbane and go nuts in befallen with the cleric undead dd line :-)

Thanks for suggestions on weapons. For now ive bought a Sword of morning and gonna go for the cheap but good 2hb as well. Other than that ive tried focusing on raw hp-sta-str in that order. Does that sound about right?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlerop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for sharing your wisdom on the matter.
I know the duo is not ideal, but we will mostly be making groups or just duo until we can find more people or join an excisting group.

We are only lvl 10, so im using 1h a little longer. Was thinking about getting a ghoulbane and go nuts in befallen with the cleric undead dd line :-)

Thanks for suggestions on weapons. For now ive bought a Sword of morning and gonna go for the cheap but good 2hb as well. Other than that ive tried focusing on raw hp-sta-str in that order. Does that sound about right?
By the time ghoulbane procs (L20) you'll do better in Unrest than Befallen, I'm thinking. Good luck and have fun!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By the time ghoulbane procs (L20) you'll do better in Unrest than Befallen, I'm thinking. Good luck and have fun!
Haha somehow i thought it was lvl10. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlerop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Other than that ive tried focusing on raw hp-sta-str in that order. Does that sound about right?
Focus on AC. It's by far the best bang for your buck. You want to be one of those paladins running around with as much Deepwater as possible.

HP is great for surviving pulls but until your cleric friend gets complete heal it won't make your duo any more efficient.

A decent 1hander or fast 2hander(nathsar) is good for now, but at level 20 when the damage cap goes away you'll want that baton or axe.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh yes, Ghoulbane. I I remember using that in Unrest at 40 back in the days of Luclin, to get vengeance on those Goddamn Festering Hags. Felt good.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 AM
Banned

Shadowknights can be ogres. I mean that should end this thread.

The ability to snare fear, dot, fd, hide, instant click invis. I mean prior to the invis pulling thread, who would not want to have fun pulling on an SK virtually god mode throughout any zone, no wonder so many people complained about that shit. Jealousy. Not only can we heal ourselves, but do detrimental damage while doing so is huge.

Shadowknights generate way more hate for agro. Our epic hits harder, looks cooler, better effect.
Our class choices are far superior, seeing how we can have immune frontal stun, more stamina, the ability to choose classes that can slam prior to using epic.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:22 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I'm gonna be a Paladin, it's gonna be a Dwarf. I like my barrel roll.
Sadly Female dwarves don't get barrel roll. But I guess the Beard and the huge knockers make up for it.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfertal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shadowknights can be ogres. I mean that should end this thread.

The ability to snare fear, dot, fd, hide, instant click invis. I mean prior to the invis pulling thread, who would not want to have fun pulling on an SK virtually god mode throughout any zone, no wonder so many people complained about that shit. Jealousy. Not only can we heal ourselves, but do detrimental damage while doing so is huge.

Shadowknights generate way more hate for agro. Our epic hits harder, looks cooler, better effect.
Our class choices are far superior, seeing how we can have immune frontal stun, more stamina, the ability to choose classes that can slam prior to using epic.
Who said Ogres were the top tier Godlike no comparison race to end all races?
Closed Thread