Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why is it a waste? Because you will lose all your elf sim progress?

So many people in MMOs love to make it all about progress & accomplishments like in real life. People forget it's still a game. If rolling a new race will make your experience more enjoyable, then do it.

Is torpor awesome at 60? Sure it is. But regen is also something there 100% of the time before that, and during that. Literally thousands of extra hp for doing nothing other than playing a certain race. Many people don't get to 60, or if they do, can't afford torpor, and then after that, may just decide to roll another char.

There are plenty of people out there who also have multiple races of the same class. Not that big of a deal.

Whoa now, I just mentioned it because it is a time commitment that the OP might not want to go through again as a casual player. It's ultimately up to him how much he cares. Never compared this to real life accomplishments.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why is it a waste? Because you will lose all your elf sim progress?
Ummm ... the OP literally asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Given the above, do you think it’s worth it to re-roll Troll? Will the extra regen make a big difference? I appreciate any input!
In other words, the OP himself asked the forum whether he should keep all of his "elf sim progress." People responded by explaining that the extra regen will not make anywhere close to as much difference as levels ... ie. that losing all those levels would be a waste.

There's nothing wrong with people answering the OP's question.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:02 PM
Planar Protector

There is always a compelling reason to do more grinding. I would never say it’s a “waste of time” because that’s the main reason most of us are on P99.

That said, the reasons in order of importance I might consider such an extensive restart (and grinding the first 34 levels as a shaman which SUCK) are...

1. Preferred fashionquesting
2. Symbol quests
3. Boredom
4. Any racial perks

Really it’s only #4 because I ran out of reasons. It’s wayyy down the list though. My troll is 54 and constantly I kick myself for not going barb. Outdoor shrinking problems, happy faction, a cheap cool procing 2hb, 20% xp surcharge not being there, white polar bear (which id have by now without the penalty). Etc

I’ll never get the epic, prob not lvl 60, and torpor is a big ask. Plenty of alts to play and plat to burn. I still think a casually geared mid 50’s Sham is a beast of a class. In fact, I don’t think any race is going to give much of a benefit or restriction, it’s just that good. If your ability to kill something comes down to racial regen you bit off way too much to chew...
Old 03-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
20% xp surcharge not being there
Troll penalty is 20%. Barbarian has a 10% penalty. I know the wiki says 5% for Barbarian, but it's 10%. This is readily confirmed in-game by watching a Human character level in a duo next to a Barbarian (the wife and I have done this on alts)--the Human hits his level when the Barbarian has 10% to go, like clockwork.

Danth
Old 03-24-2019, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troll penalty is 20%. Barbarian has a 10% penalty. I know the wiki says 5% for Barbarian, but it's 10%. This is readily confirmed in-game by watching a Human character level in a duo next to a Barbarian (the wife and I have done this on alts)--the Human hits his level when the Barbarian has 10% to go, like clockwork.

Danth
Oh snap. Good to know [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Danth
I went to make this change in the wiki (and for the record, wikis have edit buttons, so anyone can change them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]) but then I wasn't sure if it was correct, because it just seems odd that Barbarians (with no real racial powers, just faction and night blindness) have a 10% penalty while Trolls/Iksar (with regen) only have 20%. While I totally believe Danth, I just wanted to double-check that P99 itself was correct, so I tried to do some classic research.

I thought that since this was a basic fact of EverQuest that it would be easy. I set Google to only show sites from 1999-2001, started doing some searches, and ... after 30-60 minutes of digging (I got so desperate I even read the old Prima Guide ... for the record it doesn't mention XP penalties) the best evidence I had found was this gem on the old Caster's Realm ...

Quote:
Q: Can anyone give an example of XP penalty? How much longer would it take to reach 10th level, killing the same mobs with a Barbarian vs Troll Shaman? Thanks
A: Well seeing as they both pay the same large race penalty. It would take the same amount of time.
... which made me realize that I am no Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So, I know the devs have almost certainly got it right in-game, and the wiki is almost certainly wrong, but just to ease my mind does anyone out there happen to have a classic source?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(I got so desperate I even read the old Prima Guide ... for the record it doesn't mention XP penalties)
Lol, I just spent 10 minutes digging mine out before I finished reading.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Can confirm, not a word about xp pens lol.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Can't help with this one. I saw the Barbarian penalty as-implemented on P99 but your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not the existing value's correct for the era.

Danth
Old 03-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Aviak

Reroll ogre before you invest 200k + into epic torpor etc , you end up being useless in solo/duo artists moment where you can farm fat lets at 50% win rate , I had barb on live , but on p99 , it all about min/max , others shm just can't compare to wut my oggy shm solo/tank or stats without having the best gear ... Troll iksar is just raid shm that die on the first stun they get
Old 03-25-2019, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reroll ogre before you invest 200k + into epic torpor etc , you end up being useless in solo/duo artists moment where you can farm fat lets at 50% win rate , I had barb on live , but on p99 , it all about min/max , others shm just can't compare to wut my oggy shm solo/tank or stats without having the best gear ... Troll iksar is just raid shm that die on the first stun they get
Please. FSI isn't half as good as you're making it out to be. Which isn't to say it's bad: it's definitely the best end-game Shaman racial power. But it does not make the difference in solo/duo artist moments; the server's top solo artist shaman was a Barbarian!

Closed Thread