Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 03:39 PM
Sarnak

The reality of being a warrior without fbss+high ratio weapons is that you'll sometimes struggle to hold reliable aggro, and no weapon setup (except maybe a mithril 2h) will change that.

You can use a few tricks and techniques to make the most of your limited toolset, however. Being the group's puller allows you to get a few swings in on a mob before bringing it back to your group, which generally ensures that you have aggro throughout a fight as long as your weapons have decent ratios - think polished steel Dirk, wakizashi, etc.

You should also be using taunt strategically. Whenever a party member lands a high aggro ability like root, taunt the mob so that you inherit the aggro from that spell. Always taunt mezzed mobs and switch early so that while your dps finishes off one mob, you're building aggro on another.

Whatever you do, don't listen to the people telling you to use ultra low ratio garbage like lariats... I speak from extensive experience when I say that high ratio is the only way to go for reliable aggro. If you really must have a proc weapon, obsidian flamberge has a passable ratio and a solid aggro proc. But honestly, you would do best to stick with the highest ratio non proc weapons you can find until you can afford ssoy.
Last edited by Soothsayer; 05-13-2020 at 03:51 PM..
Old 05-13-2020, 04:22 PM
Planar Protector

Are weapon proc rates independent of the warrior/other procing weapons?

Only tank i ever played was an SK who never had to worry about this shit, but what happens if I'm using an obsidian shard and it procs, and then I quickly swap that weapon out for another procing weapon like a yak. Is the proc rate per minute now reset because it's a new weapon?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

On the topic of PGT, rune effects are/were fairly strong threat. However, one of the recent patches had this change:

Quote:
Rogean: Adjusted Rune spell aggro to be more in line with direct healing spells.
I am unsure if that increased or decreased aggro from runes, but my guess is that it was a decrease. The PGT proc is a level 20 enchanter spell with a rune effect, so it was likely impacted by this change. Also, Axe of the Slayers proc, since this is a higher version of the same spell.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kicsh Der Pavz has been sold for around 2k, but it's a rare drop from a rare spawn. I camped it with some friends and it didn't drop. Also, I'm not sure how its aggro compares to Shards. More? Same? I think there's a chart out there somewhere.

Crookstinger is something you can use until you get dual shards.

Supposedly the Polished Granite Tomahawk's rune proc can generate aggro, but I can't confirm that myself.
Holy Dunedigger, Orcman! Ya'll are spawning crookstinger enough on green to suggest finding one of his stingers out there for purchase?
Old 05-20-2020, 01:16 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whatever you do, don't listen to the people telling you to use ultra low ratio garbage like lariats... I speak from extensive experience when I say that high ratio is the only way to go for reliable aggro. If you really must have a proc weapon, obsidian flamberge has a passable ratio and a solid aggro proc. But honestly, you would do best to stick with the highest ratio non proc weapons you can find until you can afford ssoy.
Great post here.

I highly recommend getting a shark tooth 5/18 and polished steel dirk 8/23 for your offhand and trying to tank with that. This is honestly the best set up I could get for my warrior under 1kp and has served me very well all the way up to 45. With the tooth/dirk set up you'll be contributing a lot of damage to your group and with the fast attack speed of the daggers each of your swings help build threat. Make sure you always have str and haste buff.

Still a good idea to have your obsidian shards handy when you're grouping with a rogue for example but in a lot of situations you don't need procs if you're smart with taunts and have decent ratio + most importantly fast attacking weapons. Help your group actually kill mobs and use better ratio weapons if you learn to do this you'll exp much faster.
Last edited by Strifen; 05-20-2020 at 01:18 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 01:58 AM
Kobold

Here was my green warrior weapon progression focused around high dps weapons.

Level 1-13 = polished steel dirk
Level 13-20 = x2 polished steel dirk
Level 20-30 = 2h weapon during this time. grab an executioners axe and have fun.
Level 30-45 = shark tooth mainhand with dirk offhand.

I would definitely have 2x obsidian shards on hand starting by mid 30's because depending on certain group compositions you might want the proc weapons. I would swap in the shards for named mobs for example. For a lot of groups if you play around it you really don't need the procs and can help the group kill faster focusing on your best ratio weps.
Last edited by Strifen; 05-20-2020 at 02:02 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 03:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strifen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here was my green warrior weapon progression focused around high dps weapons.

Level 1-13 = polished steel dirk
Level 13-20 = x2 polished steel dirk
Polished steel dirks are lore...
Old 05-20-2020, 03:17 AM
Kobold

Youre right my bad. You can just use the shark tooth in offhand for those few levels. Once you get some extra mainhand damage bonus in the 30's tooth 5/18 should eventually do comparable dmg of 8/23 in the mainhand. Between that and 2x obsidian shards when you need them I would just save up for SSOY. You can probably get 2 shards, psd, and a shark tooth for 1500p if you look around and you're gonna be set. As long as you don't mind being a warrior stabbing things.
Last edited by Strifen; 05-20-2020 at 03:21 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

If your money is limited -> 2 Obsidian Shards until SSoY.

The DPS difference between Shark Tooth/Polished Steel Dirk and 2x Obsidian Shards is 25% (31 dps vs 25 dps, by my crude calculation). For a 60 second fight, that's 360 extra dmg, which is not much at 50. I'm not 50 yet, so I can't parse this to prove it.

I agree that Gnoll Hide Lariat and Tentacle Whip DPS is such garbage that they're probably not worth it.

If you're grouping with a rogue or monk, your white dmg threat is not going to be enough. Sure, there are workarounds - root, asking rogue not to BS right off the bat, etc, etc...

In my experience, you want as much margin on the threat list as possible, so if you have to disengage to reposition the mobs or something, you can do that and they'll follow you, no matter what the bard or rogue decide to do. Or, maybe you need to tank 2 mobs at once. Happens, especially in PUGs. With a few procs on 1 mob, you have a shot of switching to another and taunting it off the healer.

To sum up, threat gen and aggro management are far more important than a DPS boost for a tank and 2x Obsidian Shards is the cheapest way to get there.

PS: even with 2x Obsidian Shard, it's still going to be dicey at times, depending on the group.
Last edited by treefiddey; 05-20-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Closed Thread