Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 02:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had so much fun with planetside 2
That game was amazing. It definitely wasn’t a flop, but I think it could have done so much better.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That game was amazing. It definitely wasn’t a flop, but I think it could have done so much better.
The most annoying thing for me is the customization. If I'm looking at a Terran or NC soldier I don't want to see them dressed in purple, or white, or anything that makes me have to think for an extra split second on whether someone just came into my field of view is friend or foe.

Also its still poorly optimized, my PC before my current one I installed PS2 first and it couldn't handle the game on high settings [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (it wasn't a mega Alienware machine but I had hopes for PS2 rendering etc okay).
Old 12-03-2020, 03:21 AM
Planar Protector

a bit surprised by 66k members, Must be TLP helped that number a lot. Offical UO pales in comparison.

Everquest live is making enough money to do expansion packs still. I don't think P99 is doing anything other than helping that number to be honest. I doubt a majority of the p99 players would even pay a subscription, so it's not like there is a huge loss with us playing p99.

In regards to planet side 2, it was a core gamer, game created at the end of the core gamer era. It also had too much grind for too little reward combined with micro transactions.
I enjoyed it in it's hay day but it will never recover.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 12-03-2020 at 03:24 AM..
Old 12-03-2020, 04:17 AM
Planar Protector

Waiting for them to pick up Earth and Beyond and bring that back. The emu scene on Net-7 still has a handful of players. Hit me up for a jumpstart (rez) or wormhole (port)! Yes, Explorers (clerics) can port - woo!

-Mcoy
Last edited by mcoy; 12-03-2020 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: added EQ terms in parentheses
Old 12-04-2020, 12:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaldaben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...so I wonder what their definition of active means...
The info graphic says "As of September 2020. Members defined as customers who have purchased a monthly membership."
Old 12-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Kobold

No mention of Vanguard which is interesting. I didn't know Daybreak owned LotR Online or DND though. Or is that the new owners' stuff they already had?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Funny to anyone else how EQ revamped character models a couple years in then left them as shitty as they are for decades
Old 12-04-2020, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Funny to anyone else how EQ revamped character models a couple years in then left them as shitty as they are for decades
Probably got gunshy due to the outcry associated with the first revamp, then by the time they might've be willing to do it again there's no funding for it. The great mistake was, I think, changing the style and scale of the models the way they did instead of simply improving the polygon counts and texture quality. Didn't even look like the same game.

With respect to Vanguard, were other long-defunct titles mentioned?

Danth
Old 12-04-2020, 03:38 PM
Banned

They did revamp them twice right? I seem to remember a second set of new models some years after luclin, when that expansion came out that let you play as some dragon hybrid race.

But yeah, the art direction on the original models was perfect, higher poly updates with higher res textures would have been great

Actually I think I'm misremembering. I don't think they made a second set of new models, but they did make a new model for the new dragon race. I think I'm just thinking of that.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/gal...-0831-tss8.jpg

Not as bad as the luclin models but still kinda meh. Totally out of whack with the original art style
Last edited by douglas1999; 12-04-2020 at 03:48 PM..
Old 12-04-2020, 09:36 PM
Planar Protector

It might be a forgotten point in the timeline but it was a period of much outrage.

SOE decided at some point before GoD I'm fairly sure that they weren't happy with the Luclin model running animation...characters were running bolt upright etc and not leaning into a running stride.

So they changed it for about about a week? Characters would now run in a more realistic way... except everyone hated it, passionately. The forums blew up and they decided to go back to the original stiff/upright run on all characters.

People just don't like change [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread