Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Banned

Default PvP server, let's look at possibilities *keep clean, no flaming, trolling, derailing*

Null has stated he has a free box with a good connection and possibly has the ability do do some dev work. With this knowledge there is already the hardware in place to get this ball rolling.

I would like to suggest making an older version of the p99 source available as open source, any copy pre-kunark would be legit and the PvP community can work on their own fixes with their own dev team using the out-dated P99 source as a backbone. Hopefully many of the changes made could be merged with the current p99 involving resist/ac fixes and it would be mutually beneficial to both:

P99 would get many hotfixes regarding player combat, resists, AC, and damage formula changes

Red99 would get a stable, classic-esque server for use to give the PvP population something more credible to play on.

In the end I don't see why P99 would have to devote time and staff to maintain a second server when the community already has the hardware, staff, and player base to support itself. Like I said this has potential for both servers if Nilbog allows older source versions to be readily available just like PEQ has done in the past.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Banned

so your suggestion is to the p99 staff to make there source open to the public?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so your suggestion is to the p99 staff to make there source open to the public?
Yeah any older source that is outdated and predates major content changes, those files exist and are doing nothing more than collecting dust and being used as reference. There would be no harm in releasing said source because it's not being used and would create another repack to go along with PEQ and ax_classic databases which are currently available for release.

The only stoplight to this idea would be the devs refusing to handover their work, but EQEMU in general has always been an open source project and anyone from the C+ devs to the actual players providing examples and /bug reports have contributed to making P99 happen, so I don't see why they can't release an older source to the public, if nothing more than creating a better more stable EQEMU community and possibly creating new revisions that can be pooled together from multiple projects.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Banned

Nilbog has previously stated that the P99 source is not publicly available.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawen Everywhere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nilbog has previously stated that the P99 source is not publicly available.
We know this, quit trying to drag this thread into a flame war on the first page. We are well aware Nilbog has stated in the past that the source at the time would not be publicly available but now that P99 has grown through several revisions and there are several stagnant copies lying around as backups I don't see what could hurt if people suggest the skeletal model be released simply to foster better quality servers.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 AM
VIP / Contributor

The main thing I am worried about is segmenting the existing pvp population that we have (which is relatively small) between two servers with similar goals. I would rather one single server with a large population even if it doesn't share my idea of what the server should be (or involves me at all). Rogean and I talked briefly a little earlier and he expressed interest in talking again once hes feeling better.

That being said I would be more than happy with the scenario you described.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab "The REAL truth" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We know this, quit trying to drag this thread into a flame war on the first page. We are well aware Nilbog has stated in the past that the source at the time would not be publicly available but now that P99 has grown through several revisions and there are several stagnant copies lying around as backups I don't see what could hurt if people suggest the skeletal model be released simply to foster better quality servers.
I have this dream where Keith Moon comes back from the dead and we go on this massive binge.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawen Everywhere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have this dream where Keith Moon comes back from the dead and we go on this massive binge.

3/10 on sarcasm

There is a difference between realistically impossible and situational improbability

Realistically impossible would be you playing Lich King to raise an army of undead rock stars to go party on Jupiter with...

Situational Improbability would be refusing to release source based on an opinion stated several months ago when the project was fairly new.

I mean when you first get a new car you're probably not going to let just anyone take it for a spin to the local CVS, but give it time, let the car get a little old, get some mileage on it, have a few tune-ups and I'm fairly certain someone wouldn't be as zealous about lending it out.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to naez Send a message via AIM to naez Send a message via MSN to naez Send a message via Yahoo to naez

I can dev in return for a Kringette "lite". Not but seriously I have lots of free time and want to annihilate asap. But seriously,... "lite".

Proof of skillz:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

get@me
Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab "The REAL truth" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3/10 on sarcasm

There is a difference between realistically impossible and situational improbability

Realistically impossible would be you playing Lich King to raise an army of undead rock stars to go party on Jupiter with...

Situational Improbability would be refusing to release source based on an opinion stated several months ago when the project was fairly new.

I mean when you first get a new car you're probably not going to let just anyone take it for a spin to the local CVS, but give it time, let the car get a little old, get some mileage on it, have a few tune-ups and I'm fairly certain someone wouldn't be as zealous about lending it out.
So you're saying that getting your rogue unbanned is only situationally improbable and that if you beg for another year maybe it will happen?

Nilbog said no to public source within the last couple weeks the last time someone had the same bright idea. Furthermore, you are possibly the worst choice for project coordinator I can imagine. Anything you do will only serve to hinder the project.

Rogean and Null are in contact. That seems like a very good and hopeful thing. It would be great to see Null join the P99 dev team and be the red dev.
Closed Thread