Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Sarnak

Default First time EQ stories

Thought this could be fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I remember being around 14 years old, I played halflife, and a TON of tribes, a friend I played tribes with lots told me this game called everquest was awesome. I only played first person shooters on PC, and my exposure to RPG's was ff7 and console games.

I didn't know anything about EQ, the box kinda looked cool. I figured it was like most shooters, it being first person and all, but set in a fantasy genre.

So I login, decide to make a dwarf paladin because it looked pretty cool. Clumsily discover that I have an inventory, and that I can get a sword. The music is kind of cool... So I start running around the city.

I figure its like any other game and you basically just kill shit. So after exploring for 3 minutes or so, I see a guard and figure "fuck him" and decide to kill him and see what the gameplay is all about. I instantly die, after a 2 minute loading screen I appear in a new place, and I don't have my sword anymore. So I run around a bit, then something started attacking me and I died again, and it goes back to 2 minutes of loading. At this point, I have no idea what the fuck is going on, where I am, why I don't have my sword anymore, and why I can't kill anything.

I just quit and thought the game was complete and utter shit compared to tribes. It wasn't until about 2 weeks later out of boredom I made a woodelf, and started to understand that EQ was actually a giant world, and things are persistent, and that everything pwns the living shit out of you at level 1 lol. I started talking to other people in the game, I used to use napster chatrooms back in the day haha, once I realized EQ was pretty much a giant chat room with pixels and shit to do, and people to run around with and explore new and wonderful zones with, I was hooked...

Honestly, there was like 0 hand holding with EQ when you logged in for the first time. Most games even back then kind of had an introduction, and eased you into it. That and the fact this was the first ever true 3D MMO, none of us really had any clue wtf a game like this was about. It, 100% pioneered a genre for decades to come.

Anyways another thread made me remember this, and I am sure there are lots of amusing stories lol.

Bashndash - < > 50 ogre war
Dashnbash - < > 50 highelf mage
Flashndash - < > 28 woodelf rogue
Old 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

Aww, I miss Tribes 2. Loved that game.

I actually didn't want to play EQ initially. A buddy told me how great it was, but I thought it sounded less fun than roleplaying in AOL chat rooms (which I did, and thought was fun). He showed me at his house one day though, then I took over his computer until he kicked me out.

When I convinced my parents to let me play a game on our phoneline that they had to pay a monthly fee for, somehow, I remember meeting an enchanter at the noobie log in Nek and thinking that his pet was a player in his party that had invis cast on him so that all I could see were his weapon and shield.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Aviak

I liked this alot. I watched a friend play before I actually played and I remember the first time I thought it was interesting is when he was grouped and he was playing a female human monk and he was grouped with an ogre shaman... I was so confused why he was up punching the goblin and the ogre was sitting down... Then he explained a bit and I thought it was neat and bought the game
Old 07-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Sarnak

I have several..

1.) First night I bought the game, make an Ogre Shaman on Rallos Zek, see another newbie and try to PK him and an Armadillo kills me. They assisted players apparently, like spiders would.

2.) Travelled to Neriak for the first time at level 9. We went from Feerrot -> Innothule - > S. Ro -> Oasis -> North Ro. -> Commons -> Nektulos. We swam the entire way through Oasis because the light races would PK us, as was custom at the time.

Got to Neriak and went exploring until a fucking level 50 Shadowknight Troll guildmaster killed me. Any Ogre Shaman (Rallos Zek deity) will get killed by this fucker if you get too nosy there.

Had to run all the way back because I hadn't found a bind yet.

3.) GM gave me the last piece for my Wizard epic. Had been bound in PoFear for over a month checking every day w/ Eye of Zomm and the broken golem was never up. Turns out they busted the faction and he was getting insta gibbed by the rest of the zone. GM felt bad and handed me the final piece and said "a month is long enough"

4.) Naked PKs became a problem - usually Wizards - they just stalked the major classic dungeons (Sol B and L Guk) and 9/10 times they got killed or got nothing, but once a while they got some doofuses FBSS or found someone low health.

I figured out how to XP loss them with my pet once I found their bind - attack them, get them low, hit my own pet and zone - pet became NPC and they were still on hatelist.

I took a PK I found from 50 to 48 doing this and a GM showed up. I tried to play dumb and he said "look, he was 49 when he petitioned, he's 48 now". I just explained that these guys were a cancer and I was trying to get them back the only way I knew how since they never wore any droppable equip ...he said "ok, cut it out, and if he asks tell him I gave you a warning"

<3 GM Viik

5.) Enchanters could charm and type /pet get lost and you would slash yourself for 32k and take XP loss. It was rough but not that many were abusing this.
Last edited by TarukShmaruk; 07-22-2015 at 03:31 PM..
Old 07-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Kobold

A friend gave me a bunch of gear to help me level right before he went on vacation for a month... I fell off Kelethin with it, didn't realize people could help me find the corpse, and eventually gave up on finding it. By the time he got back I was an almost naked level 10. He told me he was going to power level me on his druid, but didn't want to waste his time after how crappy I was at the game... He was definitely right.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Fire Giant

I heard about EQ from my brother. He told me that we could level characters together and that once you got high enough level you could sell them for real money. Being only 14 at the time I found the idea of playing video games and getting money for it to be a more than worthwhile venture. (ZOMG RMT!) So I bought the game and it wouldn't work on my shitty computer, it had some processor I can't remember the name of.

A few months later I got enough cash together from selling anime (mostly DBZ) on VHS tapes over the internet to buy my own computer. I researched computers and EQ enough to get a good one and finally be able to play. Later my brother and I realized that leveling up in this game took forever and that RMT was not a viable money making solution for kids in high school. Plus we made a ton of money selling anime, but that eventually ended (damn you Funamation!).

My brother stopped playing after about a month which was great for me because I was totally hooked. The first character I made was a high elf magician. I got him to level 3 and then made a dwarf paladin named Curtischoy. I went on to play that paladin for 10 years.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Fire Giant

A friend of mine showed me his lvl 35 halfling druid on EQ when I was 14 or 15 I think velious was newly released. I was obsessed with fantasy RPG stuff and couldn't get the game out of my head. So shortly after that I got my dad to buy the original three pack with vanilla/kunark/velious. I remember the install/registration process being super long and I had the original guidebook to tide me over while I watched the install. My dad was super skeptical about the whole subscription thing and it took a bunch of convincing to get him to put his credit card in so I could play.
So bam install completed like 2 days later on my shitty computer. I made a troll shadowknight and proceded to get lost in innothule swamp for hours on end. Some passer buy dropped mithril armor and that 2hander sword that did strength tap proc. Everytime I zoned the game would crash and I would have to restart so I started exploring out into the world very slowly. As I was wandering around oasis at like level 6 or 7 (because someone told me to go to EC and I had no idea how to get there) A sand giant caught me and killed me and the game crashed on the loading screen. Then my dad came home and grounded me for something or other and I couldn't get on the computer for a week. Well I knew that the corpse with all my newly gotten gear on it would expire before then so I spent the next few days begging him to let me play for like 30 mins for a CR.
That was my first EQ experience. loved it.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Kobold

Made a human sk, took the boat towards bb, died on sister island, rerolled.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

I was poor as a kid and I didnt have a computer. I used to go to my buddys house and watch him play (for like 8 hours a day). He had a bard named Cask on CT. After a few months of begging my parents for a computer, they purchased me an E-machines desktop for like $250. I rolled a DE SK named Divian and mained him for about a year or so.

I'm glad i didn't have that unknown feeling when I first rolled a character since I watched my friend play for months
Old 07-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

Picked up the Kunark expansion because I thought the Iksar was like a dragon (dragons are my favorite and yet I have STILL NEVER SEEN ONE IN PERSON IN GAME >[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ), my mom saw the comment about never expecting to see your loved one again on the back and just sighed and bid me farewell. I was almost thirteen at the time.

I made a high elf magician, I think, and got lost after zoning into southern Felwithe and drowned myself under the caster guild to escape (think I fell into the water and couldn't get out, noticed the air timer, and realized I could die like that). Frustrated, I made a cleric to start again and managed to get places without getting lost. Never did get that first corpse back, now that I think about it. One thing I like to do still is climb stuff in game. Levitate is one of my favorite spells. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I also had various interesting and strange encounters as a female char, but those didn't occur until later.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Closed Thread