Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Does delay/attack speed affect aggro retention?

Good Afternoon,

Noob question here, it has been some years since I read the Steel Warrior forums (years/decades) and I've forgotten the answer to this one. Does delay/attack speed affect aggro retention? If I have a 2hs with higher dps or two one handed weapons with less aggregate dps but they swing more frequently, should I go with the dual wield to get/keep aggro or is it neutral with respect to the slower 2hs?

Thanks -- sorry for the noob question
Old 06-21-2020, 03:59 PM
Planar Protector

There is a mainhand dmg bonus depending on level which factors into the DPS equation, basically excluding procs whichever weapon setup does the most potential DPS will hold aggro. If you give us your level and weapons in mind we can let you know which setup is best for aggro.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:30 PM
Fire Giant

More attacks = More hate (without procs) with favorable weopons, the proc effect outweighs whatever you may be doing dps wise (to a certain extent). Granted they keep changing all the proc formulas into a real bastard child. So who knows now, my knowledge of p99 mechanics is old.

Oh yeah 2 handers are dog shit aggro. Always will be on p99. (Unless they change that too)
Old 06-21-2020, 07:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More attacks = More hate (without procs) with favorable weopons, the proc effect outweighs whatever you may be doing dps wise (to a certain extent). Granted they keep changing all the proc formulas into a real bastard child. So who knows now, my knowledge of p99 mechanics is old.

Oh yeah 2 handers are dog shit aggro. Always will be on p99. (Unless they change that too)
Do not listen to this. White damage aggro will be better for whichever has a Better ratio calculating (mh+dmg bonus) + OH vs 2h+dmg bonus. A very good 2her will out aggro two decent 1hers etc. Really would need your lvl and weapons, someone around here has the exact formula.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

isn't this timeline related?

People aren't answering the question. They're telling OP about something unrelated to the question.

I could swear there was a change ?post? velious that caused 2h's to generate more agro than they did prior. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
Or was it the High Delay damage bonus? uhh, was that at the end of velious alongside hybrid buff?

Wallicker kind of touches on this subject...
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-21-2020 at 08:36 PM..
Old 06-21-2020, 09:58 PM
Kobold

When comparing two different weapon setups neither of which have a proc the one that does more dps will do more threat regardless of speeds involved.

There was an old myth back on eqlive that faster weapons were better threat than slower ones even when they did less dps (taking into account damage bonus and everything) but it was false.

For what it is worth reaver held aggro about as well as horn of hsagra / blade of carnage combo on a 30 war. Of course no actual testing was done and it was only my subjective experience so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:02 AM
Fire Giant

Higher dps will win out, but if someone spikes above you in hate briefly, you will have to wait longer before you swing again and regain aggro. Also if the mob bounces around the group, missed swings (out of range—not missed) will represent more lost hate than with faster weapons. It stands to reason, DPS being equal, faster is probably easier to maintain aggro with.

I don't know how crits/crips factor into things though. Do you get extra hate for crits? If not I could see a slow 2h technically doing more dps in a parse, but having worse hate properties.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:04 AM
Planar Protector

From what I recall from thesteelwarrior forum hate was 2dmg+damage bonus per swing regardless of if you hit, miss, crit,crip, or whatever. I came across this info post classic tho.
Last edited by Jimjam; 06-22-2020 at 06:08 AM..
Old 06-22-2020, 07:39 AM
Planar Protector

At low lvl it is going to depend on the actual weapon options you have available.

The combinations are numerous enough that you probably should just parse your own data and find out what has the highest white damage, and experiment with different combinations in different situations (high dps grp member, high mr mobs, etc.) for what you can consistently hold aggro with best.

In general, all other things being equal (procs, level, mob, etc.) the faster swings will probably be better to hold aggro...but it depends on the actual weapons.
Last edited by fastboy21; 06-22-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Old 06-22-2020, 03:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From what I recall from thesteelwarrior forum hate was 2dmg+damage bonus per swing regardless of if you hit, miss, crit,crip, or whatever. I came across this info post classic tho.
It is, none-the-less correct info. iirc the 2h threat malus is 30%, i.e. threat from 2handers is 0.7*(2*dmg+bonus).