Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Sarnak

Default Continue shaman or play bard?

I have an 18 shaman, but I rerolled a bard planning to take it to teal... level 5. I've decided at this point not to go to teal and just stay green and needing some help making a decision. I have experience playing a shaman but have never played a bard before.

-How much demand will there be for shamans in groups vs bards?(don't sugarcoat answer please) It seems like there are way more shamans and druids on this server than there are bards, and I always consider bards to be pretty useful.

-Does the lack of mana song on green hurt bards significantly?

-Are bards annoying to play at later levels?

Thanks in advance.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 11-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Kobold

Hard to say, the shaman would probably have a slightly easier time finding a group but that's mostly because people don't quite realize how subpar shamans are pre-Kunark.

Bards are in pretty good shape right now. It might be hard to find CC since less people are playing Enchanters due to some of the changes, and it can be hard to find a puller since a lot of those classes are unpopular atm (people waiting for Iksar to roll Monks, etc).

Of course the main drawback of bards is the exp penalty, and it'll be up to the group to decide if you're going to contribute enough to be worth that penalty. So the group will need to be in a pretty obvious need of a puller and/or CC.

People are a lot more likely to add a shaman "for the hell of it" since they'll only come with a 10-20% exp penalty depending on their race, and people feel safer with the extra buffs and heals. But honestly you just want a cleric in vanilla EQ.

Quote:
-Are bards annoying to play at later levels?
This is a super preference thing that no one can answer for you. Song twisting has always been annoying to me and I've never been able to get into it. However, shamans have a very similar thing going on at 60 once you get your spells, since you're always losing efficiency any time you're not casting something. Bard is pretty much always a super active class, but Shamans become just about as active at the high end.
Last edited by Khorza; 11-04-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 11-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Play what you find fun. Give the bard a real chance (20+). If you find one more fun then the other play it.

I'd suggest googling some footage and / or look up some vods on twitch of a person playing a bard and see if its something you'd enjoy. Its a much more active game style then Shaman if that's your question. (Pulling, cc, instrument swapping etc)
Old 11-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

Shaman level rather slowly in classic. Come kunark is when they pick up speed.

note that bard has a -40% exp penalty till 2001 jan patch.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

You'll die a lot on the bard if you choose to play one, song aggro is going to get you killed... but turn off songs on incoming and you can mitigate that somewhat <3
Old 11-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Sarnak

Bards are higher value end game and an active class if you are an active player.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Kobold

Hand breaking monotony is in store for those that wish to play a bard.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that's mostly because people don't quite realize how subpar shamans are pre-Kunark.
what a dreadfully misinformed thing to say and pass off as truth.

"... I don't think I remember him digging for this long..."

The A-Team

twitch.tv/crexxus
Old 11-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I played a bard up to 40 on Blue and I always just felt like a sub par enchanter; rerolled an enchanter and didn’t regret it one bit. Bards are good pullers, but it’s not like you’re ever going to get fade AA and monks have FD so I’d say bard pulling is niche at best. Shaman can solo and will always be a welcome addition to groups with their ability to haste and slow (the latter being almost necessary in Kunark+ when mobs start to hit really damn hard). Personally I’d go Shaman. Easier to level, no annoying song twisting (carpal tunnel anyone?), and great buffs/debuffs that are at least on par with bard songs, if not better (bard slow caps out at 35% and shaman is 70%).

Edit: Also I remember when I got mana song a lot of groups would want me to just stand next to the casters the whole time since the range is abysmal. Very exciting gameplay. On raids I remember seeing bards grouped with 5 clerics and then just standing their playing mana song the whole time. I think if you want to play bard you have to be very passionate about the class or it’s going to be very boring for you.
Last edited by Lordess; 11-04-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Old 11-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordess [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no annoying song twisting (carpal tunnel anyone?)
It is annoying with the twisting, but part of the charm <3
Closed Thread