Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Neither knight is bad, both knight classes are good. I will agree with "monks being overpowered", but the only pieces of shit I see are the trolls from red they allow to run free shitting up threads here with unchecked abandon.
Didn't Monks get some sort of nerf in Velious? I think it had something to do with their mitigation, made them a lot squishier or something.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't Monks get some sort of nerf in Velious? I think it had something to do with their mitigation, made them a lot squishier or something.
Pretty sure that nerf came either in Luclin or the very very end of Velious, after the apex of their overpoweredness during Velious.

You can't have monks being the way they are, and still call knights 'good'. That's like saying riding a horse is a good way to go travel 100 miles quickly. Yea, you can go 100 miles on a horse.... but cars exist.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure that nerf came either in Luclin or the very very end of Velious, after the apex of their overpoweredness during Velious.

You can't have monks being the way they are, and still call knights 'good'. That's like saying riding a horse is a good way to go travel 100 miles quickly. Yea, you can go 100 miles on a horse.... but cars exist.
Being bad by comparison doesn't make them bad PERIOD.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Monks are generally better, but not everyone wants to be a Monk. Monks aren't so much better as to render the alternatives useless. For example, I'm hard-pressed to think of many things a Monk/Shaman can duo that a Shadow Knight/Shaman cannot. Also, while Monks reach the apex of their power during Velious, proportionally the knights probably gain more during Velious than Monks do--as such, the gap between them actually narrows a bit. Velious was a melee-centric expansion in general. Monks ultimately remain stronger, I won't dispute that, but again: Not everyone wants to be a Monk.

Danth
Old 11-05-2014, 02:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, while Monks reach the apex of their power during Velious, proportionally the knights probably gain more during Velious than Monks do
Paladins simply aren't good in Kunark, and while they get a little better in Velious but only because they're so bad now. You can grab one for a group when you need a tank, but you need one paladin for a raid and that's to cast Divine Strength. You cannot make a case for another one when almost any other class is available.

This thread is about paladin vs SK, both are okay. Play the one that fits your style if it's really something you want. But given the choice between hybrid and non-hybrid your choice should be obvious. Having played one for hundreds of days /played you couldn't pay me enough to play a paladin during Kunark/Velious, outside of exp groups it was awful.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:04 AM
Aviak

Monks actually had the highest overall damage reduction in the game until those nerfs came in right before Luclin, even higher than warriors, that's why they are so overpowered. The only reason they didn't raid tank was because a large part of it came from avoidance rather than mitigation, which would get them gibbed on a couple bad rolls in the short run.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phased [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladins simply aren't good in Kunark, and while they get a little better in Velious but only because they're so bad now. You can grab one for a group when you need a tank, but you need one paladin for a raid and that's to cast Divine Strength. You cannot make a case for another one when almost any other class is available.

This thread is about paladin vs SK, both are okay. Play the one that fits your style if it's really something you want. But given the choice between hybrid and non-hybrid your choice should be obvious. Having played one for hundreds of days /played you couldn't pay me enough to play a paladin during Kunark/Velious, outside of exp groups it was awful.
Hey now, Divine Favor is awesome for setting yourself up to eat the next DT in Sky. Who wouldn't want a pro raider ability like that? And no Rogue or Monk ever plowed enrage the way a Paladin with a Bixie Swordblade can plow enrage. Plus, with your flaming epeen in hand you do absolutely lovely pirouettes when that bash or stunproc catches you turning. As an added bonus you can out-dps Clerics, pure awesomeness there!
Old 11-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey now, Divine Favor is awesome for setting yourself up to eat the next DT in Sky. Who wouldn't want a pro raider ability like that? And no Rogue or Monk ever plowed enrage the way a Paladin with a Bixie Swordblade can plow enrage. Plus, with your flaming epeen in hand you do absolutely lovely pirouettes when that bash or stunproc catches you turning. As an added bonus you can out-dps Clerics, pure awesomeness there!
Haha and you can do it all in style because Half Elf paladins look pimpin. Robocop helm go!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Neither knight is bad, both knight classes are good. I will agree with "monks being overpowered", but the only pieces of shit I see are the trolls from red they allow to run free shitting up threads here with unchecked abandon.
You could easily argue that every class is "good", especially if you adjust all the metrics to their strengths. However in overall effectiveness and usefulness across the entire game (solo'ing, grouping, raiding, farming, pulling, tanking, xp penalties, etc.) it's quite easy to argue paladins the weakest class overall, to which I'd agree.

That said, the only thing I really dislike about the class is they get absolutely screwed on sky loot. 3 swords, 2 of which suck, none of which you'll use over your epic, and the weakest haste belt. So essentially they get 1 sky item. Compare it with any other class (including SKs) and it's as if they entirely forgot the class when they designed sky then just tacked the quests after.

/Duo'd with a paladiin 1-60, doubtful any other class combination would have been a better balance of effectiveness and fun, in part because it was so unusual in the p99 min/max'er world.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Banned

throwin' this thought out there - with an enchanter I prefer (of the two classes) my partner to be a paladin. They can get aggro without breaking mez's so I can pre-slow and stuff.. they can finish off merbs for me when we duo and they can heal themselves while I let the pets battle, they can stun when hasted pets break etc.. they are really great combo with enchanters!

With my Shaman I prefer the SK! They can get aggro by throwing on dots on root-rotting mobs, I can heal them so no need for them to use a click to keep them selves up, and they can snatch aggro off me when a root breaks early while standing in place by simply targeting and tossing a small dot on a merb.

I like the synergy of the 4 classes - who all have weird connections in power/abilities.

Sham/SK Vs. Pally/Enchanter would be a fun best of the best duo combat challenge! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread