Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 01:33 PM
Sarnak

Default Magician Greater Focus Item Clarification

Just wanted to verify something on the wiki, and change it if it's wrong:

For the Staves, it says that there is an increase in HP in addition to having +1 level. Are we sure that it's not an increase in HP because of the +1 level?
Old 07-09-2020, 08:49 AM
Fire Giant

I suppose that is a bit of symantics. In Everquest, it is generally accepted that a level increase, results in a HP increase, atleast in the case of player characters.

Likewise, in almost all cases I can think of, a higher level NPC is going to have more HP than the same NPC that is lower level.

I don't think there's any definitive way to prove that the increase in HP is directly correlated with the increase in level. We can assume as much, but without the person who created the item telling us, we shall never really know.

I think the way it's worded is adequate. That description fits what we know...

1.) It is +1 level higher
2.) It has more HP

That said, if anyone was willing to do detailed testing to see precisely how many more HP each tier of the staff increases HP by...that would be interesting to know.
Last edited by Bristlebaner; 07-09-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Old 07-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlebaner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I suppose that is a bit of symantics. In Everquest, it is generally accepted that a level increase, results in a HP increase, atleast in the case of player characters.

Likewise, in almost all cases I can think of, a higher level NPC is going to have more HP than the same NPC that is lower level.

I don't think there's any definitive way to prove that the increase in HP is directly correlated with the increase in level. We can assume as much, but without the person who created the item telling us, we shall never really know.

I think the way it's worded is adequate. That description fits what we know...

1.) It is +1 level higher
2.) It has more HP

That said, if anyone was willing to do detailed testing to see precisely how many more HP each tier of the staff increases HP by...that would be interesting to know.
Yep, this should be theoretically testable. Summon a pet that you can tell is level x or y. This can be done via /con or viewing how much damage they do. See how much damage the level x pet can take vs the level y pet. Then, summon a level x pet with greater focus, and see if the level x pet with focus can take more damage than the unfocused y pet. To be clear, the level x pet is the one that is one level below the y pet.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, this should be theoretically testable. Summon a pet that you can tell is level x or y. This can be done via /con or viewing how much damage they do. See how much damage the level x pet can take vs the level y pet. Then, summon a level x pet with greater focus, and see if the level x pet with focus can take more damage than the unfocused y pet. To be clear, the level x pet is the one that is one level below the y pet.
Exactly. I was hoping someone had actually done this already, but if I have to do it, it may be a while... still only level 40 here :P
Old 07-14-2020, 11:06 PM
Fire Giant

I'm pretty sure the focus items increase HP and the level, which increases HP as well. The regular focus items increase HP by 25%, and from my personal experience (without parsing) using a staff focused water pet is that the HP is very high, as high or higher than the earth pet without the focus. Not sure the +1 lvl accounts for that.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Closed Thread