Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 01:40 PM
Banned

Smile What are some good paladin armor for half elf that can last me to mid level?

My paladin's armor is extremely bad and I have little to no p right now but i am willing to grind for it to find better armor.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

Crusty is great if you aren't lulling much. Giant Scalemail is heavy but has some nice stats (wis & hps). Banded is ok.

I mashed up a set of Black Ice Legs/arms, Enameled Black Chestplate, and some cheap DW pieces for the ac. Could also go with a Treeweave BP or Chestplate of the Dark Flame for the extra +str.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

Faydark ring mail!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:13 AM
Planar Protector

Crusty if you dont have a lot to spend.

Also, the Temple of Ro pally quest armor isn't terrible if you wanna get that classic experience.

Or just mix and match what you can afford as Snaggles said.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Could loot rotting guardian armor in Skyshrine
Old 05-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Banned

wouldnt that be a little hard. My Paladin is about lv 20.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My Paladin is about lv 20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My paladin's armor is extremely bad
Banded, Bronze, etc would be level-appropriate and can be bought (or made, in the case of smithed items) for a pittance. In order to be genuinely bad for that level you'd have to be running around in rawhide or some such.

P99's an old server and most low-level characters these days receive hand-me-down gear funded from higher-level characters. It's easy to feel inadequate as a newer player, but don't get caught in the trap of thinking you must have out-of-era equipment to do your job--you don't.

Danth
Old 05-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

The guardian/sentient no-drop pieces are nice but unless you have friends grinding like mad it’s pretty hard to get. The mobs I tried to kill with my mid 40’s enchanter all but laughed off a hasted pet while slowed. The hp regen is crazy.

There are just great items that are almost free. Baton of faith or sword of the skyfire (100 each). Sword of the Morning (about 350). DW helm (about 500). Silver Chitin Hand Wraps (about 1.1k). 5/55 rings like 400 a pair?

After that stuff, as mentioned by others, banded would take you to 50. At 20 life is tough but once stuff drops bronze and fine steel it’s good vendor cash. I just don’t think you need to spend over about 100p/slot for gear that’s 90% as good as other stuff costing 10x+. You get aggro with level 9/30 spells and solo you are able to outlast low blues with the DW helm regardless of your dps.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:31 AM
Planar Protector

At level 20 just wear the raw-hide/ringmail/bronze you find. The most important stat for tanking is AC as it will reduce hits from being close to max to around a third of that. At your level heals are flat +hp, so by doing this you are tripling the effectiveness of your healers mana.

Fortuitously it is also trivial to reach sufficient worn AC to reach the point of diminishing returns against group XP content (which is why the armour you loot at this level is more than ample). If you are XPing somewhere that armour your size doesn't drop, or you find yourself often encumbered, then spend 100pp on a set of banded. This will last you until you join a high level guild and you can start to pull some very good armour out of velious for very little cost.

Apart from this grab yourself a weapon with 1:2 ratio. Pay 40pp tops; a skyfire sword or green jade broadsword is sufficient. You'll then want to save for either silver chitin hand wraps (or other 20%+ haste) and some platinum/velium Fire wedding rings. That little bit of extra hp provides a good buffer at mid levels for those 'oh crickey!' moments.

Don't waste time farming plat; the power boost you receive from the time spent increasing your level is much greater than the return you'd get for improving your gear.

TLDR; 1:2 weapon (40pp), banded (100pp), hp rings (500-1kpp), 20% haste (1-2kpp). Don't farm cash, just spend what you accumulate incidentally on these items. Level 46+ planar/quest gear, loot drops from XP content, velious faction stuff.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's easy to feel inadequate as a newer player, but don't get caught in the trap of thinking you must have out-of-era equipment to do your job--you don't.
Closed Thread