Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 11:57 PM
Aviak

Default If EQ3 Hypothetically were in development, what would you suggest?

Hey all. I have a strong inclination that EQ3 is being developed. That being said, give your suggestions. I will personally deliver them to DarkPaw HQ, I live in San Diego 30 minutes away.

My thoughts:

Adventure System:

There is grinding, dungeon crawling, and raids in EQ. What about a new system? What if going outside to travel for quest, there was a RNG random chance for encounters. You could add this as an alternative, which I call adventuring. Wouldn't it make a quest more fun to have several organic experiences like orcs attacking or a dragon coming down to stop you? You could even have RNG zones, like a lost city of gold in a forgotten swamp that appears really rarely and makes you rich. You get the idea. You can turn it off or on depending on how you feel, with RNG bosses, zones, quests etc appearing as you travel.

Art Style:

Why not just copy the art style from the EQ box cover? That's what we all envision as we play no? Why not just render an oil painted EQ for the models etc. Realistic high fantasy that Keith Parkinson (he made the cover) would approve of, done in an oil painted style. This hasn't been done before and would looks freaking awesome.

Post your ideas, will compile them and send them off [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-29-2020, 12:26 AM
Planar Protector

Basically, a game like cyberpunk 2077 as an EverQuest MMORPG, and a borderlands style loot system.

Open world rpg system, expand from 14 classes to maybe 20? More hybrids, new types of melee/casters. Perhaps even customizable classes. character appearance and ability customization, (so that not every cleric has the same spell set as every other cleric etc)

Borderlands style loot system: item drop stats are RNG generated with small chances for specialty (epic, legendary) item drops.

Choice based quests. The quest, and the rewards will change depending on how you do the quest. Adding in some randomization mechanics so that the quest will rarely provide the exact same reward.

These things will prevent the construction of a "wiki" thusly, the player will have to play the game in order to learn it, and 20 years later, will still be unsure of how things are going to go.

Mobs will have more variance in their difficulty. example, one froglok zol knight would be easy, the next, same level froglok zol knight will fuck you up due to some sort of lore or other reason we can pull out of our ass just to make things unpredictable.

Zones (various areas, its an open world) should change, as a busy city changes from day to day. Merchants come and go, sometimes you will have to go to another place to find that merchant. Buildings are destroyed and constructed, the player would have to investigate to find out what the new building is for, chances are the new inhabitants will be unwelcoming to that player. Crime mechanics would be cool. You're standing at freeport gate and then some npc comes alot and mugs you, or kills you and takes stuff. Maybe your bank gets robbed from time to time, or you have to work in-game to prevent being the victim of a crime.

Bosses split into multiple categories, even for the same boss, as well as unpredictable loot tables.

Casual bosses would be relatively easy, with mid to higher tier RNG loots. mostly just Good ol tank and spanks.

Hardcore bosses would be absolutely unpredictable, different every time they spawn, and nearly impossible to kill without a perfectly disciplined kill force, dropping godly tier loots

Basically this game would be impossible to memorize, min-max or poopsock. There are ENDLESS things to do in game, but you will never, ever know exactly how it turns out.

Where do i send the bill for my consultation services?
Last edited by Trexller; 11-29-2020 at 12:31 AM..
Old 11-29-2020, 12:31 AM
Planar Protector

OP... is it possible that you work for darkpaw and you have come to P99 to crowdsource information, trying to understand what made EQ so good in the first place?

since nobody at sony, deybreak, darkpaw etc understands it or even remembers, and cannot find original game code?

Being the most successful emulator server (by a wide margain) it would be smart for the "hypothetical" developer of EQ3 to ask people like us how to make a good MMO.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:39 AM
Aviak

Default Little birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP... is it possible that you work for darkpaw and you have come to P99 to crowdsource information, trying to understand what made EQ so good in the first place?

since nobody at sony, deybreak, darkpaw etc understands it or even remembers, and cannot find original game code?

Being the most successful emulator server (by a wide margain) it would be smart for the "hypothetical" developer of EQ3 to ask people like us how to make a good MMO.
I can't tell you the complete truth, but I will confirm I am NOT a dev or even employed by DarkPaw, but I am a huge fan and someone in the know told me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-29-2020, 12:40 AM
Planar Protector

haha your "friend" (darkpaw devs) seriously got you to crowdsource information from the best EQ experts on the internet.

this just happened.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:06 AM
Banned

1. What kind of UI and player perspective are they going for, modern or classic?

-FPS standard with a world view built for that and not over-the-shoulder. You can manipulate the camera like in EQ, there are different angles like classic.

-Elder Scrolls game all sleek and minimal or something more CRPG with a UI to fit like classic EQ had.

2. What kind of music? MIDI 2.0 just released on the market, are they going to do another midi score or something more modern.

3. What kind of game world. Large and open like classic EQ or some instanced solo adventure labeled as MMORPG?

4. What kind of game play. Classic like EQ or some High Speed DAOC-like style.

5. What kind of game engine. Build your own like classic EQ had or use a pre-made?

6. What kind of art style. When I see screen shots of the new game will I instantly know "That is EQ" or will I get it confused with every other RPG type game on the market?

7. What kind of price. Is this a base purchase and a month fee like classic or is this a Free To Play/ Freemium / Pay-To-Win type of setup made to appeal to younger players? (I will take you serious or not depending on this)

8. What kind of market. Will this product be aimed a young or 30-something players? (I am looking for that experience once again)

Edit: People hope that Pantheon will be the next EQ because of the Brad connection, when I watch streams of it all I see is DAOC with WoW & EQ influences. When I watch a stream of your game will I think that?

*If your game has a mini map, a quest journal or marker, fast travel that doesn't involve a Wizard or Druid.. then I have to ask what you are trying to do before you start.

*Location of developer team. USA or somewhere else?

----------------------

I have more questions than suggestions. But seeing things like Cyberpunk, no offense it's your opinion, but things like that already exist and will be multiplatform. They tried minecraft and some Lion-O parkour game before.. please stop. I am looking for a computer crpg elf world simulator that is mmo, that doesn't look like a cartoonish Blizzard shooter or have survival-building-crafting mechanics.
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-29-2020 at 01:30 AM..
Old 11-29-2020, 01:31 AM
Aviak

Default Know asmuch as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. What kind of UI and player perspective are they going for, modern or classic?

-FPS standard with a world view built for that and not over-the-shoulder. You can manipulate the camera like in EQ, there are different angles like classic.

-Elder Scrolls game all sleek and minimal or something more CRPG with a UI to fit like classic EQ had.

2. What kind of music? MIDI 2.0 just released on the market, are they going to do another midi score or something more modern.

3. What kind of game world. Large and open like classic EQ or some instanced solo adventure labeled as MMORPG?

4. What kind of game play. Classic like EQ or some High Speed DAOC-like style.

5. What kind of game engine. Build your own like classic EQ had or use a pre-made?

6. What kind of art style. When I see screen shots of the new game will I instantly know "That is EQ" or will I get it confused with every other RPG type game on the market?

7. What kind of price. Is this a base purchase and a month fee like classic or is this a Free To Play/ Freemium / Pay-To-Win type of setup made to appeal to younger players? (I will take you serious or not depending on this)

8. What kind of market. Will this product be aimed a young or 30-something players? (I am looking for that experience once again)

Edit: People hope that Pantheon will be the next EQ because of the Brad connection, when I watch streams of it all I see is DAOC with WoW & EQ influences. When I watch a stream of your game will I think that?

*If your game has a mini map, a quest journal or marker, fast travel that doesn't involve a Wizard or Druid.. then I have to ask what you are trying to do before you start.

*Location of developer team. USA or somewhere else?

----------------------

I have more questions than suggestions. But seeing things like Cyberpunk, no offense it's your opinion, but things like that already exist and will be multiplatform. They tried minecraft and some Lion-O parkour game before.. please stop. I am looking for a computer crpg elf world simulator that is mmo, that doesn't look like a cartoonish Blizzard shooter or have survival-building-crafting mechanics.
No idea on any of that. All I know is the game is confirmed in development from someone in the know. This is not a joke and I wanted to get feedback and use my San Diego proximity to get info to the devs so we can get them early to do good things.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No idea on any of that. All I know is the game is confirmed in development from someone in the know. This is not a joke and I wanted to get feedback and use my San Diego proximity to get info to the devs so we can get them early to do good things.
Ah, also would like to know if the game is setup for KB&M or is this a multiplat controller deal. That would be an absolute deal breaker for me.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But seeing things like Cyberpunk, no offense it's your opinion
only in the sense that the game should be open world, highly dynamic and vastly immersive.

could be any sort of open world game. and i had just watched the 2077 trailer.

but yeah if it feels like a game we already know, thats not good.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but yeah if it feels like a game we already know, thats not good.
I am looking for classic EQ.
Closed Thread