Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 07:48 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Ever quest virgin

Hello everyone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm a 35 years old man who lives in France and what some might call an "oldschool" player [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Recently, I started finding interest in mmos again and I said to myself I would like to try the famous Everquest in its original form. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never played any version of this game before, but I've heard about it and about Project 99 a lot.

However, I would like to start with the "vanilla" experience if possible, and I understood that a new vanilla server was launched here two years ago.

I wonder : will there be another "vanilla" launch on Project 99 in the future ?

Have a good day everyone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-18-2021, 01:05 PM
Aviak

Likely when green and blue server merge and they open up a new server. If this occurs, it will likely happen mid to late 2022 or 2023.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:51 PM
Orc

Welcome! Bobjenson pretty much said it. The Green server will eventually 'recycle' and start fresh according the developers. It is currently nearing the end of the project's timeline so if you want a really fresh start you'll have to wait a year or two for the next server.

EQ's a great game with a lot of good people in its community. EQ virginity is a special thing. Once it's lost you can never get it back, but it's sure fun to lose. Jump right in and have some fun when you're ready and play at your own pace.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:17 AM
Kobold

You can start by playing on the Green server and stick to the original continents to get close to a vanilla feel. Don't choose an Iksar character yet as that's from an expansion and avoid the East Commonlands tunnel trading to avoid seeing the new items available from expansions or look up items with the wiki to see which zone it drops from and avoid items dropping in Kunark or Velious zones.

There will be the odd low level spell available now that wouldn't be here if it was a fresh start but you can pretty much recreate vanilla now if you want to. You really are just missing the crowds and easy grouping of low level characters on a fresh start and the opportunity to pick up some nerfed items that get taken out 6 months into a new server.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:48 PM
Sarnak

Hi mate!

Its near impossible to recapture that original feeling, as all the tricks and secrets are exposed but these servers are a whole lot of fun. If you are looking for some support or have any questions feel free to reach out to me or my guild on the Blue server (Europa, full of euros from all over including French!)

We're also planning an alt levelling session next month so there will be plenty of grouping and support available if you want to join in!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can start by playing on the Green server and stick to the original continents to get close to a vanilla feel. Don't choose an Iksar character yet as that's from an expansion and avoid the East Commonlands tunnel trading to avoid seeing the new items available from expansions or look up items with the wiki to see which zone it drops from and avoid items dropping in Kunark or Velious zones.

There will be the odd low level spell available now that wouldn't be here if it was a fresh start but you can pretty much recreate vanilla now if you want to. You really are just missing the crowds and easy grouping of low level characters on a fresh start and the opportunity to pick up some nerfed items that get taken out 6 months into a new server.
EC tunnel trading is a huge component of EQ, though. You can't just skip it.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:29 PM
Planar Protector

Everquest is a brutally outdated game. It's very frustrating to learn the clunky controls and UI, and the first 20 levels are mind-numbing on every single class. if you can fight through all the bull shit its a very fun experience, but w/o nostalgia I fear it might overwhelm you - be strong son of norrath
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 09-23-2021, 05:54 AM
Large Bat

Don't worry about P99 green being pure vanilla, it's close enough to recapture the feel of original EQ. Be aware that it can be a very frustrating game though, and you will have many, many deaths along the way as you learn. Also, there are LOADS of items to chase - many of which are tied to quests that take a long, long time to complete. You will feel a great sense of accomplishment as you complete those quests, as you grow in levels and as you learn the many tricks of the game. And of course, you will meet many interesting people and make some new friends (I mean, even I have several friends in EQ and I'm barely sociable).

Be warned that EQ can be very addicting and many people back in the day jeopardized or even lost their jobs and relationships due to this addiction. That's no joke!!

That said, EQ is still the best game ever made IMO. Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2021, 05:57 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thank you for your responses everybody.

I will see if I try the current green server or if I wait a little for a potentiel new server.
Closed Thread