Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 03:14 AM
Fire Giant

Default New twink, Pally or Ranger

With 500k, which class is more fun to play as twink?

My definition of fun twink = (1) Can do stuff others can't do at the same level (2) outperforms the group when leveling (3) don't need NToV stuff to be great after 55

Also, do I need a FT item for either of these classes?
Old 06-12-2020, 05:12 AM
Kobold

Go with ranger hands down. I twinked a ranger with roughly 50k and it was some of the best leveling experience I’ve had in eq. So I can only imagine what you can do with 500k.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:30 AM
Planar Protector

I feel like a lot of the stuff that makes a ranger a powerful solo experience for the last dozen levels wouldn’t be very easy to buy. The hate stone mq and even more the sky cloak loot rights.

I wouldn’t be willing to dump 100s of kpp into something that would take a lot of work on my part as well (being ready to get batphones onto birdhorse island as an eg).
Last edited by Jimjam; 06-12-2020 at 06:53 AM..
Old 06-12-2020, 06:47 AM
Kobold

Necro/ench/monk
Old 06-12-2020, 07:22 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like a lot of the stuff that makes a ranger a powerful solo experience for the last dozen levels wouldn’t be very easy to buy. The hate stone mq and even more the sky cloak loot rights.

I wouldn’t be willing to dump 100s of kpp into something that would take a lot of work on my part as well (being ready to get batphones onto birdhorse island as an eg).
This couldn’t be more wrong. If you have a fungi, 2 good weapons and a haste item you’ll solo just fine. Snare+panic animal and you’re soloing all day in outdoor zones. Don’t listen to anyone that says rangers can’t solo unless you have crazy gear to get. They’ve clearly never played a ranger
Old 06-12-2020, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This couldn’t be more wrong. If you have a fungi, 2 good weapons and a haste item you’ll solo just fine. Snare+panic animal and you’re soloing all day in outdoor zones. Don’t listen to anyone that says rangers can’t solo unless you have crazy gear to get. They’ve clearly never played a ranger
I didn’t say rangers can’t solo. I’ve levelled a ranger to 60 with plenty of soloing. I know from first hand experience that the cloak and primary epic are really rare, and I don’t think having a mountain of plat to buy them will do much to make them easier (and I’m fairly sure these are tools a 500k twink will want from level 46).

If you aren’t arguing in bad faith or misunderstanding then maybe you’ve misread the scope of the question? What you outline is a 50k twink, the OP is enquiring about a twink an order of magnitude greater than that.

To move the discussion forward we need to outline what can be got for each class with half a mil. A factor to consider is what level the OP plans to play to, and how much plat they are willing to hold in reserve /liquid investment to pay for the things that can only be acquired later on.

Likewise OP, do you have access to plat-free help on epics, etc?
Last edited by Jimjam; 06-12-2020 at 08:41 AM..
Old 06-12-2020, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

If you can line up an Earthcaller and dark cloak it would be a very class to play. Without those items and Zek blade/epic/fungi still fun just not as capable killing on-level blues.

I’d rather take a 100k pally, sk, warrior (Gnome) or monk over that budget with the ranger. 500k is a big deal difference tho, especially with 50% haste and a slow proc epic.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:19 AM
Kobold

That is true Jim. The free epic help is a big one unless you plan to pay close to 200k at this point for epics. I got my epics at 53 on my ranger and the slow /haste is amazing for soloing.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:30 AM
Fire Giant

Which cloak are you talking about? Dark Cloak of the Sky? It clicks to have 50% spell haste?

I guess my assumption is that I won't be able to get Earthcaller or Cloak if that's what you are asking. And will eventually will play to lvl 60, one day.

Does that mean I won't be enjoying ranger after 50 unless I get Earthcaller and cloak? Where as my gears would still be superb after 50 as a paladin?
Old 06-12-2020, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

I'm not an expert on Paladin, but surely with stuff like crown of narandi, eyepatch mq, belt of the great turtle, some haste, a fungi and a decent weapon will do you well?

I mean I suppose you could do a ranger without the clicky haste cloak or epics, but are you even really doing a ranger.
Closed Thread