Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Sarnak

Pallys heal more efficiently and are good in a pinch.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, Greater Healing isn't exactly going to be all that good at 57 so I don't see a Ranger doing any backup healing, but Rangers do at least get Chloroplast as well, so I'll definitely mix that into the rotation to help ease the healers burden, or at least a little more self sufficiency.

I was going to ask that, while they still can't compete with Druids and Shamans, I would think that Paladins still make decent secondary healers just because of the fact that they eventually get the spell Superior Healing?
Heh, a paladin at 59 has more efficient healing than a druid or non torpor shaman. Longer recast though, but assuming it doesn’t need to be casted more than every 30 sec it’s better than nature’s touch and superior heal/chloroblast. Pallies dps still sucks, but velious made them fantastic healers for a melee class.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heh, a paladin at 59 has more efficient healing than a druid or non torpor shaman. Longer recast though, but assuming it doesn’t need to be casted more than every 30 sec it’s better than nature’s touch and superior heal/chloroblast. Pallies dps still sucks, but velious made them fantastic healers for a melee class.
Why? Celestial Cleansing? Or just having Superior Heal as an option?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

I started a ranger years ago for the fun of starting with a bit of a handicap. It really is the underdog class.

Mine is only 56 and with a woodsman, fungi, and CotCW is quite frail. Still being able to melee, bow, ensnare, root, track and SoW yourself is almost game-breaking so being a paper bag really does make sense.

People fixate on dps. Yes a rogue or monk is better if a parser is the only tool for determining success. Still, a ranger will bring everyone's attack power up. If you dont have a druid or mage they will add some DS damage as well.

If you are of the mindset that DPS > All in grind groups then don't even get a melee. Fill your group with 3 charmed pets...they do more damage and won't even brag about their backstab numbers.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct. It’s basically celestial healing with a longer recast time.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Both.

Even without spec alteration Cleansing is super efficient. If the druid is 60 the extra 9 mana a tick you could make the case that druids over time heal the same total amount. The benefit of group regen should also not be discounted and total healing over time the druid will win out. But paladins have a lot more healing throughput. HoT is fast cast and you can twist in HoT and superior heals for some pretty impressive healing numbers when damage is coming in hard.

I find main healing on my 60 druid and 60 paladin for stuff like seb groups equally easy. Druid is probably a bit more comfortable with deeper mana pool and the extra mana regen, alteration spec, and with group regrowth but Paladins are shockingly GOOD at healing. Paladins can burst heal harder than druids and heal over time is more efficient. Extra mana regen for the druid, spec alteration, and group regen more than closes the gap though.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 06-05-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

To answer the OPs question of whether rangers are hated in velious though ...

Yes and no?

Rangers are a powerful class but ...

A) If a group is looking for a tank they will always pick a war/pal/sk over you. These classes simply do it the best and a *good* warrior won’t suffer much from aggro. On my warrior I want an instant slow on all but the most extreme content and in those situations the group will know. You won’t be actively recruited for this job. Period, with very few exceptions. That’s what you should expect. If those cannot be found bards do actually do it better but the average joe may not know or appreciate it and the average bard may not know how good they actually are. Most people/groups will still reflex to a monk tank over a ranger out of habit despite the lack of on demand threat. Monks make excellent meat shields but suffer from no on demand threat.

B) If looking for a dps they will likely look for rog/monk/ench/mage over you. You will dps well but other classes can do it better. Rogues? Better. Mages? Better. Monks? generally better unless massive gear difference. Necro? In general better or on par unless you have end-game melee damage but necros still bring heals/utility that is pretty neato for those 'in the know'

C) If looking for a puller they will likely look for a monk over you. Indoors bards have an undeniable advantage. Outdoors rangers are supreme pullers but this could and will likely be overlooked.

Rangers only suffer in the sense that they are best at nothing but add a whole hell of a lot of value that is harder to define. They are capable tanks for all the reasons discussed in this thread. They are less than ideal for tanking ... again for the reasons discussed? They are premier pullers outdoors but lots of content is not flagged as such. They are good dps but fall behind some others. Buffs are valuable but the really important buffs can be given by others as well.

They suffer from the hybrid hex ... great overall but best at little. If you are well known and respected smart people will actively seek you out. If you have a strong reputation and are well known, again people MAY actively seek you out. In general, you have to expect that people don't know you and thus may pre-discriminate against you based on your class out of either a poor understanding what you can you or a poor expectation of what you WILL do or add based on experiences with mediocre ranger.

They aren't hated, but unfortunately they are often overlooked.

Last edited by Troxx; 06-05-2019 at 08:45 PM..
Old 06-05-2019, 08:42 PM
Planar Protector

Welp, I'll just have to deal with it. Rangers can solo well at least so I'll never be SoL. I plan to solo most of my 30's anyway, once I can reasonably take High Keep guards. Probably Crystal Caverns from there, but it depends on how often Geodes are camped there (there's orcs for Velium I guess).
Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 PM
Planar Protector

Rangers are loads of fun. Play well. Make a name for yourself. Make friends. I can promise you it is worth it and you will enjoy it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Versatile/Agile/Lethal ... but most of all fun. The class will not disappoint.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers are loads of fun. Play well. Make a name for yourself. Make friends. I can promise you it is worth it and you will enjoy it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The grind to 9 is always the worst for a hybrid, I just want my spells already haha.

But I'm coming up on level 5 now and I'll have roughly 200pp once I sell my bone chips, so maybe I can find a cheap Lammy on the market.
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 06-05-2019 at 09:00 PM..
Closed Thread