Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Green Bugs

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Default Only four pets should be able to attack a mob at once, throughout Green/Blue timeline

Originally posted here:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...10#post2968710

But seeing as that thread lacks focus, and we are looking at massive Magician premades and possible pet swarming Naggy/Vox kills, I feel the 4 pet limit deserves its own dedicated post on the Green bug forum.

Quote:
posted 05-02-2000 04:30 PM

hmm u dont seem to understand. look how quickly they were to nerf it. mages get one nice thing then some troll mag post and they nerfed it a few days later. and when we ask them to fix bugs like rouge pets and no more then 4 pets can attack one target do they fix that a few days later or a year later. grrr

http://web.archive.org/web/200005111...ML/037240.html
Quote:
(comment on Kunark beta spells list):

How many times have i been in the planes and dragon raids and was asked to kill my pet. The reason, only 4 pets can attack a monster at one time. Needless to say a shaman pet can't do anything compared to the other two classes.

http://web.archive.org/web/200006211...sp?SpellID=125
Quote:
posted June 12, 2001 05:12 AM

Verants code is such that a maximum of 4 pets can beat on the monster at one time anything beyond that doesnt work until one pet dies then the 5 th can go in.

http://web.archive.org/web/200107111...04338&go=newer
Quote:

posted 05-29-2000 04:45 AM

The max 4 pets aint that big of a problem on Dragon raids.
Pets will get Feared so usually only 4 can attack anyways
... and atleast on Nagafen raids pets are a little help and cost nothing to have up.
There probaly is a chance on Vox raids that pets get feared down in the traps .. but on all Dragon raids I been to, that havn't happend.
I guess on the new dragons Feared and Blinded pets could cause dumb trains.
But I can't really see why not bring pets to dragon raids. They will add extra dmg, and the will try to bash Vox to interupt her heal (Well .. that worked before they upgraded her Channeling).
So like the other poster said, if your guild ain't liking your pet, find an other guild.

http://web.archive.org/web/200101231...ML/000530.html

There's a whole topic here on alt.games.everquest about it from 2002, after Absor admitted the 4 pet limit in a post on the old EQ forums:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/al...ZAk/discussion

(NOTE: I would like to keep this thread's focus on the issue of the pet limit, not the more general NPC limit which is somewhat controversial and perhaps a much bigger change. A hard limit on 4 pets attacking one mob at a time is much easier to implement without breaking other things or introducing potential exploits, I would think.)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Aviak

oh wow, this is some pretty strong evidence. Looks like there wont be a 20 mage zerg killing naggy first on green
Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Kobold

Nice catch
Old 10-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Fire Giant

Jesus, that is insane. I definitely wasn’t aware at the time. I imagine this will not be a super easy fix code-wise.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:51 PM
Sarnak

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by uygi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jesus, that is insane. I definitely wasn’t aware at the time. I imagine this will not be a super easy fix code-wise.
yeah at least 5 lines of code...
Code:
for(iterator hate_list.begin(); iterator != hate_list.end(); iterator++)
    if(isPet(*iterator))
        pets_attacking++;
if (pets_attacking > 4)
     //you get the idea
Old 10-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

I vaguely remember when kiting mobs from live that 4 would attack and the rest would kind of hang back a bit, thinking this is similar (this is not an attempt at swaying the argument either way just stating a memory.)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I vaguely remember when kiting mobs from live that 4 would attack and the rest would kind of hang back a bit, thinking this is similar (this is not an attempt at swaying the argument either way just stating a memory.)
I am pretty sure NPCs obeyed this rule against PCs but that's a bit murky around the when's and the how's, whereas the pet limit is much more straightforward.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:27 PM
Kobold

I don't remember this at all, but this is HUGE. Great catch Dolalin!
Old 10-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Aviak

Betting this would be hard to code if they don't have it from the actual game code.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Betting this would be hard to code if they don't have it from the actual game code.
Why do you say that? seems trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Code:
for(iterator hate_list.begin(); iterator != hate_list.end(); iterator++)
    if(isPet(*iterator))
        pets_attacking++;
if (pets_attacking > 4)
     //you get the idea
Closed Thread